Search the forum,

Discuss Advice Please on a NEW BUSINESS OPNENING as a Gas Safe Engineer in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Tony

Gas Engineer
Hi everyone, am about getting a van for my business as a Gas safe engineer.
what do I need to put into consideration towards establishing business.
which company sector offer a good public liability insurance for business
what are the major TOOLS do I need to get in the van for as business contractor.
if there are anymore for me to know as BUSINESS CONTRACTOR, please endeavour to let me know.
thanks so much.

Kind Regards.
Tony

Hi everyone, am about getting a van for my business as a Gas safe engineer.
what do I need to put into consideration towards establishing business.
which company sector offer a good public liability insurance for business
what are the major TOOLS do I need to get in the van for as business contractor.
if there are anymore for me to know as BUSINESS CONTRACTOR, please endeavour to let me know.
thanks so much.

Kind Regards.
Tony
Are you newly qualified or experienced?

Newly qualified, but have had my business probationary lifted by gas safe inspector. When he came to inspect my first job/work.

Thanks scott_d, the tools I have are just for servicing and repairs. Do I need to stock my van as a businessman in progress.

Just add the tools as and when you need them. It’s exciting bring newly qualified I know but no need to rush out and spend money unnecessarily. In terms of PL insurance just go on any comparison site.
All the best

Thanks scott_d, the tools I have are just for servicing and repairs. Do I need to stock my van as a businessman in progress.

Of course you do.
Do you want to run around all day fixing gas appliances, or attempting to, and not having any parts in stock. Customer get jack of having people turn up and diagnose faults, then turn around and say they have to order parts and will be back in 3 days.
You would probably have a heart attack if I told you what I spend on spare parts for boilers and other appliances in the months before our winter.
I know I almost did - but got rid of most of them at a healthy margin.
Most customer were happy - heating fixed on first visit.

Of course you do.
Do you want to run around all day fixing gas appliances, or attempting to, and not having any parts in stock. Customer get jack of having people turn up and diagnose faults, then turn around and say they have to order parts and will be back in 3 days.
You would probably have a heart attack if I told you what I spend on spare parts for boilers and other appliances in the months before our winter.
I know I almost did - but got rid of most of them at a healthy margin.
Most customer were happy - heating fixed on first visit.
You cannot stock every part for every boiler. It is impossible. You stock the key items for the popular boilers in your location. Anything else is a second visit.

As a new business with presumably a small customer base, you need to balance very carefully what you spent on a van, tools and stock.
It's no good having a fully stocked van with all the tools to fit the spares and have no food on the table at home.

You cannot stock every part for every boiler. It is impossible. You stock the key items for the popular boilers in your location. Anything else is a second visit.
True, I didn't mean to say that I carry every part for every boiler, but being in the game for a long time, generally have an idea of what parts are required the most. We also have a much smaller range of boilers over here than you guys do.
Generally carry up to a dozen PCB's, combustion fans, pumps, relief valves and exp tanks + many more items.
And room thermostats

I carry no stock for boiler repairs. Used to but ended up carrying parts around for ages and sometimes accidently cost myself money by damaging the part or whatever. Find a local independent who should have their finger on the pulse, parts wise. As you grow you may want to spend on parts but it is so difficult to guess what you need before you even get a call about it. With experience you may want to buy something for a job when you are in merchant anyway as you may have a fair idea of what you need before you go, but this can also bite you in the butt as you buy a part and its something else, so that's my van stock I suppose. Either, visit and diagnose, collect part that day (chargeable time to and from) if I am close to a trusted merchant who has it in stock and fit it, if I have time that day, or order and return to fit. (Two call outs charged)

Reply to Advice Please on a NEW BUSINESS OPNENING as a Gas Safe Engineer in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all Noticed bad smell in my drain out side put my hand down and it unclogged it for now however I checked my sewer drain and after flushing my toilet a good few times nothing is going to the sewer so don't know is there a blockage or what way it works many thanks and advice would be grateful
Replies
Views
Hi guys. I'm trying to identify a toilet model before ordering a seat for a customer. I went to what used to be a Roca stockist (they no longer are) and one of the guys there reckoned it might be "The Gap". I went to the new stockist and the guy there disagreed it was "The Gap" and that he'd...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have an old steel water mains pipe (approx 45mm) that I need to connect to a new pehd water mains (25mm). I can't get at it to create a new thread so what's the best way of connecting the two? Cheers, Peter
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock