Search the forum,

Discuss Adding floor probe cutoff to UFH to protect vinyl in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi

I'm a non-pro about to get UFH installed, and was looking to use Evohome. The issue is Evohome doesn't support floor probes and I was looking to use vinyl flooring.

I'm looking for ideas of how I might build in a secondary fail safe to turn off the UFH pump or otherwise turn off the UFH if the floor temp goes above 27 degrees. Some manifolds seems to have limit stats which check the flow temperature, but I was looking for something which checked the floor temp itself.

I'm a novice in this area, so I'm just looking for confirmation that this is possible, or whether I should abandon Evohome and go for something which can take the floor probe directly (like Heatmiser). I just want to be able to have a slightly more informed conversation as/when I hire the installer.

Thanks in advance

Peter

Last edited:
For your info, I've installed system where it was limited to 27 but still hot spots occur. If it were mine then I bring it down more to 25. That said, you then have to consider how much heat is going into the space as it may not be enough.

If you haven’t installed the pipework yet. Double the amount of pipework in the floor and run the manifold at 37 degrees.
Or use Heatmiser neostats which will do floor, air, or remote air probes.

I have UFH in spreader plates underneath a pine floor. The floor doesn't seem affected by the heat, but my understanding is that the 28 degree maximum is more to do with my health than with the health of the floor. My UFH stat does have a floor probe, but if the probe is triggered, this then leads to cycling while it waits for the floor to cool.

In practice, I used the probe to work out how to set the mixing valve to obtain the highest temperature that is still below the maximum allowed by the probe thermostat. As such, my probe thermostat would only come into play if the mixing valve stops working effectively, or if someone puts a cushion or similar directly over the part of the floor containing the probe.

I suppose my point is that I feel the probe is largely a gimmick, as I only have one probe for the two circuits connected to the manifold.

Reply to Adding floor probe cutoff to UFH to protect vinyl in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I have two adjoining cottages, each with an identical UFH system downstairs. Both been going fine for around five years. But for the last few weeks, one of the systems doesn't seem to be running most of the time. Essentially the UFH does "work", in that I can turn the thermostat right up, and...
Replies
Views
I currently have a Vaillant ecoTEC Plus 438 system boiler which is 13 years old. I have been having problems with the boiler which potentially boils down to the heat exchanger so I am now looking to bite the bullet and have a new boiler installed. My set up at home is that I have a 4-bed...
Replies
Views
I'm wanting to install weather comp on my Baxi Platinum+ system boiler (GC No: 41-470-95). This is because the house is heated using underfloor heating which is mixing down to 35c but the boiler is set to 70c to heat the unvented cylinder up to 60-65c. The idea is to select a curve more suited...
Replies
Views
J
We’ve had a UFH system installed as part of our home renovation which is run alongside our existing radiators. Some of it is in rooms with LVT flooring which means we’ve got to be careful with water temperature (floor temp limits are set, but can easily overshoot if water is too hot). Our...
Replies
Views
JSlippy
J
Hi folks, hoping someone can help with a problem that's been perplexing me since just before Christmas..... I have a wet underfloor heating system installed in 2003 and manufactured by Underfloor Direct in NI - Now out of business. It's one of their triple tube systems and hasn't given me much...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock