Search the forum,

Discuss advice badly needed! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jamie

Hi all

I have been viewing the threads already posted and thought the best way to answer some questions i have would be to post my own.

I have been looking into going into the plumbing trade for a while now but i am unsure which route to take. The local colleges are only offering day relese courses, and i am unable to give up work so a part time home course seems the only way.I can gain on the job expierience with my friend who is a self employed plumber. however i am wanting to get the theoretical knowledge and qualification behind me first. 6129 seems to be the most mentioned however some places i have rung for info are mentioning the 6128, saying that this is the way to go. Is this in any way relevant? i want to gain the nvq2 but need to know where to start. i would appriciate any advice you could give me.

regards jamie

6129 or 6128 will not get you the nvq2 you will need to take a course to get your C&G then work for some one for about 6 months and then get assessed at extra cost if your friend is willing to take you on after your course then go for it but if you are going to look for a job when you have finished your course then most company's are too small or will not take you on if you have not done an apprenticeship

Thanks for replying. i know that to gain the nvq2 i will need onsite assesments, however to gain the nvq2 will i be able to this via the 6128 or is this just for heating and ventilation? i will be going self employed after gaining some expierience with my friend, and complition of a course. i have done bits and bobs before, and worked in the plumbing trade for years so i know the ins and outs of most of it however the courses on offer are quite confusing, all i want to know is if i do the 6128 can this lead to a nvq2?

regards

Hi, You need the City and Guilds 6129, once you have this gain some experience with your plumbing friend then you can be assessed on site for the city and guilds 6089 (NVQ2) approx 5/6 assesments, you will then be a qualified plumber. Getting some on site experience is the hardest part so if you know a plumber who can give you experience that is the main thing. Make sure who ever you do a course with includes the 6089 (NVQ2) assesments in their course as well as the technical certificate 6129. You are probably looking at ÂŁ5000 - ÂŁ7000 for a fast track type of course. Do not be fooled by courses that offer the 6022/6032 courses they don't mean anything in the plumbing world! OCLI Plumbing do the 6129/6089, you study the theory at home then go on workshops/assesment days, these are from 1-4 days each workshop and there are quite a few to do. See OLCI Plumbing Courses make sure you know how much everything will cost in total. Also have seen VIY Plumbing training which costs ÂŁ6580, and includes the 6129/6089, however this is one 10 week block so you would have to leave your job etc.

Hope this helps.

If its domestic plumbing and bathroom fitting training your after, then look here:

Plumbing Courses from Chase Plumbing Academy

You will also get your BPEC water regs card.

The courses carry a level 2 qualification that can be used towards your nvq assessment, all for less than a grand :)

Go with your mate, see if you enjoy being in this trade. Weekends are best, then you know. With this you will gain a little knowledge of the plumbing industry and then advance your skills giving you a qualification. Go to a center and gain your 6129 city and guilds then go onto on-site assessment with a 6089 giving you a city and guilds level 2 certificate. Train then with a gas fitter and build up a portfollio and again visit a center to give you a level 3 city and guilds. GOOD LOOK.

Go with your mate, see if you enjoy being in this trade. Weekends are best, then you know. With this you will gain a little knowledge of the plumbing industry and then advance your skills giving you a qualification. Go to a center and gain your 6129 city and guilds then go onto on-site assessment with a 6089 giving you a city and guilds level 2 certificate. Train then with a gas fitter and build up a portfollio and again visit a center to give you a level 3 city and guilds. GOOD LOOK :).

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi

many thanks for your responses. i am looking into the 6129 route after the information you have given to me, and hopefully will be making the move soon. once again thankyou all for helping me out with this and all the best

regrards jamie

hi i've done training through olci in london but they have got centres across the country so call them and find out where the closest centre to you is. the facilities were excellent and i'm now doing private jobs over weekends since i just qualified. looking to go self employed very soon. price they are the best, facilities excellent, tutors are really excellent! overall great experience & really flexible you can do some weekends & also you can fit it around your job.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to advice badly needed! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock