Search the forum,

Discuss Advice needed in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

BrizzleJordan

Hi,

Just need a bit of advice regarding plumbing qualifications.

I'm 19 and have been offered the chance to go on a level 2 NVQ in Plumbing & Heating Course and work with a Plumber.

Would the level 2 NVQ be enough for me to be able to carry out work on site or work for myself, or would I need the Level 3 NVQ for this?

Also is there any other qualifications required to be a qualified plumber and go self employed or work on site?

I have spent more than 3 grand on tools as I've done a lot of general building for the last few years but now I want to settle down as a qualified Plumber and Heating engineer.

Any advice is appreciated, Thanks

If you can go with a plumber and get your foot in the door then go for it.
do that and see where that takes you, you might be happy just doing site work :)

Would a level 2 NVQ and being Gas Registered be enough for me to work on site though or go self employed after experience?

As I see alot of plumbers are out there with their own company having a Level 2 NVQ and being gas registered

Last edited by a moderator:
Sadly you dont need any qualifications to be a self employed plumber as many out there arnt,but an nvq will give you the qualification

Sadly you dont need any qualifications to be a self employed plumber as many out there arnt,but an nvq will give you the qualification

True but who would hire you if they know you haven't got any qualifications.

Personally all i have atm is oftec, unvented and waiting on my apprenticeship to be awarded to register gas safe, i have been doing my own stuff for a year.

however I've been taught by good engineers.
don't try to run before you walk, mistakes in this industry cost hugely!

Get in with that plumber and do the level 2, then the 3 and build from there with what you need. Just because you'll have the piece of paper doesn't mean you'll be good enough at that point in time to go solo.

True but who would hire you if they know you haven't got any qualifications.

People will hire you if you have the qualifications and just as quickly boot you off site when you can't do the job!

qualifications arn't everything. In gas yes, plumbing not so much.

it's the ability and skills to do the job that count more than a piece of paper.

Personally all i have atm is oftec, unvented and waiting on my apprenticeship to be awarded to register gas safe, i have been doing my own stuff for a year.

however I've been taught by good engineers.
don't try to run before you walk, mistakes in this industry cost hugely!

Get in with that plumber and do the level 2, then the 3 and build from there with what you need. Just because you'll have the piece of paper doesn't mean you'll be good enough at that point in time to go solo.

what's oftec and unvented?

Yeah I think if I had the level 2 i'd find full-time work for building up some experience.

Do you know if the Level 2 teaches you alot or just the very basics?

Last edited by a moderator:
Not many businesses but you mentioned you were going self employed

People will hire you if you have the qualifications and just as quickly boot you off site when you can't do the job!

qualifications arn't everything. In gas yes, plumbing not so much.

it's the ability and skills to do the job that count more than a piece of paper.

But surely the whole point in a qualification is make you able to carry out 99% of the jobs.

If not then atleast know the problem and work out a way to solve it.

Not many businesses but you mentioned you were going self employed

It's ridiculously hard to get work on site these days hence the reason why I'd much rather be a self-employed tradesman.

Level 3 as i remember includes system design which can be useful

But surely the whole point in a qualification is make you able to carry out 99% of the jobs.

If not then atleast know the problem and work out a way to solve it.

Thats years of experience, hard work and learning, not just getting a qualification :)

with gas you legally need a qualifications to work on different appliances and as such is law.

unvented is pressurised hot water cylinders.
oftec is installation, service and commissioning of oil appliances and storage :)

Most of your learning would be on the job rather than on the course.

Go with the guy and get experience, you seem extremely green.
what made you decide on being a plumber and gas engineer?

Thats years of experience, hard work and learning, not just getting a qualification :)

with gas you legally need a qualifications to work on different appliances and as such is law.

unvented is pressurised hot water cylinders.
oftec is installation, service and commissioning of oil appliances and storage :)

Most of your learning would be on the job rather than on the course.

Go with the guy and get experience, you seem extremely green.
what made you decide on being a plumber and gas engineer?

I decided to be a plumber and gas engineer due to what I think would suit me.

I've done Carpentry and Joinery for 3 years and can comfortably hang doors, kitchen worktops, make shelves, wardrobes, tables, fit skirting boards and other small jobs but it's a trade I don't see myself in long term so I think Plumbing would be well worth trying.

I've always wanted to be self employed in a trade as the whole running your own business idea excites me. I hope to get there one day.

Im not a qualified plumber, but I am gas safe reg and run my own business, you only need the nvq to work on sites, working in someones home you dont need any qualifications to work on the water side, so long as you are competant. Im working in a house at the moment that had been worked on by a qualified plumber, rough is not the word. Qualifications mean nothing without ability to do the job, If you dont get the NVQ , you wont get work on sites though as you cant get a CSCS card for plumbing without it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Advice needed in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I want to start working on the gas side of plumbing and heating. I am a sole trader working with plumbing and heating and have the NVQ level 2.I would like to know what is (if there is)the best way of gaining gas training and qualification without causing too much disruption and time out of my...
Replies
Views
I have just completed my NVQ 2 qualification but need to gain experience. I have messaged companies etc, but no reply from them. Is there any other avenues i could go? any help would be much appreciated. Thank you
Replies
Views
Hello all, my name is Michael and I am 18. I have my level 2 and 3 qualifications in plumbing and I also have a full driving licence I cant find an apprenticeship. I'm based near Tadcaster, North Yorkshire (between Leeds and York). Does anyone know anybody that might want to take me on as an...
Replies
Views
Hi there, looking to gain experience as a plumber's mate in Essex area, I'm from Rayleigh and have a full driving licence and Van. Looking for a step into domestic plumbing. I have experience working in general property maintenance for a family business. I have completed a Level 2 technical...
Replies
Views
E
Hello All, I`m currently on my level two plumbing course at college and I`m looking for some part time work if anyone could offer me some advice. I`ve been trying to get on an apprenticeship but I`ve had no joy so far, so I`m hoping to gain some experience by working alongside an experienced...
Replies
Views
Ellis J
E
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock