Search the forum,

Discuss Advice on WB 28i junior in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

I need some advice on whether to have the early model burner, 87181206190 replaced with the same part number Mk 5 type. I have my annual service due in a couple of weeks, and while booking it with the guy who did it last year, I remembered that he had commented about the burner being the old type. The perforations are different in the current type. The boiler, however is 11 years old and although it has been 100% reliable so far, it must be coming to the time when anything that needs doing other than routine servicing would not be worth it. I could buy one of the later burners in time for him to install at the service, but would it be worth the £25 cost even at the higher prices of gas today, and would it even be more efficient?

I wouldn’t unless there starting to crack etc

I tend to be suspicious about design upgrades, it might have been only cheaper to make.
The service engineer who mentioned the diference last year did not know whether the new style burner would be worth fitting, and unless I have one to hand when he comes, the old one will go back in, that is why I asked the question. He might be able to get one locally on the day, but it would certainly cost me much more than £25.

Last edited:
I disagree with your pessimism, it may well be cheaper to make but looking at the design changes it also looks like quite a lot more thought and research has gone into the burner design which would've been done to also improve efficiency. For very little outlay I'd make change.

Last edited:

Reply to Advice on WB 28i junior in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock