Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Checkout our Plumbers Insurance area - heavily discounted Public Liability Insurance and Van Insurance specifically designed for plumbers.

Discuss ADVICE PLEASE MINIMUM CLEARANCE ON A COMBI FLUE in the Central Heating Forum area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

1. Peter T

Peter T New Member

Good Afternoon

Please can anyone confirm what the minimum distance the top of the flue pipe should be from the eaves and guttering if the flue is extended so the end of the flue is past the fascia and gutters and releases any gasses
    into the open air. I have an Intergas 28/24 combi boiler
    In the manual it says that minimum distance from the eaves is 200mm and gutters 75mm, but these measurements apply to a wall terminal and not a flue that is not extended beyond the fascia and gutters.

I have been told that on Valliant boilers the minimum distance in this scenario is 25mm.

Any advice will be much appreciated. The boiler has been fitted by a gas safe engineer for two years and I worry the clearance is not correct.

Thank you
    Peter

2. ShaunCorbs

ShaunCorbs S. Mod Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

25mm normally aslong as it’s past the front of the gutters

If not anywhere from 200-300 mm

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Craig Watson

Craig Watson Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

As Shaun says but here's the proof to put your mind at ease

Screenshot_20190309-121308.png

• Winner Winner x 1
  4. Peter T

Peter T New Member

Hello Shaun
    Thank you for your swift response. It should be ok then but the engineer cut it into the fascia board when fitting it so I have always been concerned and it doesn’t look good . I think he could have lowered the boiler when he fitted it but took the easiest option .
    Thanks again
    Peter

5. Peter T

Peter T New Member

Thank you Craig

You both have been very helpful. That makes it very clear .

Peter

• Like Like x 1
  6. rpm

rpm Trusted Plumber Top Contributor!!

You been worrying about this for two years?

7. Peter T

Peter T New Member

I see it every day and it niggles you when you see it. But the chap who installed it assured me that it was ok. But I have wanted to change the soffit boards so I was always worried there wasn’t enough clearance but it should be ok now.
    Yes I do over analyse things :)
    Thanks again

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  8. scott_d

scott_d Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Post a picture

9. Peter T

Peter T New Member

10. ShaunCorbs

Not great but nothing unsafe

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. S.P.S.

S.P.S. GSR

Il be honest, I would not be happy with that as a finished job...
    Brick work is horrendous and he’s clearly got the flue too close to the soffit and fascia so cut it to comply with the min 25mm. It’s hard to see exactly how close it it, but I wouldn’t say it’s “condemnable”!

The Pressure relief pipe also needs to face into the wall, not straight down!
    Potentially 80+degree water sprayout... needs to hit the wall to cool and dissipate the flow!

Stu.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Craig Watson

Craig Watson Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Agree with above, looks a mess but apart from the prv, it is technically safe. How is that condensate fixed? Hard to tell on the pic but it looks like the 1 1/4" elbow is just hovering over the condensate pipe. Is there actually a reducer in the fitting?

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. ShaunCorbs

Air gap but look like the elbows moved as there is a rough cement line where it was

14. S.P.S.

S.P.S. GSR

Looks that way Craig!

15. Peter T

Peter T New Member

Hello
    I know I have had other issues as well. I was very disappointed with the work that was done. With hindsight I wish I had used someone else but I trusted this person.

You learn by your mistakes.

Thank you again for all your advice and commnents
    It’s great to get some sound. professional and impartial advice.

Much appreciated
    Peter

• Like Like x 2