Search the forum,

Discuss Adding Gas Engineer to my skills in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

C1403

Hello All

I am writing on behalf of my husband who hates anything online. so I will try and explain things best I can.

He completed the level two in plumbing 10years ago and has been working in the industry for this time, working alongside more 'qualified' plumbers and dealing with many complex installs. He has never done the gas side obviously but has witnessed most of what goes on so has quite a lot of experience on site.

We have two little ones and we are trying to work out a nice balance that doesn't see him working 40+ hours per week. He has been self employed the last four years doing simple wet plumbing and unfortunately the work just isn't coming in as we would like.

We are now thinking about furthering his qualifications on paper (like I have said he has plenty experience on site but could do with more qualifications listed on paper to find the right work. He hasn't done level three but is pretty clued up on that so doesn't feel that is necessary so we are thinking about him doing gas training in order to become ACS qualified and gas safe. The number of clients he has had to turn down for silly jobs because he doesn't have gas safe (most of them didn't even require any gas work). He could set asside time to do the course and get his portfolio completed along side his old colleague who is a gas safe engineer.

So my question is this would is be our most sensible route and would this allow him to work on most domestic propeties installing boilers, cookers etc etc or should he be looking at something else. We basically want him to be able to do most things a plumber can do with all the right paperwork to back it up.

We are also thinking about part p.

Thing is is we do not mind spending a little bit of money if it will open up more job opportunities but don't want to spend a few thousand and he still doesn't get much and is better off staying doing what he is doing now.

Our second plan is getting the gas safe then going and working for a local company full time on a higher salary etc. It seems everywhere wants to see the paperwork before actually listening to what you can do and how long you have done it for.

Thaks for reading, I'm not plumbing minded so am trying to help him as much as I can with research and then he can decide what is best to do.

c

If he wants to go the Gas Safe route, then I would say your only option is to do the ACS and build a portfolio with a mentor engineer, and stay self employed.

If you go throught the ACS and get certified, most companies will not employ someone who has only just gained their quals, as they want experienced engineers, but that could be something to look at in the future.

Obviously the ideal is to get taken on by a firm and they train you up and pay for your ACS, but imo, this hardly ever happens.

There is an ACS course that is for people in your husbands situation, who are experienced plumbers but no gas. You need to build an extensive portfolio with a mentor, and most of the practical side is learned from them, like how to repair boiler faults, installation techniques and the like. You go to college 1 day a week and learn the regulations, legislation and core gas safety.
At the end there is a practical and written assessment to consolidate it all, and if you pass, gain the ACS.

Hope this helps, although there are some members on here who work in colleges and training establishments who can give your more up to date information than I could

Think you should always be looking to advance yourself in the profession you are in and going into the Gas side seems the obvious thing to do,would not advise anyone to try a career just plumbing,must be very hard and frustrating having to pass up on jobs that he is probably quite capable of given a bit of extra training on...with a young family it is hard but a bit of hard work now hopefully will pay off..as for getting the 40+ hours down..not sure about that..you just sit down and the unexpected happens..also he is going to have to get into the internet and on line..info he will need is there,e mails are a must ,a web site,no matter how basic..so many folk look on the web now ,not the tel directory...and of course this forum :tounge_smile:

Thanks for replies.
Business wise he is set up online with email, web page etc he just hates dealing with it so I oversea his email etc.
We just want to be clear on if it is the right course as when he was young he was promised a full nvq level 2 and 3 although this was not the case without paying alot of money (he was 18 at the time) He has plenty of on site experience so i think he would do fine with the ACS.
Regarding the portfolio, he knows with and has worked with a few registered engineers so his plan is to speak to them otherwise the centre does offer him a chance to complete the portfolio with their own engineer, costing another Ā£1000. We are in two minds here as the centres engineer may cover more of what he needs where as the friend will only be able to help with bits and pieces . Has anyone any experience in using the centres engineer for a portfolio. FYI we are looking at able skills in Kent.

Ps sorry if my message is ay all unclear or doesn't make sense I am typing this on a frustrating smart phone (not actually that smart in my opinion)

Thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Adding Gas Engineer to my skills in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. Itā€™s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
My son has an apprenticeship interview for to become a plumber and heating engineer. The have said there will be a multiple choice exam for this for suitability. The thing is my son panics during tests/exams. Is there any book I can buy him to practice the multiple choice test for the exam? What...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
I want to reconnect some outbuildings to an existing water supply. The supply pipe is old 22mm MDPE and buried for a fair distance so not going to dig it up and replace it šŸ˜¬. Question is can I use normal 22mm plumbing push-fit connectors to make the connection as finding 22mm MDPE fittings...
Replies
Views
We have 2 brand new cordless, battery powered press tools in stock, and flying off the shelves. Our TekTools TZ1930 & TZ1550 are packed with advanced features - these cordless press tools are engineered for speed, precision, and ease of use across various applications. Just reply to this thread...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock