Search the forum,

Discuss 42 yr old police officer and looking to change career. Advice please. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Goobs10

I have been a police officer for 13 years and I'm sick to death of it, especially with how this conservative government has destroyed the police force.

I am interested in learning a trade such as plumbing or carpentry. However, financially, I would have to do this while remaining in the force. My question is what is the most practical route to take? Should I consider online courses to study? Try and find somebody to work alongside and learn from etc?

Even if it's not feasible to do it now, if I can make it through to retirement in the police (another 12 years if I retire at 55) it will be nice to have a trade I can work in perhaps on a part time basis after I retire.

Welcome along Goobs, there are a lot of posts on the forum asking the same question. To be a good plumber takes time and on site experiance, to be a self employed plumber takes even longer and costs with van, tools, insurance as a start, have you considered something like being a tiler where the money can be good and the training and costs are less?

Study at a local college one or two evenings a week. Plenty of people do it and seem to be alright. However you will have to take the plunge sooner or later and do it as a job. It's not the glorious job it's made out to be btw. I got mates as plasterers and tilers who are on ridiculous wages so don't dismis the idea of something else either

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to 42 yr old police officer and looking to change career. Advice please. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I currently work in an office job on mid 20's salary and hate being chained to the desk. Looking for a career change to become a gas and heating engineer. I have came across various courses which offer retraining such as the below...
Replies
Views
I've been lurking for a while so thought i'd say hello and ask my first question! I'm due to retire in 18 months, i'm currently 47 and would like to retrain as a plumber.. I know that the career change thing and fast track 6 week course has been done to death so apologies. I'm fortunate...
Replies
Views
H
I'm a 31 yr old male 3 weeks into the level 2 City and Guilds certificate course. I trained as a Nurse in late teens and practiced until my mid twenties at which point I became an accountant/bookkeeper and have been slowly dying in front of a computer screen ever since. Recently decided to...
Replies
Views
J
Hi all, I'm John and I'm an architect who is wanting to switch to plumbing. I have a good friend who is an excellent plumber and he suggested I should try find an apprenticeship. Just looking for any advice on companies in and around Glasgow/Central belt Scotland that are more likely to take...
Replies
Views
M
I am a 25 year old looking to make a career change to plumbing. This has been a goal of mine for some time, so I have undertaken my 2 year City & Guilds Level 2 Diploma in Plumbing Studies at The City of Westminster College. I am now seeking to gain more practical experience and eventually...
Replies
Views
Mheppolette
M
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock