Search the forum,

Discuss Added to someone else's gas safe in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Scott_D

Esteemed
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Subscribed
i have my own gas safe registration, just me on it

If I am added to a bigger company's registration to do sub contract work does that affect my own at all?

i would say yes as ive never seen someone hold two licences

We have our own registration and also work for a firm as direct labour also on their registration.

One thing I have noticed is that I have never had a visit from the inspector. I think it’s because work do their compliance stuff so I get away with it.

But that’s not the company employing you as a contractor. It’s you being an employee.

True

I re read the OP. Surely if a RGI is being added to another companies reg., that would suggest to HMRC that he is actually employed?
As a subbie, you would normally use your own reg.

I did a (horrible) short stint with BG as a contractor, and I had to supply my own reg no.

That was what I was saying mate. Why was you’re stint at BG Horrible?

TBH, it was about 4 years ago. It was bad enough doing a "poke and go" when the punter was on a service contract, but indefensible when they are paying the full rate.

But the biggest problem was the manager. At that time, the normal supervisor supervised the contractors. He is/was a Dic&. He hated contractors, and about a week in he told me he had managed to "get rid" of the others (There was one long standing guy who was treated as staff). I was promised work pretty much on a same immediate area, but I was travelling 2o miles round trip most days. Not the end of the world, but crap when the rate was £20.01 per job. And dreadful when you did 20 miles one way for a couple, then 20miles from base in the other direction for another.
He also expected me to to order parts, but I was not allowed to fit them, so this was eating into my time for no extra pay. Plus you had to phone HIM, to confirm diagnosis before ordering.
The comms was dreadful. Promised 8/10 jobs to start, plus more of required. He, however, would allow more than about 5, as he was terrified of non visits. So by lunch I was phoning for more work (my phone, my bills - and the wait time meant I was going way over my prepaid allowance (remember, this was 4 years ago)). I could sit in the van for a couple of hours waiting for a response!. So I stopped phoning in and went to do my own work, or have an early day.

My stores collection point (Post Office) was over 25 miles away (at 8 am, at least an hour one way due to traffic), so I|refused to go until they found space at the local one 10 mins away. Eventually, he agreed to find someone who would share. I was on my way there to collect consumables the first time when my jobs pinged down. They were nearly 30 miles away, just a touch further than the original stores allocation. I phoned him, he met me, and I handed back their kit.

TBH, I think the success of that job, at that time, depended very much on the Supervisor. I also understand that their are now dedicated contractor supervisors, so I would not necessarily say no one should go for it. ut find out the rules, and make sure you get all you are promised. And do it direct NOT through an agency.

The fi

Reply to Added to someone else's gas safe in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock