Search the forum,

Discuss Advice for courses/experience in Plumbing in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Richyrich

Hi all. Its been a while since I was last on here.

I was unable to find an apprenticeship last time but I did land a job as a Builder (Which I still do now)

Anyway....I am still looking to get into Plumbing but an apprenticeship is out of the question due to my age (25) and the drop in wages which I couldnt afford to take.

I have been reading different Plumbing books, watching Youtube videos and even perving on the Plumbers who we sub-contract to at work. I have no issue with teaching myself as much as possible and paying for my own course etc.

Someone I spoke to suggested I do an evening course which I think is the best option but I'm not sure how it works.

1. Is NVQ Level 1 mandatory? Or do some people start at NVQ Level 2?
2. To become self employed in the future, would NVQ Level 3 be required?
3. Please tell me I'm not crazy for wanting to go from Builder to Plumber! :rolleyes2:

When I done my apprenticeship at 16-17 years old we had lads in there 40's doing there apprenticeships. I went straight onto level 2 nvq. level 1 is achieved in about 2 months, 1 day a week in college. I never completed nvq 3 as I started to earn real dosh on price work and I didn't bother. In hind sight as a 31 year old man now I wished I done it as gas is included in level 3. If I want to do it now I got to pay about 3 grand.

Also, to do an nvq you must be employed or in the industry. if you do an evening course you would only get the technical certificate. which is good but the nvq is better

Thanks for your reply. That sounds encouraging.

An evening course would be ideal so I could still do my day job. Obviously being in the building trade I already know the basics of plumbing but whether or not I can move over into more depth is another question. We do house extensions as our main stream of work so I will try and get involved as much as possible then hopefully with the course it will put me in a better position. Cheers.

Hi all. Just another shout out to anybody who has space for me - West Midlands based.

I will be doing an evening course soon and can already do basic Plumbing tasks. I have my own small van, my own tools and a brain! Willing to get stuck in and learn as much as possible.

Just need that one person to give me a chance and I'll prove my worth. I will labour for you, make drinks etc etc, even core drill!!....Whatever you want me to do (No sexual favours!):nono:

Im a 25 year old chap with a good attitude, great with customers and enjoyable to be around unless your my Mrs!:D Plenty of experience on site with my Building work so not scared of getting stuck in.

Thanks, Rich.

Me again. I have two threads going, one relating to work (Which I now have) and this one, relating to courses.

I am really confused so hoping people can help me out.

My understanding is that there are two different types of course - Diplomas and NVQ's.
Diplomas are not as good as NVQ's.

My local colleges are the following;

Bournville College
South and City College Birmingham
Walsall College
Wolverhampton College
Dudley College

As you can see, there are loads of colleges but when I look at their list of courses, none of them offer NVQ's, it is only diplomas?

Ideally I wanted to enroll on a course this September but dont want to waste my time with a diploma if it counts for nothing.

I have done the hard part by finding an employer but just unsure with all the courses/codes etc....Any help is appreciated! :)

You should do an NVQ mate. Not knocking a diploma but most companies insist on plumbers having at least an NVQ level 2.

I only ever did the NVQ level 2 and I've been in work for 15 years and have my own business now so it's def worth doing. I decided against the NVQ 3 because got no interest in gas work. Also i've done the unvented and water regs which is covered in level3.

Trouble is it cost about 3 grand - 1500 quid per term - 2 terms. It depends how far you want to go with it.

But in answer to your question... Get the NVQ!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Advice for courses/experience in Plumbing in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock