Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Checkout our Plumbers Insurance area - heavily discounted Public Liability Insurance and Van Insurance specifically designed for plumbers.

Discuss 70m from meter to boiler! in the Gas Safe Register Forum - Public Forum area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

Tags:
  1. Richard Olafsson

Richard Olafsson New Member

Hi All,
    I've just moved into an old house which is currently served by an old boiler for central heating and hot water, we estimate it must be about 70m of 28mm pipe to the boiler from the meter across a shared access bit of land. From the name it looks like a 40kW boiler (Chaffoteaux & Maury Corvec 1.140).

None of the tables go above 30m for pressure/flow drops and I am aware that newer boilers need more gas flow than the old one potentially does. Is there a way of measuring flow/pressure at my existing boiler to make sure the gas supply will be up to the job of a newer one? I'd rather know before spending out on a whole new system and then have to mole out for a new gas line and other expenses...

Thanks!
    Rich

Last edited: Nov 7, 2018
  2. Rob Foster

Rob Foster Top Contributor!!

Ok this big one and might be an outside the box question, I will have to consult with some old farts I drink with
    Stick with us
    Rob Foster aka centralheatking

• Funny Funny x 2
  3. ShaunCorbs

ShaunCorbs S. Mod Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Commercial job you would be looking at around 54mm 2" :D at that length

Best option move the boiler or get the meter moved onto your land

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Riley

Riley Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Yeah too high a pressure drop over that distance

• Like Like x 1
  5. ShaunCorbs

TBH I wouldn't be surprised if it's been down rated to around 25-26kw

• Like Like x 1
  6. Richard Olafsson

Been out to the meter again, it's a U6 and the main underground run is plastic pipe of about 35mm OD..

7. ShaunCorbs

Will be 32mm mdpe (yellow)
    That will just about do then if it's properly connected just for the boiler no cooker or gas fires etc

With the current setup eg ranged rated etc

With a new true 40kw boiler it won't sorry to say

8. Last Plumber

Last Plumber Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

It should be OK with 35mm (1 1/4") will do if your 70M includes allowances for bends and there are no additional appliances.

9. Riley

Riley Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Still tight though isn’t it??

10. ShaunCorbs

Ok In steel but not plastic

IMG_3973.PNG

11. Last Plumber

I didn't mention plastic.

12. ShaunCorbs

So needs to be re run as ops run is plastic

13. Last Plumber

I'll make it clearer!
    If it's already been run in 32mm plastic below ground over a distance of 70 Meters, I doubt that it will be large enough for a 40 Kw Boiler if we need to have a 1 mb maximum drop in pressure.

However, If I were doing the work I would first of all check the pressure at both ends of the existing pipe. I would then assess the situation and make a decision as to whether or not the drop over that length warrants the pipe's replacement.
    Should it need replacing with the next size of pipe up then I would do just that.

I had not read post 6 where he mentions the underground pipe.
    I read this below where he mentions 28mm pipe so I thought of Copper tube and because it says 'across' I pictured an external pipe run.

To the OP.
    My advice would be to Get a Heating Engineer to calculate the heat requirements for your property. You may find that a smaller Boiler will do and that in turn may mean that the underground Gas pipe is OK.
    I have not seen this obviously but I think facts and figures are the best thing to go off.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Richard Olafsson

OK, so to better clarify: the house main tap is in 28mm copper, the supply from the meter is underground under a church center car park in the yellow plastic (I'm guessing to mole a new run would get pricey?) A plumber did visit earlier and he was suggesting a 38kW Vaillant, the old one does keep us warm but we've only been here a week or so! He was suggesting to measure the actual supply but also upgrade the meter to a U16 to have the bigger fittings and fit the boiler right at the junction to the house to minimise internal losses and extra bends which are present in the current install..

15. ShaunCorbs

what are you planning on running via the gas ? as u16 is a big meter (around 160kw)