Search the forum,

Discuss A Plumbers Tool Box - HELP in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Chris4489

Hi guys,

Has anyone got a general list of tools that are essential for a plumber?? I am due to receive my 'free tool kit' from NCS in January and was wondering what I would need to get to add to it.

Thanks
Chris

Don't know what you get in the free kit but make sure you have a set of box spanners for fitting taps first and foremost or you will struggle every time you have to work with taps.

Think of the jobs your likely to do and then work out what tools you need from that as a starting point mate.

Don't rush to buying everything at once. Get the tools you will need for the job you've booked. There are a lot of tools you will have to have in the long run, it's a lot of money to spend outright.

But a decent drill is a must.

Thank you Mike, I will be making sure if I don't get them included, I will be purchasing them. Thank you too hunterseye and Rodolphe, I know buying all at once can be very costly so I will be seeing what kind of jobs I will do doing first and Rodolphe, what sort of Drill do you recommend? As I know there are plenty of different versions (hammer/Angle/Etc...)

Chris

Decent SDS drill and a cordless. Can get a decent 18 volt ni-cd makita cordless from somewhere like B&Q for around 100.

Definitely a ni-cd cordless with a spare battery. I got an 18v DeWalt I'm really happy with.

The SDS I know I'll have to buy one of these days but so far hasn't been needed. Luckily.

Decent SDS drill and a cordless. Can get a decent 18 volt ni-cd makita cordless from somewhere like B&Q for around 100.

Thanks Danny, much appreciated. Very much doubt they are going to give me a drill in the Box, so think I'll look into buying one, Ive seen that Screwfix/Plumbfix is doing good offers atm.

Don't bother with Ni-cads, they've been around since at least WW1 and have had their day. Li-ion is the way to go, never again will I be failed by a dead nicad when I most need it.

The tools supplied will get you past the first year I suppose, doubt there will be any decent stuff in there although there maybe some Footprint grips.

as said, it will depend on what you will/might??? be doing.
will you be working self employed? then the likely hood is that if you haven't got it, you will want it.
if you have a work placement with someone, make sure you have a tspoon,
then no doubt they will let you use there kit to start with

Get yourself 15 & 22mm pipe slices. When I did the course they did not provide those. They just provided an adjustable pipe cutter.

Other than what has already been said a Camera or have a decent one on your phone, when you go to a job take a photo and another as you leave. If something is damaged or not quite right take a photo too :)
can save your bacon !!! Also a dust sheet, buying a carpet every job gets expensive..

When i started out in this game i had a terrible set of tools but i managed. I had a few good bits and pieces that were given to me but otherwise, i couldn't afford good tools.
I would go to the market on a Sunday and buy a set of screwdrivers for a pound.....every week.
I couldn't even afford a new footrule if i broke the one i had.
Now i buy anything i want, when i want, but that is near 40 years later.
Buy the best you can afford and when you can afford it, buy the best. (btw, you will seldom find the best in screwfix or the like)

If you are going to get a cordless combi drill do not bother unless you are going to spend ÂŁ300 most likely - do not get any deal from B and Q as the battery will be pants . . . .

Your better bet is get an SDS and drill driver combi from Screwfix (ÂŁ120) - it is amazing how much you can do with just these!

Make sure the SDS has roto stop, and the cordless drill will do for other jobs:

Something like this - 240V 2.3kg SDS Plus Drill & 14.4V Drill Driver Twin Pack | NoLinkingToThis

The next best advice is don't spend top dollar on tools you are going to use infrequently!

Spanners and combi drills - yes!

Jigsaws and screwdrivers - no!

No matter what you have there will always be something else. Keep an eye on the tools that you use most and upgrade them to the best quality you can when budget allows. I would not be without my Bahco adjustables as they are used every day. Expensive but worth every penny. On power tools don't bother with cheap as this can be a pain on an evening when even the sheds are closed and dangerous if the clutch on an SDS is a bit harsh. If you cannot afford new but second hand quality stuff Hilti etc on ebay. For occasional use just hire. Whilst at the hire desk look at the makes they are punting as they are guaranteed indestructible and will still be good second hand.

Since I started I have spent a small fortune, Bacho adjustables and a few decent different sizes help, you may want to invest in two of each for when you do comp joints up. A decent Li ion cordless or a set of 2 as I have and an SDS is a must. My tool box is worth thousands as I am ex-RAC ( Ready at Christmas ) ;-)

Monoblock tap spanners are also a must, spanners, pipe bending machine, springs, pliers (snap on lines mans) are the mutts nuts for those rusty screws they grip really well but cost about ÂŁ100. Erm what else???

Spirit levels, hole saws, the list goes on and on and Ariston........

My main advice would be to buy quality tools, don't cheap out on the main core of your toolkit. You will live to regret it! and end up having to spend twice and buy the good stuff when the cheap stuff breaks or doesn't do the job well.

Mainly power tools - I have Hitachi industrial and Makita industrial cordless. Bosch Blue SDS (well it got stolen actually - now have hitachi as I got a good deal). Hitachi Jigsaw. you get the drift anyway!

Drill bits - Good quality ones are worth the extra, same with 'Stanley' stanley blades (cheap ones are pants IME). The list goes on.. but I still add to my van tools even now. And though I've only been doing gas for a few years, I was building and water plumbing before so had a lot of kit already.

You do not need to spend ÂŁ300 a piece for things like jigsaws ect which you simply will not use that much . . . . .

My jigsaw is a ÂŁ30 job and I have used it a handful of times. I would be annoyed if I had spent a lot on it!

Drills are another matter as you will depend on them and need the best quality.

Save on carpentry saws - I go to a little shop for pieces of wood which they cut precisely for me. This cost is passed on to the customer and they get a better job than I tried to cut them myself anyway . . ..

My list:

- SDS 2kg - absolutely essential! (make sure it has roto stop)

- Drill driver - cant do without! (drilling in wood/metal + screw driving)

- Combi Drill (ÂŁ300) - makes life so easy but you can do without to start with.

- Power driver (I prefer this to a drill driver as one will fit in your toolbox but not essential)

- Reciprocating saw/jigsaw/circ saw (can do without all of these)

- Bosch Multi-tool (this I really cannot do without as it can do tasks that are nigh on impossible otherwise!)

Great thread this, and very interesting to me as I'm just returning to the trade after a 20 year 'Break'. I still have all my tools but I don't have a soldering torch and I was wondering what the best ones are these days? I used to use a Primus 2000 but I haven't seen any of those around for a while. Any suggestions?

Great thread this, and very interesting to me as I'm just returning to the trade after a 20 year 'Break'. I still have all my tools but I don't have a soldering torch and I was wondering what the best ones are these days? I used to use a Primus 2000 but I haven't seen any of those around for a while. Any suggestions?

I use a Rothenberger 2 or something like that it is the more expensive of the two that Grahams sell but it is well worth it...

that'll be the super fire

that'll be the one.....I am nice and warm in my Log cabin and could'nt be bothered going out into the cold to look at it even though I have tidied the van out this am.....:hurray:

I like Open tote bags as I think there easier to find tools in. Stanley do a good and there on sale at B&Q

that'll be the super fire
Cheers - now all I've got to do is update my Gas & Oil tickets then I can stick the signs on the van and I'm away :teeth_smile:

Funny thing that with all the pushfit stuff around we still need to sweat 'em in, and cheers for the mention of the log cabin Plum Ber. Sounds like something that McCloud would do - enjoy the warm.

Cheers - now all I've got to do is update my Gas & Oil tickets then I can stick the signs on the van and I'm away :teeth_smile:

Funny thing that with all the pushfit stuff around we still need to sweat 'em in, and cheers for the mention of the log cabin Plum Ber. Sounds like something that McCloud would do - enjoy the warm.

It's GR8 it's a Carsare 250 from Dunster house if your interested in seeing it, I will put some pic's on here sometime for your perusal Cheers mad Dan

Screwfix have these on clearance -

Plumbers Tool Kit 18Pcs | NoLinkingToThis

A bit cheap and cheerful, still if you are starting out it would be kicking the ball in the right direction!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to A Plumbers Tool Box - HELP in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi guys. I'm trying to identify a toilet model before ordering a seat for a customer. I went to what used to be a Roca stockist (they no longer are) and one of the guys there reckoned it might be "The Gap". I went to the new stockist and the guy there disagreed it was "The Gap" and that he'd...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock