Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Checkout our Plumbers Insurance area - heavily discounted Public Liability Insurance and Van Insurance specifically designed for plumbers.

Discuss Advice Needed Help! Old Style Gas Hob in the Gas Safe Register Forum - Public Forum area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Paul Walker

Paul Walker New Member

I am desperate for help, my 73 year old father asked me to complete his meter readings online for him which I did. I was asked if we wanted a smart meter which I thought would be a great idea for him. However when teh engineer turned up he inspected the appliances and found that his gas hob which is a Zanussi A9019 and has been installed for many years was not compliant. The hob has a glass lid and there is no safety device to cut out the supply when the lid is closed. its not a question of the safety device being inoperable - there isn't one fitted (By design I would assume due to age). The engineer has condemned the unit and capped my fathers supply. He now has no hot water, no heating, no cooking facility. Was the engineer correct in his actions? apart from the clear morale issue of leaving a 73 year old without any heat or cooking, technically if the device was not designed with the safety device surely there must but thousands out there that are not compliant? Your help and advice would be really appreciated. thanks

2. ShaunCorbs

ShaunCorbs S. Mod Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

They do a visual and if anything doesn’t comply they shut the whole supply off and tell you to get a gas safe engy in to fix the issue/ turn you back on

As there not fully gas safe etc eg can’t repair or replace

3. firemant

firemant Plumber GSR

There is nothing wrong with the hob. If there is no FSD factory fitted, it is not required. This industry is full of morons who read or are told something and have no clue as to how to interpret it.

OP: The age of your father has no bearing on how we are required to react in the face of ceratin situations - the process is laid down by Regulations and Codes of Practice, and we are obliged to follow them. However, in this case, you have been visited by an over zealous and under trained operative.
    If you have the inclination, phone Gas Safe, explain the situation, and ask them to clarify the position, with notes on the relevant Reg no's. and get a name of the conatct. They are unlikely to take any action, but when you then phone the company to complain and demand that they rectify - the weight of a named Gas Safe individual will carry more weight than a Plumbing Website Keyboard Warrior. All IMO.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. firemant

firemant Plumber GSR

Does the cooker carry a label as per the below? If not, DO NOT quote this, if it does then fill your boots. If it does not, ask them to provide details of the clause upon which they are relying to support their fitter.

Excerpt from:

The Gas Cooking Appliances (Safety) Regulations 1989

5.2 (b)
    in the case of an appliance incorporating a shut-down lid which is not so constructed that the hot-plate burners are automatically shut off when the lid is shut down, the appliance shall bear a warning, set out in legible and durable characters under the lid, that it is dangerous to close the lid without extinguishing the hot-plate burners.
    H

5. bogrodder

bogrodder Plumber GSR

I’ve been to a situation like this a couple of times, me and the tenant/ customer agreed for me to take the lid off.

Job done

6. firemant

firemant Plumber GSR

That is fair enough, BR, but why shoud the OP pay cash for an RGI to re-connect the gas and reinstate the appliances, as well as modify a legal appliance because an inept operative has got it wrong. It is occuring too much, and punters need to make a stand. It also reduces the credibility of trade professionals in the eyes of the public

7. bogrodder

bogrodder Plumber GSR

I completely agree, but I’ve know doubt that it’s protocol with any corporate company to switch off if not sure or doesn’t comply.

8. firemant

firemant Plumber GSR

Possibly, but they should not be allowed to get away with it. It makes my blood boil to see punters ripped off. It is an abuse of power

9. Rob Foster

Rob Foster Top Contributor!!

What a bastard jobsworth I am ashamed to walk the same earth as one like this centralheatking

• Like Like x 1
  10. firemant

firemant Plumber GSR

Do you mean me or the meter mucker ?

11. Harvest Fields

Harvest Fields S. Mod Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

What planet are you on. Even though this is completely annoying. These engineers are told to cap off if there is something outside there scope. You may not like it but if it was something you wasn’t sure of you would do the exact the same thing. The above regs only apply if there was a notice on the coker, which there wouldn’t have been and it isn’t his job to write it on. We may not like it but he has done his job. Cut people some slack, you only have one side of the story and haven’t been onsite.

• Like Like x 1
  12. townfanjon

townfanjon Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

The meter guy cocked up , simples .

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Harvest Fields

I still say it is easy to point the finger when you haven’t been on site.

We all know exactly what they do when they find something. It will never be any different.

14. Rob Foster

Rob Foster Top Contributor!!

There are loads of frustrated wannabes about. The re cycling police at the dump, parking thugs, and under qualfied new meter fitters who cannot do the full job. Then take it out on an old man...it would not happen to me. Smart meters are carp anyway, intermediate dis jointed technology. Sunday rant over ...centralheatking

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Harvest Fields

Yes it would happen to you Rob. As he has done what he is trained to, which is his job.