Search the forum,

Discuss 6129 completed folder in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

armyash

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
I have my 6129 folder in front of me and i completed this 3 yrs ago. I also have the certificates i achieved from the course.

What exactly is the purpose of the C&G 6129 folder? is it just a collection of evidence

only reason i ask is the certificates say city and guilds level 2 certificate in basic plumbing studies. is this decent plumbing qualification? whats the difference between this and an NVQ?

I will be starting work in the industry soon as i have just completed my natural gas and LPG also.

I have my 6129 folder in front of me and i completed this 3 yrs ago. I also have the certificates i achieved from the course.

What exactly is the purpose of the C&G 6129 folder? is it just a collection of evidence

only reason i ask is the certificates say city and guilds level 2 certificate in basic plumbing studies. is this decent plumbing qualification? whats the difference between this and an NVQ?

I will be starting work in the industry soon as i have just completed my natural gas and LPG also.

if you dont have a work book and it signed how does anyone know what you have achieved, and then apply for a certificate

NVQ is alot different to the 6129. 6129 is only college based, nvq is the 6129 + on site assessment and evidence and therefore recognised more by employers

if you dont have a work book and it signed how does anyone know what you have achieved, and then apply for a certificate

NVQ is alot different to the 6129. 6129 is only college based, nvq is the 6129 + on site assessment and evidence and therefore recognised more by employers

Thanks for the quick reply.

So are the C&G level 2 certificates in basic plumbing studies worth much?

Probably worth more if sold on eBay :p

It's frustrating because of the time and money(?) spent on gaining these. What seems to matter (to employers at least) is actual working knowledge, not the theories. You're expected to know the theory but you are much more valuable with NVQs.

Tiny example, replacing a WC inlet valve:

C&G tells you to turn off supply using isolating valve next to WC.
Working knowledge tells you what to do if there's no isolating valve there.

It's frustrating because of the time and money(?) spent on gaining these. What seems to matter (to employers at least) is actual working knowledge, not the theories. You're expected to know the theory but you are much more valuable with NVQs.

Working knowledge tells you what to do if there's no isolating valve there.[/QUOTE

thanks for the reply.

I have passed my gas assessment just waiting on my certificates. Obviously these are going to hold more value when looking for a job but i want to be able to do plumbing as well as gas work. What would be the next step best for me? nvq level 2?
do you know how much the nvq 2 course would cost roughly?

Working knowledge tells you what to do if there's no isolating valve there.[/QUOTE

thanks for the reply.

I have passed my gas assessment just waiting on my certificates. Obviously these are going to hold more value when looking for a job but i want to be able to do plumbing as well as gas work. What would be the next step best for me? nvq level 2?
do you know how much the nvq 2 course would cost roughly?

here we have another who has passed acs with no working knowledge or background in the plumbing industry, have i wasted my time doing an apprenticeship when there seems to be an easier way,i think not, i am proud i done an apprenticeship and hope customers ,employees will know better than to even let these fly by night,a danger to the industry people through there doors.

here we have another who has passed acs with no working knowledge or background in the plumbing industry, have i wasted my time doing an apprenticeship when there seems to be an easier way,i think not, i am proud i done an apprenticeship and hope customers ,employees will know better than to even let these fly by night,a danger to the industry people through there doors.

The reason i have no working knowledge is that the course has been done through the army, i did a 9month course for the 6129 and 7 month course for gas. I have got the trade as being in the royal engineers they give you a trade. I'm not planning on being a cowboy, i will not be walking in to the big wide world thinking i'm a knowledgable plumber and causing a health risk to people.

I have just started offering my services in my area on weekends for free to anyone who needs a 'mate'. Also the guy i did my civvy detachment with to build up my portfolio has said he'll take me out when he can so i can gain some working knowledge, this'll be on weekends or when i'm on leave. No promises from him but it's a start. I won't be leaving the army for at least 18 months so by time i do leave my knowledge will be lot better than basic like it is now.

There isn't many people who would be prepared to give up there weekends when working full time in order to gain the experience, especially when already have quals most would just go out and start bodging the jobs. I plan on making it a successful career where i will build and maintain a good working relationship. I'm just doing it in reverse order i already have the quals but i am more than prepared to work as an apprentice for however long it takes to get to where i need to be.

will not be 'fly by night, a danger to the industry'

The reason i have no working knowledge is that the course has been done through the army, i did a 9month course for the 6129 and 7 month course for gas. I have got the trade as being in the royal engineers they give you a trade. I'm not planning on being a cowboy, i will not be walking in to the big wide world thinking i'm a knowledgable plumber and causing a health risk to people.

I have just started offering my services in my area on weekends for free to anyone who needs a 'mate'. Also the guy i did my civvy detachment with to build up my portfolio has said he'll take me out when he can so i can gain some working knowledge, this'll be on weekends or when i'm on leave. No promises from him but it's a start. I won't be leaving the army for at least 18 months so by time i do leave my knowledge will be lot better than basic like it is now.

There isn't many people who would be prepared to give up there weekends when working full time in order to gain the experience, especially when already have quals most would just go out and start bodging the jobs. I plan on making it a successful career where i will build and maintain a good working relationship. I'm just doing it in reverse order i already have the quals but i am more than prepared to work as an apprentice for however long it takes to get to where i need to be.

will not be 'fly by night, a danger to the industry'
good response ash..but try to post only once as it saves me time deleting em..

Last edited by a moderator:
good response ash..but try to post only once as it saves me time deleting em..

first i would like to commend you for the job you do now,i think the army do a fantastic job in the face of adversity,and how lucky are you that your employer get you ready for life after the army,but believe me mate the industry you have chosen for whatever reason has been battered,false claims,greedy traing agency and i would include colleges in that aswell,thousands with a lack of experience or knowledge promoting themselves qualified,listen mate i am not going to go on and on. good luck you'll need it.

first i would like to commend you for the job you do now,i think the army do a fantastic job in the face of adversity,and how lucky are you that your employer get you ready for life after the army,but believe me mate the industry you have chosen for whatever reason has been battered,false claims,greedy traing agency and i would include colleges in that aswell,thousands with a lack of experience or knowledge promoting themselves qualified,listen mate i am not going to go on and on. good luck you'll need it.

Thanks for the comments appreciate it. Will have to make sure i'm one of the good guys who will only work when confident and competent. Sure i'll need my fair share of good luck to go with the hard work also. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to 6129 completed folder in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock