Search the forum,

Discuss Advice needed about new Monument 3450G torch in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

gumboots

Hello all,

My first post after occasionally dipping in and out of the forums picking up tips (thanks for that). Hoping somebody on here can help me out.

I have just bought a monument 3450G after a bit of research and it arrived today. On opening it, I found that there is some slight movement where the tube attaches to the body, you can feel the 'wobble' and hear slight knocking when you shake it.

Is this normal or should the tube be rigidly secure in the body? I have checked the fixing/gland nut for tightness and that seems OK. I haven't tried using it yet in case I need to send it back.:confused5:

I have tried emailing Monument but not had any reply.

Thanks
gumboots

Last edited by a moderator:
His there gumboots and welcome along to the forum. Tbh I've never had a monument torch but can say that my rothenberger ones have been similar with a little play from the small inlet tube . Try using it to see if the air gas mix is perfect and the flames the right colour and if not then return but you won't know till u fire it up. Happy soldering...

Thanks Kris.

I've been itching to have a play, I thought it would be OK but didn't want to just accept a sub-standard tool. I'll follow your suggestion and see how it goes.

I have that torch and there is no discernable play in mine. Undo the retaining nut completely and make sure a plastic tapered collett is sitting above the thread as that tightens the nozzle down, other than that make sure the body screws are tight and give it a nip it up but it should need much.

Thanks antdad.

I have checked the collet and it seems to be OK. I assume since the collet nut is plastic/nylon that it is meant to be only hand-tight. Is that right? Tightening it down certainly reduces the movement but doesn't get rid of it completely.

The voice of experience or bravado? haha.

I have tried it and it works fine as it stands.

Are replacement collet nuts easy to obtain if the thread strips?

Well I guess they made it a hex nut for a reason so just a little nip, nothing silly. If it works okay leave well alone, no idea if spare nuts are available but don't take apart unless you really have to, that IS from the voice of experience.

I like your reasoning. Especially given the size of the nut, compression spanner size.

Tiny nip-up and wobble gone. As for dismantling, I won't go there until it gives up the ghost.

Thanks again for your advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Advice needed about new Monument 3450G torch in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Another newbie in the forums. I’m a 33 year old and after having worked in the Graphic/Web Design industry for around 8 years, I worked a few positions, did a bit of freelance and was continually working late hours and evenings unpaid as well as every weekend. I ended up getting burnout and...
Replies
Views
Hi - I'm hoping someone can help with some advice. Ahead of some renovation work, we had a 50 year old old floor standing boiler in the utility room removed and a new Worcester Bosch Greenstar 24Ri wall mounted in the garage. Aside from being old, the original boiler worked perfectly. A full...
Replies
Views
Hello Plumbers/Gas Engineers, Excuse if this question has been raised but i am in a slight dilemma and for the past 2 weeks the internet has not really solved this, so I feel i need some real advice from real tradesmen. I am 21 and stuck behind a desk not progressing into a career, I have...
Replies
Views
I have read a few threads including one by Debbie Stano that were similar to my issue but that thread stopped a while back without any resolution I could see. I'm in Brisbane, Australia but I'm after general ideas from anyone here or in UK (I realise this is a UK based site). Point form...
Replies
Views
Hi All, Hope you and your families are well. Our boiler in the family home is on its last legs. Our family home: Has a Halstead Iheat 35c. It about 10 years old but has only been in use and on the wall for 5 years. Spread over four floors, including the attic and cellar. Has two bathrooms...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock