Discuss Level 3 plumbing and gas courses... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

macka09

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Hi all I've recently completed my nvq level 2 (6189-21) in plumbing and heating. I have been working for less than minimum wage to gain experience and to prove my competence in the field. I would like to move on to level 3 or my gas qualifications as I have been working on boilers, fires and cookers. My boss isn't to keen due to maybe having to pay me more. I need a course in the Birmingham area that can be attended on the evenings or weekends? Any info people have to offer would be appreciated thanks.

I'm still struggling for the level 3 course?? Ideally I would like evenings but I can't find anything. I'm surprised as I'm in the 2nd city!

They only have level 2.
They will be doing Level 3 soon (possible next year) but still you need to speak to a training officer as JTL plumbing students sign up to complete level 3 not just 2. They will be using one of your local colleges or a training centre like us for the off site stuff.

We take student on who have completed the Level 2 at other places & they come to us just for the Level 3 often travelling across London but I guess we are a tad to far from you to come once a week.

Last edited:
They will be doing Level 3 soon (possible next year) but still you need to speak to a training officer as JTL plumbing students sign up to complete level 3 not just 2. They will be using one of your local colleges or a training centre like us for the off site stuff.

We take student on who have completed the Level 2 at other places & they come to us just for the Level 3 often travelling across London but I guess we are a tad to far from you to come once a week.

Just a bit far really lol. Ideally I would like to get cracking with the level 3 this year so that by the end of next year I'm gas safe. It's hard to find level 3 on a evening course.

Just a bit far really lol. Ideally I would like to get cracking with the level 3 this year so that by the end of next year I'm gas safe. It's hard to find level 3 on a evening course.
I would think it's near impossible to find a Level 3 that does the gas units let alone in the evenings. It would be at least two years long, possible two nights a week.

Most training colleges I know do not do the gas cos of the onsite evidence, they do something like the solar (& tag the gas on as an option after the end of the course).

The on site evidence isn't really an issue as I work for someone who does all the domestic stuff. Why 2 years do you think????

The on site evidence isn't really an issue as I work for someone who does all the domestic stuff. Why 2 years do you think????
I know you are working with gas but so many don't or at least not enough of the time.

With the gas option the 6189 is well over two year long, one 8 hour day per week.

We don't have half terms & just the four weeks in summer & we do the core & solar option in 18 months but its a lot to get through, I work 'em hard.
If you are only doing 3-4 hours in an evening it's going to take a while.

Why bother with level 3. Not many gas engineers are.
Use your 6189 to upskill as a cat2 and spend the money you would have spent on the level 3 on the upskill course.

I did level 3. At the end you still aren't gas safe, as a cat2 upskill you will be

Last edited by a moderator:
Why bother with level 3. Not many gas engineers are.
Use your 6189 to upskill as a cat2 and spend the money you would have spent on the level 3 on the upskill course.

I did level 3. At the end you still aren't gas safe, as a cat2 upskill you will be
You seem to be implying phill that to reach the status of gas engineer is the top of the tree ???
Not many gas engineers can correctly size a heat emitter either !!
What is level 3 if not an "upskill course" then ??

We use to call gas & pipe fitters "plumbers with half a brain" when I were younger !!!!!!

Pulls pin, throws it in & retires quickly out of reach :boxing_smiley:

Last edited:
Because having a level 3 is not pre requisite to being a gas engineer.
But it would have limited advantages if one was to go into management or do a year at Uni and convert it into a degree.

The OP intimated he wanted to work with gas ? I was merely pointing out that level 3 is neither the quickest nor cheapest route into it.
So many places give bad advise re training and courses..

Top of the tree hehee.
Yeh right up there ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Level 3 plumbing and gas courses... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back