Search the forum,

Discuss Advice needed!! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Bushwacker

Hey chaps!

Since someone decided that you need paperwork over experience to do a job im in a bit of a pickle.
Been plumbing for about 3 years still need and want the knowledge. Last year i went back to college to gain a 'qualification' in plumbing i ended up leaving with a Tech Cert Diploma Level 2. I feel that i have just wasted a year at college...

Ive been thinking and telling myself that i NEED the NVQ level 2 and then go onto do my Level 3. What would you advise?

I was told to stick with the level 2 diploma and jump on a gas train course but again at the back of my mind is the NVQ. Im at a crossroads and not sure which route to take.

Advice and suggestions greatly appreciated!

Jay.

The technical certs give you the background knowledge the nvq's say that you have the experience to back it up. I'd chase the nvq route and apply for WIAPS (doesn't cost a lot and just looks good to customers). Putting yourself through as much training as possible as and when you can is best in an ideal world, but ultimately only you can really make the judgement call as to what you want and need for your career.

Get the NVQ (city and guilds 6189) if you can, you can then class yourself as a plumber and proceed with your Gas training. The amount of training and assessments for your gas will be a lot less if you have your Level 2 NVQ, if you don't get the NVQ then you'll be classed as a new entrant and will have to build a workplace portfolio for your gas, and yet you still won't be classed as a qualified plumber, just a plumber's mate. You've done the majority of your Level 2, all you now need to do is a remaining couple of units of the 6189, which will involve 2 or 3 site assessments from a assessor and taking some pictures and doing some write ups on about 4 good installations. If you're working in the industry then you could complete the NVQ in a matter of months. Just be very careful of who you get to do your NVQ, look for a local training company that can easily come onto site with you for the assessment process. As a guidance we charge £1000+vat to complete the NVQ units, this includes your registration and certification fees.

Thanks. Think i will go in for the NVQ will probably do it through college. If my firm take me on as an 'apprentice' they get a grant of £1500 and i dont have to pay a penny do to being just of age to do so!

The NVQ is a really valuable qualification, only go for gas right way if you're dead certain you want to be in that field for a long time. The NVQ is the much safer option in my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Advice needed!! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello, I am Aiden longster and I am looking for some plumbing work. I have just completed my level 2 diploma and either looking for a level 3 apprenticeship or some work
Replies
Views
Hi all, Currently undergoing my level 2, hoping to get finished in the next few weeks. Looking to gain some experience, if anyone needs a mate etc. Im currently in the forces will be leaving in May however at the minute I can work Mondays/Fridays and weekends. Do not want paying just happy...
Replies
Views
E
Hello All, I`m currently on my level two plumbing course at college and I`m looking for some part time work if anyone could offer me some advice. I`ve been trying to get on an apprenticeship but I`ve had no joy so far, so I`m hoping to gain some experience by working alongside an experienced...
Replies
Views
Ellis J
E
I want to start working on the gas side of plumbing and heating. I am a sole trader working with plumbing and heating and have the NVQ level 2.I would like to know what is (if there is)the best way of gaining gas training and qualification without causing too much disruption and time out of my...
Replies
Views
Hi guys, I’m looking to get my foot properly in the door of the plumbing world really. I’m trying to gain as much experience as possible. I’ve completed my level 3 diploma at college. I’ve got almost a years experience installing air conditioning, while doing a small few odd plumbing jobs here...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock