Search the forum,

Discuss Acs exam in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

plumber786

Hi all my acs has booked 20th aug. please share your knowledge about acs exam, like questions, practicle and how much time they give for theory questions. Thanks Regards johny

Read all the questions carefully, the answers are in the documents supplied by the centre.
Makesure you're gemed up on Fluing, Ventilation regs & pipe sizing calulations.
In the practical, they are looking for the right answers & that you are confident in yourself.
Look at the installations, start at the meter & methodically inspect them for faults.
Makesure you know the tightness testing,gas rating, ventillation & safety cut off procedures.
Get to know & be able to identify all the different types of safety & control devices.
Stay cool & act confidently, & you'll get throught it ok.

will depend on what you are covering and what course you have been on.
I did the full gas NVQ so had already done loads of exams prior to the acs and did mostly practical for the acs,
some other lads that were on level 3 plumbing were covering less subjects but sitting more exams.

you need to work through it methodically, there is no race to get through but also you can't waste time.
the faults on appliances in my experience were things operating in an unsafe way, some were apparent immediately, others might not have been instantly obvious until warmed up.
you have got a few weeks to swat up yet, don't panic and hope it all goes well

You'll be alright, dont know anybody who has failed their gas. I enjoyed the paper tests the most :) just be prepared to get beasted in your practical, they tell you how crap you are just to put you under pressure, at the end they tell you why they have done it etc :) when i sat my ACS, i read the Gas book like a bible!!

You'll be alright, dont know anybody who has failed their gas. I enjoyed the paper tests the most :) just be prepared to get beasted in your practical, they tell you how crap you are just to put you under pressure, at the end they tell you why they have done it etc :) when i sat my ACS, i read the Gas book like a bible!!
Thanks for your reply and it's true I'm reading my viper and GSIUR like a bible, I'm not joining this industry just for money, I respect and love this job!!! Thanks again for your kind reply

Passed mine this Wednesday, you will overlook the complete obvious looking for somthing trivial. Read the questions and make sure you have ticked the boxes that you mean to put too!

You'll be fine!

Passed mine this Wednesday, you will overlook the complete obvious looking for somthing trivial. Read the questions and make sure you have ticked the boxes that you mean to put too!

You'll be fine!
Congrats mate, which college? How many appliances you installed or service during practical session and how many open and closed book question we have to answer during theory session? Best of luck for your future in gas industry!

You'll be fine!
well done 500 did the guys give you a tough time ?

Congrats mate, which college? How many appliances you installed or service during practical session and how many open and closed book question we have to answer during theory session? Best of luck for your future in gas industry!

Cheers!

It was at Salford College, Winton gas centre.

Worked on a few appliances, gas rated, analysed, serviced, loads of faults to look for and a few question papers, think there were 5/6 papers, ccn1, cenwat 1 and cpa1. all open book.

How many appliances you installed or service during practical session

You don't install or service anything. The hardest thing you may be asked to do is a gas rate or trace a leak (exciting stuff). It is all about recognising faults and knowing controls (most of which you will never see in your lifetime).
Just read your books and think logically. Nothing hard about it.

You'll be alright, dont know anybody who has failed their gas.
hey i'm new here, the first time i did my ticket there was a bloke who never shut up talking all through the lessons, and he failed on the pipe tree?? he was at it for about 40 mins and could even connect the PE pipe so the instructor sent him home :D last time i did it i thought there would be lessons but the guy just said this has changed in the gas regs now here's your ventillation paper, so revise first :D

Hi all,

I recently passed my ACS exams with appliances. I studied hard for around 4 weeks before the exams and used the Logic book which I think is excellent. Obviously when it comes to the exams you will be nervous but a lot of the questions in the multiple choice exams are common sense and most of the time you will know the answer without having to refer to your books (if you study). The closed book exams is not difficult and will cover basic questions. The time given for the multiple choice exams is plenty and I doubt you will need all of the time allocated, its roughly 2 minutes per question. You dont have to do any installations in the practical exams. But you will work on ILFE and radiant fires, water heater, room sealed and open flued boilers and cookers. A lot of it is fault finding and using common sense to asess whether faults are NCS, AR or ID.

Study and you will pass.

Good luck.

Hey everyone...

I'm new to this forum but wanted to say good luck to all those taking exams soon.

I'm thinking of starting a Domestic Gas Engineers course with a company called 'Trade Qualified' - has anyone got any experience with them?

Basically, I'm a fulltime Firefighter and looking to get a skill for some part-time work in my days off. I understand the trade isn't a path to riches but with the network of contacts within the brigade I'm hopefull I can get a steady few jobs per month.

The Trade Qualified course is ACS and is broken down into 8 seperate weeks of practical training. 3 of these weeks will be out on jobs with a Gas Safe engineer to build up my portfolio, another 6.5 weeks will be in house training with the rest of the time for exams... Does this sound right for a complete newbie (no gas or plumbing qualifications) to be able to register with Gas Safe? - The college says it is.

I'm not naive though, I've already contacted a number of companies with regards to gaining experience a couple of days a week throughout my course duration which I expect to take anything up to 1 year.

Any advice given would be much appreciated...

Suds.

P.s - I guess when qualified I'm looking to start out on simple jobs such as boiler services and inspections. I'm aware that I need to know my limits and am looking at gaining a wealth of knowledge and experience before going crazy!!!!

it doesnt seem long enough if you dont have any gas quals, bpec run a gas foundation course which is 28 weeks (14 theory/13 practical/1 exams) and plenty on here give that pelters so im not sure how everything would be covered in the course you are talking about

Hey everyone...

I'm new to this forum but wanted to say good luck to all those taking exams soon.

I'm thinking of starting a Domestic Gas Engineers course with a company called 'Trade Qualified' - has anyone got any experience with them?

Basically, I'm a fulltime Firefighter and looking to get a skill for some part-time work in my days off. I understand the trade isn't a path to riches but with the network of contacts within the brigade I'm hopefull I can get a steady few jobs per month.

The Trade Qualified course is ACS and is broken down into 8 seperate weeks of practical training. 3 of these weeks will be out on jobs with a Gas Safe engineer to build up my portfolio, another 6.5 weeks will be in house training with the rest of the time for exams... Does this sound right for a complete newbie (no gas or plumbing qualifications) to be able to register with Gas Safe? - The college says it is.

I'm not naive though, I've already contacted a number of companies with regards to gaining experience a couple of days a week throughout my course duration which I expect to take anything up to 1 year.

Any advice given would be much appreciated...

Suds.

P.s - I guess when qualified I'm looking to start out on simple jobs such as boiler services and inspections. I'm aware that I need to know my limits and am looking at gaining a wealth of knowledge and experience before going crazy!!!!

Why come into a job thats dead?! Ill happily swap jobs!!

Hi all my acs has booked 20th aug. please share your knowledge about acs exam, like questions, practicle and how much time they give for theory questions. Thanks Regards johny
think you should ask the centre to prepare you for the assessment

hello Sudburys, i've been doing it for more than 10 years although i'm a commercial gas fitter (i do domestic comercial boilers and catering) and a boiler is a boiler, i mainly repair forced draught boilers and condensing boilers anything from 15kw to 1800kw and you always find the same faults no matter how big they are, it sounds ok too me, as long as you're confident and most importantly competant you'll be fine :D

Why come into a job thats dead?! Ill happily swap jobs!!

As I said... I'm looking at getting qualified in order to supplement my future income, not to replace my current.

And dead? lol thats like all the black cabbies telling me theres no money in the job anymore :D. Fair enough there may be more engineers to share out the jobs available (and lets not forget the big companies offering annual services for a monthly fee) but there are a lot of boilers out there that need a qualified person to service them and I'm pretty confident that through friends and colleagues I should be able to offer a cheap enough price to secure some regular jobs.

And no you can't have my job!!! :6::grin:

i have my acs exams in 10 days, i have been going through books and studied for written papers, how can i/should i study for practical assessments
?

i have my acs exams in 10 days, i have been going through books and studied for written papers, how can i/should i study for practical assessments
?

Just read up on your notes and know steps of gas testing, purging, pressures, gas rating, pipe sizing. Unsafe situations, chimney blocks, how to test chimneys. Fga. And most of all BE SAFE if your not safe you will fail! As long as your safe they will point u in the right direction

The main thing is to expect multiple unlikely faults on any installation.
E.g, flue joints upside down.

On your acs your given ALOT of faults to identify and say their not to be used on gas i.e speedfit joints or a hosepipe lol its actually fun in a strange way, just the way your shown a setup and the examiner says "any comments?" one guy i was in with was like "no all looks ok" he got beasted for it. Just take your time and show that you know your stuff. You wont learn anything until your actually on a job. Every situations different

@ Kirkgas

Thanks very much for taking the time to reply, sorry its taken me so long to get back on here but I've had a few things going on that needed dealing with.

I've read both of your replies and I am still very interested in doing a Gas Engineers course. Like you, I am slightly concerned about the short length of the course offered by Trade Qualified (8 weeks but not consecutive) although I have been assured by them that no previous experience or knowledge is needed and completion of the course will qualify me competently.

This is a copy of thier course outline on the website:

Domestic Gas Engineer – DGE1 Course Qualifications

Gas Foundation Certificate
– Bpec Certified
Portfolio of Evidence (Not in itself a qualification but you cannot get qualified without it)
Accredited Certification Scheme (ACS) for Gas Installers/Fitters and Engineers
CCN1 - Core Gas Safety (Now includes Combustion Performance Analysis- CPA1)
MET1 - Domestic Gas Meters
CKR1 - Gas Cookers and Hobs
HTR1 - Gas Space Heaters (Gas Fires)
CENWAT - Domestic Gas Central Heating Boilers & Gas Water Heaters (An updated combined qualification that replaces CEN1 & WAT1)

DGE1 Course Structure
Stage One – 15 Days in Centre to gain the Gas Foundation Certificate
Stage Two – 20 Days of which 5 days are In-Centre and the rest off-site for Portfolio work.
Stage Three – 4 Days in Centre for ACS examinations

As you can see, it says that it is Bpec certified so surely it must be up to a decent standard?

I have looked at a couple of different courses but it seems that I can't get any good reviews on them as people only seem to think 5 years apprenticeships are good enough. Again, I'm only looking to do very small jobs to start with as a way of supplementing my current income and will happilly work for free with a larger local firm to gain that all important experience.

I will have another look at the Bpec Gas foundation course but one of my problems is that I need to be able to study part time due to my current job.

@ Paulsanderson

Thanks also for the advice, much appreciatted.

Last edited:
Forgot to say -

I have bought the Bpec Domestic Gas Safety Manual to start reading through to start building up my Gas knowledge. Can anyone suggest a different/better beginners Gas Engineers book to use aswell?

Thanks

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Acs exam in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could be causing this leak. Already Changed the Pump Elbow as one of the clips had popped which was causing a second small leak, Any idea? Is it time to buy...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi guys. I'm trying to identify a toilet model before ordering a seat for a customer. I went to what used to be a Roca stockist (they no longer are) and one of the guys there reckoned it might be "The Gap". I went to the new stockist and the guy there disagreed it was "The Gap" and that he'd...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock