Search the forum,

Discuss 3 tee rule anyone? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

keith1967

hi all, what is the 3 tee rule?

It's the order in which the bypass, cylinder return and heating return are connected. Running from the boiler back the connection order should be bypass, cylinder, heating. After the heating return the cylinder return and bypass should be teed in at right angles to prevent reverse circulation. It's a very simple rule but it's amazing how many people ignore it and then can't work out why the upstairs rads are hot in the summer.

Mike

It's the order in which the bypass, cylinder return and heating return are connected. Running from the boiler back the connection order should be bypass, cylinder, heating. After the heating return the cylinder return and bypass should be teed in at right angles to prevent reverse circulation. It's a very simple rule but it's amazing how many people ignore it and then can't work out why the upstairs rads are hot in the summer.

Mike
Couldn't remember the order aha so cheers! Need this for today!

I'll have another study upstairs - I reckon I've got this problem and have never pin pointed it.

Mike

one of my "3T's" is the vent pipe right off the boiler flow, then the cold feed, then the hot water return is the last T before the return pipe goes back to the boiler

Blimey ! Including redsaws that makes it the 7 T rule ?

first t on flow should be cylinder, last on return should be cylinder, if not you can get reverse circulation

Known as the Common Tee.
The return from the cylinder to the boiler should be the last Tee, in other words return all the heating in before the cylinder. The further away the better to stop the chances of rads heating up when hot water only is on.

Can someone draw a diagram of the 3 tee rule. I am studying plumbing n heating in my 2nd year.

Hi to the pros of the plumbing and heating department.my friends dad's house is a sealed s plan system. When i call for hot water some rads heat up. I've replaced the motorised valves to honey well.. It's always been like this since they can remember. With out looking under the floor to further investigate. Is there anything I could do above the floor to give some clue to why this is happening.. I am in my second year apprenticeship.

Can someone give a diagram on a -s-plan the first tee is the heating zone valve or the hot water zone valve? Can so one give a diagram the way it should be done.

I will try to explain it, but might be hard to say. You normally do the S plan system with flow solely coming from boiler and then to a point where you tee off (2 branches) with 2 motorised valves. One for heating and the other for rads and then pipe to those.
The return to boiler is the key to this. The Return goes from the cylinder back to the boiler. You MUST only branch off this main return once! Ideally at boiler, (but it can also be done differently & I will explain that later). If you branched off with a second tee as you passed a rad return valve (very tempting), you will create a loop in the return circuit through the rads.

(Different method of using a return tee off for cylinder, ie - return branched to rads first, cylinder return continuing further, will work providing the rad return branched pipe is dipped down from its tee to prevent gravity heat to rads as pumped return passes- but this is usually not the way to do it)

Last edited:

Mike

Never took bypass back to boiler,its always linked to the cylinder return ,which is then took back to boiler ,always left at least a metre plus space between cyl, return before tee'ing rads into the return pipe.Done over 600 's plans', never had any rads warm when HW is on..

bloody hell,holy thread revival ,i dont get why many struggle and its not the last 3 t rule,get the facts and terminology right its easy Last tee must go back to domestics or as tam would say for the hard of thinking,the last tee on the return must be the return from the cylinder,no rads too come off after this t

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to 3 tee rule anyone? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Has anyone one fit or serviced one of these before; Heatrae Sadia 25l 9004010. It a 25 litre hot water storage cylinder.
Replies
Views
Hi, My current hot water system needs to be replaced. Anyone got any suggestions or can recommend any plumbers around Derrimut area that won't rip me off? An office guy recommended me to apply for government rebates and get it installed through timetosave.com.au. How reliable is this...
Replies
Views
Hello, I am seeking some advice, I have a POTTERTON PROMAX 28 COMBI Boiler and I noticed yesterday that the water around the house is no longer warming up. The heat exchanger has been changed 6 months ago, so I do not believe it is that. Does anyone have any ideas on what it could be? Thanks
Replies
Views
Recently had a Viessmann Vitodens combi boiler installed, quite often when the adjacent cold mixer tap is opened the boiler starts for a few seconds! Can anyone tell me what is causing this? And how to cure?
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock