Search the forum,

Discuss 6129 TC'S Going? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

fuzzy

With the 6129 qualification being stopped this summer :eek: (so we are told?) and replaced with a diploma that requires people to be employed as a plumber such as in the old style aprenticeships. How do you suppose this will affect

1 - The whole plumbing and gas sector
2 - The new people wanting to be plumbers who dont have jobs?

Seems to me like a major change, do you agree with it?

Is it :mad: or :D

I believe all City & Guilds qualifications are transferable. So if at some point you wish to continue & complete NVQ2 after your 6129 then this will not be a problem.

Tiny bit of info is on the C&G site (I would post link but you need 20 posts of more to do this :mad:):

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong!

I believe all City & Guilds qualifications are transferable. So if at some point you wish to continue & complete NVQ2 after your 6129 then this will not be a problem.

Tiny bit of info is on the C&G site (I would post link but you need 20 posts of more to do this :mad:):

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong!

there is talk of there being a bridging task to uprade 6129's to the diploma in future. The problem is nobody can do a 6129 next year, it has finished. There will be no Tec Cert to sign on to

firstly i think by them doing this the overflood of people trying to become plumbers will stop.

as far as people who havnt got a job, as i am led to belive you can still do the course but you will not be able to complete the full qualifacation(as said in a previous post).

also my tutor has told me that the first part( health and safety) will be EXACTLY same as sparkys,joiners,brickies so if you felt after youd started a course in plumbing that its not what you want, you could move over to another field.

as i say, and as i always say, this is from my tutor so please dont take my word for it as i dont know the full extent of whats happening nyself yet(wish i did).

your tutors correct andy. They are doing it in modules now and there are 3 modules that can be crossed between trades, So once you have passed thses modules and decide to change trade you still have them.

At my college the tutor explained that the 6129 ends in september but they enrol in august therefor this year people can still do the 6129.

When it changes it will be the same thing with a different name, You do not have to be in employment but you wont be fully qualified unless you are. The new diploma is without the lead, well its optional and much deeper than in the 6129.

people who complete the 6129 level 2 will be able to enrol on the new look diploma level 3

Last edited by a moderator:
anyone know what all this means to someone who last year completed 6129,and now has only a bathroom instal left to complete nvq2 ?

im pretty sure the new framework doesnt start till september, so as long as you can get your bathroom install in before then you should be o.k.

have you got it lined up?

like i say im pretty sure the new framework starts in september, best advice i can give is have a word with your tutors/assesor and see what they say, they will probably give your more info than me.

but to be honest i would hope that if thats all youve got to do they would sort something for you, as there's no way you would have to go back through the whole process, good luck, and keep us updated.

anyone know what all this means to someone who last year completed 6129,and now has only a bathroom instal left to complete nvq2 ?

It doesnt matter because you are still on the 6129 , My 6129 doesnt end until 2011 and there is another year that ends in 2012.

Because you are on it you get to finish it. everyone that enrols before september will get to do the full course even if they enrol on august 31st.

sorry to seem thick whats a 6129 tcs? i done level 3-4 donkeys years ago

Hi Lads.

You have a bathroom install left? isnt that the 6129 anyway and not the NVQ? The NVQ being work on site?

Yes, you can still do the course when it changes to a diploma this summer but you will not fully qualifiy unless you are employed. Are people willing to pay 5k and not get a qualificiaiton? The goverment do not pay for courses unless people can come out with a piece of paper so they wont pay unless your an apprentice

If your signed up on the 6129 you will have a couple of years to finish it, i dont really see the point as it is old news now and not worth much in its on right but it is when upgraded to an NVQ or DIPLOMA. If you can do this it means your employed, if so do the DIPLOMA

You should be ok if you are already enrolled you other levels.
When the craft cert ended and the tech cert came in there were fist year students who were worried they had done a year for naffall but what happened was they carried on the craft cert qual till the end of level 3. All it ment is if you enroll in sept you will be on the deploma if you have already enrolled for level 2&3 and nvqs 2&3 you will carry on. But I stress you need to be enrolled because once it changes that's it no more enrolment and you could be stuck with half of a qual and strugle to het on the new format because of how it will work. Or you might not struggle they may make it easy.
That's my view anyway.mac

You should be ok if you are already enrolled you other levels.
When the craft cert ended and the tech cert came in there were fist year students who were worried they had done a year for naffall but what happened was they carried on the craft cert qual till the end of level 3. All it ment is if you enroll in sept you will be on the deploma if you have already enrolled for level 2&3 and nvqs 2&3 you will carry on. But I stress you need to be enrolled because once it changes that's it no more enrolment and you could be stuck with half of a qual and strugle to het on the new format because of how it will work. Or you might not struggle they may make it easy.
That's my view anyway.mac

i am told that with a 6129 L2 you will not be able to go to diploma L3 without a conversion or bridging module which will be site based. Therefore once again without a job you are stuck at level 2. You need a job to complete L3 diploma anyway ?

No point places running the course for non employed, they wont get funding or a qual from what i gather

Hi Guys,

Just a quick one I am due to go to southampton this weekend for my practicals - so will be with my tutor's if there are any issues or question please let me know and I will ask the questions and get back to you

Jamie

Hi Guys,

Just a quick one I am due to go to southampton this weekend for my practicals - so will be with my tutor's if there are any issues or question please let me know and I will ask the questions and get back to you

Jamie

Thats would be great. Try and ask if all we hear about what is going on is accurate as there seems to be little info out there.
What will they run when the 6129 runs out? They may say they can still run it for now, Yes thats true but it will go very soon regardless, what are the plans then?

Thanks

Ok fuzzy

Will do and will get back to you might be a week as I am down there for the week with no computer

Ok fuzzy

Will do and will get back to you might be a week as I am down there for the week with no computer

Thanks.

i think people need to know the 6129 is going and i believe its because too many have trained as 6129 only and not ugraded to the nvq which industry recognise as the qualification. therefore by changing it it stops people doing a TC only

its as youve stated in a previous post fuzzy, when the new framework starts you can do the course regardless if you have a job or not, but if you dont you will not be able to gain the full qualifacation, wich in turn should cut the numbers down.

good thing or a bad thing????????

its as youve stated in a previous post fuzzy, when the new framework starts you can do the course regardless if you have a job or not, but if you dont you will not be able to gain the full qualifacation, wich in turn should cut the numbers down.

good thing or a bad thing????????

What college or private centre will run a course that does not lead to a qualification?
Who would want to go on such a course?
who would pay for units but not a qualificiation?

I suggest very few, when theres no demand, shops shut down that line, i presume all but major city colleges or centres will do the same.

this is as it stands and if we hear is true?

as i am led to belive fuzzy from my tutors that is the case,

as is the case now, you can do the tech cert but if you dont do the nvq its not classed as a full qualifaction.

there isnt going to be a change in the way you do the course, just that everything will be included into one, where as now its diveded into two.

like ive always said, and always say, if you have better info, or know better than please post to advise us all.

I have shared what i know about the changes. I dont think people appreciate the changes the new quals will bring about. people seem to be playing it down. It will have a massive affect

i personaly appreciate the changes, as it it stands at the moment every cat and his dog are doing the 6129, theres people on my course who have absoulotely no chance of getting into the trade or any trade, but are doing the course(funded by the goverment) just to get some d.i.y knowledge, im not knocking these people but there has to be a line drew somewhere. And it will have a massive affect on people wich i toatally agree, for many years the plumbing qual has been the same, so a shake up of the way it's taught/deliverd, and what it consists of are going to be a whole new world.

Last registration date for 6089 and 6129 is 31 December 2010.
Last certification date for 6089 and 6129 level 2 is 31 December 2012.
Last certification date for 6089 and 6129 level 3 is 31 December 2013.

This is from c&g web page hope it helps

Those registration dates are put back to dec incase the new qual isnt ready. therefore if the new qual is ready in sep thats the one people will go on. its like a safety net. They have to have a long certification date as it is unfair for someone to start a course and not be allowed to finish. so if you start the 6129 you will continue past this sep

This has been pull straight from the ATL website regarding their training course.

[DLMURL="http://www.apprenticeshiptraining.co.uk/plumber-course/"]ATL Training for Trades :: Plumber Course[/DLMURL]

Note regarding the City and Guilds 6089 NVQ:

Having attained the technical certificate in *module 1 and 2, you will be able to attain the C&G 6089 NVQ. In order to take the NVQ you will need to be working for a plumbing or heating contracting firm. If you’re going self-employed, but you still wish to obtain your NVQ level 2 and 3 then subject to availability we may be able to provide you with sufficient work experience. Please ask for details.

Plumber
leading to NVQ level 3

*Module 1 – Plumbing Foundation

This module has been designed to give you an introduction to the Plumbing industry and the role of the Plumber in the construction and mechanical services sectors. It will give you a thorough grounding in plumbing principles and technologies and is the essential underpinning knowledge and stepping stone for those wanting to gain full Plumbing professional status by attainment of the NVQ. In this module you will learn simple pipework techniques and tackle typical sanitary tasks. At this point in your study you will be limited to working under supervision with a plumbing company.

Topic areas

Health & Safety Plumbing Science Practical Application Plumbing Systems Regulations in the MES section Simple pipework installation Sanitary accommodation installation, maintenance and design

Outcomes

City & Guilds 6022 Copper Pipe-work installation Certificate
BPEC – Water Supply (Water Fittings) Regulations 1999
City & Guilds 6032 Sanitary Accommodation Installation Maintenance and Design Certificate
LOGIC Legionella Prevention Certificated
Construction skills certification scheme (CSCS) health & safety card.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*Module 2 – Plumbing Intermediate

Upon successful completion of the Plumbing Intermediate Level, you will have attained several industry recognised qualifications including the City & Guilds 6129 Technical Certificate at Level 2 and the City & Guilds 6089 NVQ Level 2. On successful completion of the comprehensive practical training you will also be able to register as an approved contractor with your local authority under the BPEC Water Regulations scheme. As a NVQ level 2 plumber you will hold an industry recognised qualification proving your competence to work on domestic plumbing installations in an employed or self-employed capacity.

Topic areas

Non-complex central heating systems Non-complex hot water systems Basic electrical principles relating to heating system components Installation and maintenance of plumbing systems Customer relations Drainage and guttering Sheet lead weathering systems.

Outcomes

City & Guilds 6129 Technical Certificate Level 2
City & Guilds 6089 NVQ level 2
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Module 3 – Plumbing Advanced

The Plumbing Advanced Level of the course will see you acquire six further qualifications; in addition to advanced plumbing systems and skills this module will see you gain knowledge and practical skills in gas and electrical systems too. Having completed the course, as an NVQ level 3 advanced craft plumber you can work alongside a qualified gas installer and gain sufficient experience to meet the minimum entry requirements for the gas accreditation scheme. Following ACS accreditation and sufficient on-site hours you will be eligible to apply to become a registered gas installer.

Topic areas

Gas systems and supply Gas appliance installation and servicing Complex central heating systems Complex hot water systems Domestic electrical installation works relating to plumbing & heating engineers Solar powered domestic hot water heating systems Shower Installation

Outcomes

Part P Defined Scope electrical qualification
Unvented Hot Water Storage Systems - LOGIC Certificated
Logic certificated Solar powered domestic hot water heating systems
City & Guilds 6084 Energy Efficiency Certificate
ATL Shower Installation certificate
City & Guilds 6129 technical certificate level 3
City & Guilds 6089 NVQ level 3

spoke to my college tutor on tuesday, he is going to an official meeting regarding the course/s for next year/september so as soon as i know i will let you know.

spoke to my college tutor on tuesday, he is going to an official meeting regarding the course/s for next year/september so as soon as i know i will let you know.

Has he been Andy, anyone else any new updates? Seemed to have gone quiet with all this.

Also , the message dont seem to be out there. the number of people who have come on here saying they are doing a tech cert next year!

no fuzzy he's due to go at the start of may, and once he's been he will know the outcome 100%, but the way he keeps on talking i think he already knows the outcome, wich is that the 6129 will be no more and the new course with nvq included will be put in place. so if you have no work place recorder than you cannot complete the whole qualifaction.

What about people who have completed the tech certificate but not started the nvq level 2. Should i try and get started with my nvq or wait? what is best?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to 6129 TC'S Going? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock