Search the forum,

Discuss advice, life swap in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

joeyraff

Hi there,

I was wondering if any one could advise or answer a few Q´s for me. My current situation is,

I’m 24, currently in the military but I’m looking to leave within the next two years. I’m a qualified personal trainer and am looking to do this along side a trade (self employed). I have a few friends that work as plumbers already so have been shadowing their work although it is limited at the moment (current eco climate).

My only option is to train part time and work full time so I can fund my training. So my questions are,

1. how long will it take to get to NVQ L3 part time (1 day a week at the centre, loads ofstudy time)?
2. how much will this training cost?
3. is the OLCI Newcastle any good?
4. do you think there is still a shortage of plumbers and will be in a couple of years time?
5. what is the earning potential for a self employed plumber in the north east?

Apologies if these questions are a bit basic, I have done some research but it would be nice to get some experienced feedback.

thanks

1 - You have to get NVQ Level 2 first. Mine took almost two years, two evenings a week. There are much quicker ways to do it, but my course only cost £600.

2. Don't know about Level 3. Like I said, Level two cost me £300 a year at a Government College (West Kent).

3. Don't know, from the south east, sorry!

4. I think there's a shortage of good plumbers, and a whole load of crap ones. As for a couple of years...yeah probably the need will still be there. Theres always people retiring/dying. So the industry always needs fresh talent.

5. Probably nothing like you'd hope for. £25K employed. £35K self employed with a good rep.

Are you TG 1 Joey?

(RAFF = RAF I presume), if so the general technical aspects of plumbing will come easily to you.

If by "qualified personal trainer" you mean you are a PTI, then in my experience you may struggle with fast tracking. Not meant to be rude, just based on my experience of such matters.

Good luck to you, make sure you get to grips with the ELCAS system and plan early to maximise your resettlement funds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to advice, life swap in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Hoping some of you folks can steer me in the right direction. I have been self employed for the last 15years supplying services to the industrial gas market. That ranges from installing cryogenic storage tanks, pumps and pipework to high pressure Hydrogen systems and bulk LNG. My work has...
Replies
Views
I am starting a large victorian renovation and it will involve, (amongst everything else) installation of an entirely new heating and plumbing system. Plumbing, like most trades, seems to have two main aspects; design and installation. The installation part on my last two projects was painful...
Replies
Views
Hi Folks, advice needed here... I am a 51 yr old leak detection engineer/plumber 2 years into self employment which i am loving. To get going I bought a 61 plate transit which has been great but is now off the road for a few weeks at least - which now that i am established and making decent...
Replies
Views
Over the summer I completed a level 2 diploma in plumbing (City and Guilds 6035) with Able Skills and am now looking to complete the NVQ level 2. Access training are offering an assessment package for £1500, which is competitive, but I am now nervous given the reviews I have seen on here. I am...
Replies
Views
Hi Everyone This is my first post here and I hope to hear from some of the experienced plumbers or anyone else in general that has had an issue with plumbing. In October 2018 a plumber came to install full central heating and a unventes cylinder which was zoned to two floors (Basement and...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock