Search the forum,

Discuss ADVICE PLEASE MINIMUM CLEARANCE ON A COMBI FLUE in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Good Afternoon

Please can anyone confirm what the minimum distance the top of the flue pipe should be from the eaves and guttering if the flue is extended so the end of the flue is past the fascia and gutters and releases any gasses
into the open air. I have an Intergas 28/24 combi boiler
In the manual it says that minimum distance from the eaves is 200mm and gutters 75mm, but these measurements apply to a wall terminal and not a flue that is not extended beyond the fascia and gutters.

I have been told that on Valliant boilers the minimum distance in this scenario is 25mm.

Any advice will be much appreciated. The boiler has been fitted by a gas safe engineer for two years and I worry the clearance is not correct.

Thank you
Peter

25mm normally aslong as it’s past the front of the gutters

If not anywhere from 200-300 mm

As Shaun says but here's the proof to put your mind at ease

Screenshot_20190309-121308.png

Hello Shaun
Thank you for your swift response. It should be ok then but the engineer cut it into the fascia board when fitting it so I have always been concerned and it doesn’t look good . I think he could have lowered the boiler when he fitted it but took the easiest option .
Thanks again
Peter

I see it every day and it niggles you when you see it. But the chap who installed it assured me that it was ok. But I have wanted to change the soffit boards so I was always worried there wasn’t enough clearance but it should be ok now.
Yes I do over analyse things :)
Thanks again

Not great but nothing unsafe

Il be honest, I would not be happy with that as a finished job.....
Brick work is horrendous and he’s clearly got the flue too close to the soffit and fascia so cut it to comply with the min 25mm. It’s hard to see exactly how close it it, but I wouldn’t say it’s “condemnable”!

The Pressure relief pipe also needs to face into the wall, not straight down!
Potentially 80+degree water sprayout... needs to hit the wall to cool and dissipate the flow!

Stu.

Agree with above, looks a mess but apart from the prv, it is technically safe. How is that condensate fixed? Hard to tell on the pic but it looks like the 1 1/4" elbow is just hovering over the condensate pipe. Is there actually a reducer in the fitting?

Agree with above, looks a mess but apart from the prv, it is technically safe. How is that condensate fixed? Hard to tell on the pic but it looks like the 1 1/4" elbow is just hovering over the condensate pipe. Is there actually a reducer in the fitting?

Air gap but look like the elbows moved as there is a rough cement line where it was

Hello
I know I have had other issues as well. I was very disappointed with the work that was done. With hindsight I wish I had used someone else but I trusted this person.

You learn by your mistakes.

Thank you again for all your advice and commnents
It’s great to get some sound. professional and impartial advice.

Much appreciated
Peter

Looks like an ideal flue. Do Intergas use the same?
I wonder how good/bad it looks inside

The 2 pictures of the hole is
Where I had taken one of the reads off to plaster. He had just left the hole in the wall where the old heater was. Same in the other bedroom.
As I said I have had several issues.

@scott_d intergas and ideal flues look the same, but I couldn’t say if they are the same, I’ve never compared the two side my side!

It would be interesting to see the inside install, but I don’t think the OP will want even more criticism to worry about!! :confused:

Stu.

Last edited:
I don’t think any of us could reasonably say if there’s anything further to be concerned about with the install. It looks reasonable inside, as you can’t see much in the way of pipework.

The holes in the wall are obviously not on.

If I were you I’d get a new heating engineer who can give the system a thorough check if you are still concerned. System water condition is one thing that should be checked.

Stu

@scott_d intergas and ideal flues look the same, but I couldn’t say if they are the same, I’ve never compared the two side my side!

It would be interesting to see the inside install, but I don’t think the OP will want even more criticism to worry about!! :confused:

Stu.
Do they allow white on show externally?

Thank you to all who have responded. It’s good to know is looks safe if not good workmanship.

Very Much appreciated
Have a good weekend
Peter

The flue is'ant sealed around as the products of combustion can get into the loft can't be passable surely

That isn’t an issue per say, the plume is directed past any over hangs/protrusions that could effect the clearance of flue products. You could quite acceptably have a vented soffit board running right the way across. Most eaves are ventilated in some manner.

Stu.

Before you all carry on casting judgement, just bear in mind that you’ve no idea how much the job cost to install and what was agreed before the job commenced.
Agreed on the bricking up/making good
But it needs to meet regs and I think thats what everyone else was concerned with

The picture of the pressure relief could be deceiving and actually very slightly aim towards the wall. The cut out of the fascia is due to the height of the boiler being mounted so high and that’s been done to due to making up the hole on the day of install, so the bracket has been fixed just above the square hole. But the flue meets regs, so nowt more to see here.

And as I posted previously, we don’t know the cost or verbal contract between either the homeowner or landlord.

Hello
I have been out so could not respond until now. This chap was a friend and he gave me his quote and I did not try to knock him down. I have done a lot to help this chap but I didn’t expect any freebies I just wanted a good job done. On the night he finished he finished the job late and he was paid in full as I trusted the work would be fine. I went with his advice on the boiler , fittings etc as i trusted him as you would. He said he would do all the work himself but he left someone to carry out the work which is where it all went wrong as plainly he was not up to doing the job in his own. I have a big hole behind the boiler, the boiler came away from the wall, the pipes were not lagged in the loft, I had a leak in the loft to mention a few issues. When I questioned him about why the boiler was cut into the fascia he told me the boiler could not be lowered as it would have to be 200mm below the eaves.This never made sense as the flue was in the eaves where he installed it. I think he either drilled the flue before checking height outside or could not be bothered to take tiles off , lower the boiler and make good the big hole that is behind the boiler.

As you can see I am still upset as I thought he was a good friend. If I had known he would do the job like this I can assure you I would not have asked him to do it in the first place.

I just wanted to clear this up.

Thank you all again
Peter

Reply to ADVICE PLEASE MINIMUM CLEARANCE ON A COMBI FLUE in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock