Search the forum,

Discuss Adding a secondary return to a system in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

mutley racers

Esteemed
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Subscribed
Hi, what do people a think is the best way to add a secondary return to an unvented cylinder install.

The scenario is I am quoting to replace a gravity system with an unvented. The bathroom furthest away takes around 2 minutes to get hot water. The problem is all the floors are glued and screwed tongue and groove chipboard so not easy to take up and run the return.

Cheers

Really? We've just done a new build with about 90% plastic. It was installed with a secondary return. Which manufacturer, the pump or cylinder manufacturer?
Owch, the get the towels ready.

All the plastic manufactures. Circulating return has to be copper then the branches have to be 1 metre in copper then can go to plastic.

Really? We've just done a new build with about 90% plastic. It was installed with a secondary return. Which manufacturer, the pump or cylinder manufacturer?
The pipe manufacturer.
I worked for a company that did the hot water in plastic and the return in copper. They seemed to think that was ok.

If the CH was on constantly for a few days the house would be pretty warm and the boiler will be on/off cycling
On that assumption then, a timer fitted to the hot return will solve the problem.

I've read another post on another forum about this and some quoted text basically says that the pipe is manufactured to whichever British standard, but because that British standard doesn't cover secondary returns, they say their pipe isn't suitable.

On that assumption then, a timer fitted to the hot return will solve the problem.

I've read another post on another forum about this and some quoted text basically says that the pipe is manufactured to whichever British standard, but because that British standard doesn't cover secondary returns, they say their pipe isn't suitable.
Yeah
Unless someone sets it to constant. It would be your choice, but the manufacturers say not suitable so no warranty etc

Yeah
Unless someone sets it to constant. It would be your choice, but the manufacturers say not suitable so no warranty etc
Well we're not going to pull the pipe out now, the house has just been finished. It sounds more of a get out clause from the manufactures than an actual problem with doing it. Has anyone had a failed pipe due to it been fitted on a secondary return?
Really by them saying the return has to be copper but the main pipe can be plastic, they are basically saying it's fine.

Well we're not going to pull the pipe out now, the house has just been finished. It sounds more of a get out clause from the manufactures than an actual problem with doing it. Has anyone had a failed pipe due to it been fitted on a secondary return?
Really by them saying the return has to be copper but the main pipe can be plastic, they are basically saying it's fine.
A company I worked for said that it was fine to do it that way.
I don’t think it is as it’s all under the same pressure and at the same temp

A company I worked for said that it was fine to do it that way.
I don’t think it is as it’s all under the same pressure and at the same temp
Oh it wasn't hep that said that. I think I'll give them an email just to clarify if it's really an issue or not, obviously as you say the guarantee will be void but I can live with that. I'll know for future installs though :D

It’s a pretty clear no
34C05E50-ED62-47E0-8A76-DE4EC23EFA4E.png

It’s a pretty clear no
View attachment 38467
Yes but that only states that their pipe is manufactured to hot water systems covered under BS7291 which doesn't cover secondary returns. It just basically says they havent tested their pipe on secondary return systems. It also says continuously operated hot water systems. Add a timer and it isn't continually operated, also at some point the stored hot water will deplete. Still just seems like a get out clause. I'm not arguing with you by the way, just a debate that's all.

Yes but that only states that their pipe is manufactured to hot water systems covered under BS7291 which doesn't cover secondary returns. It just basically says they havent tested their pipe on secondary return systems. It also says continuously operated hot water systems. Add a timer and it isn't continually operated, also at some point the stored hot water will deplete. Still just seems like a get out clause. I'm not arguing with you by the way, just a debate that's all.

They must have a reason to say must not be used.
If you think of worst case scenario
Cylinder immersions set to 70
On 24/7 and return pump on constant

The plastic pipes goes a bit floppy and you could have a fitting blow off.

At least most CH systems are sealed so you would only get a few buckets of water.

They must have a reason to say must not be used.
If you think of worst case scenario
Cylinder immersions set to 70
On 24/7 and return pump on constant

The plastic pipes goes a bit floppy and you could have a fitting blow off.

At least most CH systems are sealed so you would only get a few buckets of water.
Only reason I can see is the British standard thing. If it had been tested and found the pipe fails under a secondary return system then surely they would state that.
They say their pipe will function correctly for 50 years at 90°c temperature and at 6bar so even in the most extreme cases of an unvented system breakdown, the pipe should be fine.

I believe it's something to do with the heat and it being oxygenated water. In a sealed system the water isn't fresh.

However I've never come across a proper answer to the question.

I only really found out about it when a few years ago a plumber I know had an issue with Polypipe fittings failing due to the circulating return. The fittings were just crumbling to bits, it was the second time in this house they'd had a flood because of the issue.

However as the system was fitted before 2007 the plastic manufactures hadn't realised by that point the circulating returns caused an issue. So they honoured the warranty, however I think since 2008 they've strictly stated that they cannot be used for cirulating returns.

I believe it's something to do with the heat and it being oxygenated water. In a sealed system the water isn't fresh.

However I've never come across a proper answer to the question.

I only really found out about it when a few years ago a plumber I know had an issue with Polypipe fittings failing due to the circulating return. The fittings were just crumbling to bits, it was the second time in this house they'd had a flood because of the issue.

However as the system was fitted before 2007 the plastic manufactures hadn't realised by that point the circulating returns caused an issue. So they honoured the warranty, however I think since 2008 they've strictly stated that they cannot be used for cirulating returns.
Crumbling fittings sounds extreme, I wonder how many systems there are out there that are ran in plastic. I know my bosses house has plastic secondarys which have been fine for 10+ years.

Reply to Adding a secondary return to a system in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Silly question (and might already been asked 100rds of time) - I am specifying a circulation pump for the hot water secondary (circulation) return to reduce the wait for hot water. HW is coming from unvented cylinder with a secondary return connection. The secondary return is almost straight...
Replies
Views
B
I'm a plumbing novice so first of all I apologise if I'm not explaining this situation correctly. I've recently renovated a house for my family to live in and we're having an issue with water not staying hot when the secondary return circuit is on. From a starting point of fully heated the...
Replies
Views
Hi All, Looking for a bit of advice on the best way to pipe this. - 24kW Worcester regular boiler in kitchen, approx. 9 years old - unvented tank, zone vavles, pump, expansion is on first floor in airing cupboard - Currently piped as S-plan. - Hive controls. - Would like to fit 6-zone...
Replies
Views
D
I'm running a secondary return hot water system and I'd appreciate your advice please. I'm working on a long house where the furthest draw off point Is around 40m away from the unvented cylinder. There are 3 bathrooms 2 kitchens a boot room and a utility. I have installed a 28mm hot supply...
Replies
Views
My daughter bought her first home and was hoping to convert to gas but its not available in the area, so thinking a boiler upgrade is the better way to go. Just after some advice and rough costs involved, is it worth getting a pressurised system installed and a new boiler and oil pump? Heating...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock