Search the forum,

Discuss 6189 Plumbing and Domestic Heating Diploma Level 2 in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

MKID

Hi,

I am keen to retrain as a plumber but finidng it difficult to figure out what I need!

I've found a college that provides the city and guilds 6189 level 2 diploma in domestic plumbing and heating. I would like to know if this qualification is the same as an NVQ level 2.

I'm aware that an NVQ is work-based but does that mean that a diploma is a waste of time when it comes to working as a qualified domestic plumber? Will it be a completely theory based qualification with no practical or work-based experience?

Thanks

MKID

c&g 6189 is the standard plumbing qualification and level 2 nvq diploama is worthless unless you do a on site prtflio and recienve the full award nvq is a practical course it measures some one compentance so there should be practical with in your studies how ever depends on which college your doing.

What college are you thinking of doing your 6189 at? Do you have any plumbing experience? How long do you expect to train to become a competent plumber?

if your doing it with a goverment college you can trust time but if its a training provider be wary of some and also you dont need qualifications to work self employed so best thing to do is get on a good training provider they supply you with 6 weeks practical may not be enough but you can work voluntaryly for a plumber on the side and gain your experience then move on to self employed but doesnt matter if you have the best qualifications with out experience no one is going to hire you....

good luck

The experience is paramount, as stated above. Get a feel for plumbing first then apply to the college. Hope this helps

I'm willing to spend one or two years to train properly, as I would rather take a job as a trainee if i can find one and complete a course properly. These training centres that promise to get you qualified in 6 weeks seem a waste of time and a lot of money. I don't want to be landed with a pointless qualification and no job prospects.

Do you know if this is a feasible way to do it?

Thanks,

MKID

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to 6189 Plumbing and Domestic Heating Diploma Level 2 in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi there, looking to gain experience as a plumber's mate in Essex area, I'm from Rayleigh and have a full driving licence and Van. Looking for a step into domestic plumbing. I have experience working in general property maintenance for a family business. I have completed a Level 2 technical...
Replies
Views
I am selling my 3-year City& Guilds Accredited NVQ Level 3 Diploma in Plumbing and Heating I cant complete it due to work commitments. Provider New Trades Career. (There Course fee is £7800) newtradescareer dot co dot uk/courses/plumbing FULL COURSE: £6500 Mail if for this exciting...
Replies
Views
Hi there, I am a junior plumber based in South East London (Zone 1), but can get to most areas quite easily. In terms of Qualifications I have completed level 2 Diploma in Plumbing and Heating with 1 years experience working as an emergency response engineer primarily carrying out maintenance...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone I'm about to progress from Level 2 C&G to Level 3 (starting in September): I'd always thought i would do the Level 3 Gas, as this was the only course my local college offered, but i've just found out they're now also offering Level 3 Plumbing and Heating. Does anyone have any advice...
Replies
Views
Hi, I’m a 26 year old male who currently is working as a water hygiene engineer. and I’ve just paid £2000 to start my level 2 plumbing diploma in September but I’m worried if I’ve rushed into this course seeing how much money it is. I’m really interesting in plumbing and hopefully this will set...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock