Search the forum,

Discuss 3 year old new build flat - Powerflush required?? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all - looking for some quick advice and all opinions welcomed!

Question: Is it really possible for a 3 year old new build flat Ideal Combi 35 to have "Multiple component failure due to poor water quality - drain down & powerflush required to inhibit future related issues, which are now unlikely to be covered under T&Cs"? The radiators and boiler and pipes etc were all brand new when the flat was built in a large complex 3 years ago and it hasn't been touched by anyone but Scottish Gas on their contract.

The recommendation is a £700 powerflush for a 3 year old system. The suggestion is that the water has too much chemical in it and that has caused blockages and issues. When the boiler is working, it heats the water and the radiators fine so any blockages don't seem to be in the radiators or pipework but potentially could be in the smaller pipes that feed the sensors of the boiler? To be clear, just feeding the boiler more water pressure doesn't fix the issue.

The history is something like this:

2014 - collected keys of new flat
Jan 2016 - F1 error. Low Water Pressure switch wiring looks incorrect. Fixed
Apr 2016 - Cleaned out blockage leading to LWP
Jul 2016 - Blockage and sensor fault. Replaced PCB
1 Jul 2017 - F1 error. Drained boiler. Checked LWP. Re-charged expansion tank. Boiler checked out okay
11 Jul 2017 - F1 error. Replaced Low Pressure Warning switch
20 Jul 2017 - F1 error again.. seeking advice from UKPLUMBERSFORUM!

It is hard to believe such a new system needs a full on powerflush to fix it. My experience is a powerflush takes hours and is for really bringing to life an old tired heating system and radiators in a house that has had rust in the radiators etc. I'd welcome any views or questions I should ask.

Thanks - Steven RW

Do you have a water softener? If so, draining and refilling withoutnbypassing that will destroy your boiler. I have also come across Glowworm boiler of just a few years old that kept getting blockages (the way they are designed meant a powerflush didn't cure it). Good luck though.

Sounds like your system was losing pressure constantly. This can introduce air and this can form blockages.
Personally, I think it won't need a clean, just a system filter and cure the loss of pressure issue.

dirt could be caused with constant topping up with fresh water. should find and fix problem which causing pressure drop, could be prv or leak somewhere. as suggested, magnetic filter close to boiler would be good. were these repairs done under warranty?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to 3 year old new build flat - Powerflush required?? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock