Discuss Capping off a soil pipe in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

kc1

What's the best way to seal and cap this soil pipe before I concrete over it?

IMG_1815s.jpg

Inside diameter seems to be just over 100mm. It's seems to be ceramic.

Regards,

Kevin

It should be same internal size as new plastic soil pipes. You could use a standard 4" internal cap. It will have a ribbed rubber outer seal. Best get as heavy duty one as possible, but any will do.

Ram a cement bag or similar 4" down the pipe as a stopper and then plug it with concrete.

How far away from a manhole is it?
It should be plugged as close as possible to the junction to avoid a nice dry home for rats.

Probably about 4-5m from the manhole. I'm assuming that other things in the house use the same feed into the manhole - but I would need to check to be sure. There is a WC close to the soil pipe in the photo, so I assume these connect together somewhere.

Be aware, with old clay pipes joints are solid, sand/cement, and pipes are relatively fragile. Not unusual when breaking into pipe, for adjacent pipes to fracture. Unless there is space and inclination to excavate and relay broken pipes keep disturbance to minimum.

Cut a piece of slate to sit nicely in the collar and mix grit sand and cement 4:1, fill and level it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Capping off a soil pipe in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, We're in the process of upgrading 2 bathrooms in our house: the ensuite and the family bathroom. These adjoin one another. The ensuite is...
Replies
Views
B
My soil pipe on the downstairs toilet seems to be partially blocked. Now I know it can be rodded but I was thinking of another way. With the...
Replies
Views
Just started gound work on self build bungalow and wondering best way to do below ground soil pipes. For toilet I was going to go straight down...
Replies
Views
During November we have to replace a corroded cast soil pipe on the exterior wall of the 1st and 2nd floors of our 1930’s building. Fine...
Replies
Views
Good afternoon, Just looking for some general advise, I'm renovating my kitchen and need to disconnect my kitchen sink pipes while I re-plaster...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock