Search the forum,

Discuss Advice for Self Employed NVQ please in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Britsplit

Hi there everyone. I could really use some advice if anybody has the time please. I have been working in Italy for the last 8 years renovating properties including installing plumbing and heating systems and I have really enjoyed this work. I intend to return to the UK this year and want to continue with this trade. I have heard that no qualification is 'needed' but I really think I would benefit from training officially and to ensure that I have the basic skills I think I do. However I am 48 years old with a family to support so I do not think an apprenticeship would be the right way forward and I have no employer lined up so the college day release route seems like a no go to which leads me to the condensed courses and my problem. As I understand I can gain a City and Guilds qualification but I really want to work my way up so would need the NVQ2 as well. If I were to go self employed off of the back of the City and Guilds qualification can I do the NVQ2 by being assessed on my own jobs? I have a few contacts here who would let me do plumbing work for them but none are plumbers.

Thanks anybody who can give me a bit of help with this.

So your contacts & there customers will allow you to practice your British plumbing skills & then you will be assessed !!! All the while you of course will be expecting to be paid for your troubles I guess?

How will you know that you are up to the required skills & knowledge then?

Do not expect to, as you say, "get work off the back of a C&G qualification". Without the NVQ part you have no proof that you can work as a plumber only that you have passed to two bit plumbing course in a classroom.

Do you know anything about the Water Supply (Water Fittings) Regulations 1999 ? No, well you will fit right in then, as neither do half the people working as plumber here at the moment. LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Advice for Self Employed NVQ please in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock