Search the forum,

Discuss Advice needed about an old boiler Glow Worm Space Saver 38. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Please could anyone advice. I have a 36 y.o. Glow Worm Space Saver 38. I have had it for the last 6 years when bought my current house. I serviced it for the first two years but then stopped servicing in fear that it could be condemned just for being old an inefficient or no spare parts. I did not have any problems with it and it works fine at the moment. I also don't use it much, only in freezing temperatures, and then for 1 hour twice a day only. I would be very happy to keep it until it dies as in my previous house with a modern boiler i had nothing but trouble repairing it.
Please advice how safe it is to use it unserviced. Could it ever explode? - this is my major fear as i heard of cases of boilers blowing up and killing people. Also could it cause a carbon monoxide poisoning even though it has a constant pilot light? Is it safe just to run it down without any further service?
Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Please could anyone advice. I have a 36 y.o. Glow Worm Space Saver 38. I have had it for the last 6 years when bought my current house. I serviced it for the first two years but then stopped servicing in fear that it could be condemned just for being old an inefficient or no spare parts. I did not have any problems with it and it works fine at the moment. I also don't use it much, only in freezing temperatures, and then for 1 hour twice a day only. I would be very happy to keep it until it dies as in my previous house with a modern boiler i had nothing but trouble repairing it.
Please advice how safe it is to use it unserviced. Could it ever explode? - this is my major fear as i heard of cases of boilers blowing up and killing people. Also could it cause a carbon monoxide poisoning even though it has a constant pilot light? Is it safe just to run it down without any further service?
Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

When I read these posts I often wonder if they are genuine....

I have this old car, I like it but I don't want to get it Mot'd in case it fails....

Seriously though, we don't condemn boilers to make money, we condemn them because they are unsafe and might kill someone. Get it serviced.

Old boilers are sometimes the most dangerous

Reply to Advice needed about an old boiler Glow Worm Space Saver 38. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi I have a Glow-worm back boiler which is giving me grief (I would have upgraded it by now but its a listed building and there's issues with venting through the external wall and I'm reluctant to go with an electric boiler instead (because of the consumption cost)). It's a sealed system. The...
Replies
Views
My daughter lives alone in a 3 bed semi in the west country. The house is 20 years old. The central heating and hot water are provided from a Glow-worm gas boiler working in conjunction with a Boilermate 2000. The central heating pipework is microbore. In view of the age of the boiler and...
Replies
Views
I am looking for some basic advice please My house is on two floors, approx 240m2 and a spacious loft with good headroom and access. Glow Worm 30HXi boiler burning LPG housed in a ground floor attached storage room running 16 radiators including 6 doubles and a standard low output shower on the...
Replies
Views
Hey there I'm looking for some advice on a potential issue I'm having with an old back boiler. So just moved into my parents' old house with my partner, it's a terrace with back to back chimneys in the kitchen and the sitting room. The fireplace in the kitchen is the old back boiler that hasn't...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, I'm looking for some advice please. My system has 5 Drayton Wiser TRVs. There are 8 rads over 3 storeys and a 170l unvented cylinder. One of the attic rads is in the same zone as the cylinder so just has a "dumb" TRV on it. The two bathroom rads also remain without TRVs and I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock