1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Discuss Advice on work done by gas safe engineer in the Gas Safe Register Forum - Public Forum area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

1. newgal85

newgal85 Member

Hi Guys - sorry but this is going to be a long post!

Recently had some work done in my house to move a boiler, clean cold water tank and pressurize central heating system - this was done by a gas safe registered engineer. Another plumber has come over to do other work in the house and he has mentioned that the work done is not correct - apparently the magna cleaner should be attached to the return pipe but its attached to the flow pipe and the cold water tank has not been been cleaned out - have pictures to confirm this- just wanted a second opinion before I went back to the engineer or request an inspection by Gas Safe - should the magna cleaner be attached to the return pipe as he advised? If so should I call the original plumber back (he's not cooperating much as he is not happy I gave my other jobs to another plumber) or should I let him know Im going to complain to Gas Safe? P.S he hasnt given certificate yet either but I guess legally he has 30 days to do this so I can't do anything about this until the time is up - as it was a cash job he said he can't give me reciept either although previously he confirmed in text that he could give me a receipt - any advice on how to deal with this situation?

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  2. moonlight

moonlight Plumber GSR

Magna Clean should be on the return before the boiler, to collect debris etc. Not on its way out of the boiler.

Last edited: May 13, 2019
  3. Harvest Fields

Harvest Fields S. Mod Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

That isn’t a gas safe issue. Also I’m sure you can fit an Adey filter anywhere. But it is preferred on the return as that is where it will do the best job. Post the pictures that you have and I will have a look.

• Agree Agree x 11
    • Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
  4. Mrb

Mrb New Member

It’s not a Gas Safe issue.
    Magna Clean can be fitted anywhere on the system but best performance is after the last radiator and before the boiler.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  5. Harvest Fields

Sure I have almost just said that?

• Funny Funny x 7
  6. moonlight

moonlight Plumber GSR

Just out of interest how old was the boiler that was moved?

7. Mrb

Mrb New Member

Yep, sorry too slow, got distracted half way through replying.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Harvest Fields

I know that feeling

9. newgal85

newgal85 Member

The Boiler is 1.5 yrs old- Vaillant

10. Riley

Riley S. Mod Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

And said Gas Safe will not be interested. Magna clean can be on the flow where return is not practical.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. king of pipes

king of pipes Trusted Plumber GSR

As my fellow GSI 's have stated this is not a gas safe issue , the Magna clean would be better fitted on the return but as as a last resort can be fitted on the flow . Kop

12. Rob Foster

Rob Foster Top Contributor!!

correct

13. Rob Foster

Rob Foster Top Contributor!!

I cannot see this is a Gsr issue
    the rest of your post seems to relate to a MagnaClean filter
    it really does not matter where these second rate filters are fitted , flow or return they will do as they say on the box.

I presume you had a fixed price quotation before you engaged your GSR engineer so you BOTH understood your mutual
    obligations to each other

centralheatking

14. Harvest Fields

Second rate in your own personal opinions you mean. I think they are top draw mate and so do many others.

• Agree Agree x 5
  15. bogrodder

bogrodder Plumber GSR

30 days for what certificate....legally.

• Like Like x 1