Search the forum,

Discuss 3 port valve problem in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Nick Cox

Gas Engineer
Why does my heating only work when hot water is satisfied, the motorised valve only opens when hot water is up to temp when I turn up cylinder stat valve shuts again. Worked ok for long enough wondering if its the synchron motor but it seems to open valve ok when hot water is satisfied.

Why does my heating only work when hot water is satisfied, the motorised valve only opens when hot water is up to temp when I turn up cylinder stat valve shuts again. Worked ok for long enough wondering if its the synchron motor but it seems to open valve ok when hot water is satisfied.
If it's a Honeywell System W or similar, with either/or diverter valve (not mid-position) that's how it's meant to work. How long is long enough? Maybe you didn't notice it all summer as CH wasn't being called.

15 years plus its a mid position valve
OK, sounds like it could be an electrical problem with the valve. In case you don't have it, wiring diagrams below, showing both the overall system wiring and the valve internals. Might be worth trying clean the switch contacts. If it's not that, and it's getting the right voltages when it should, sounds like a replacement head needed.
It seems to be working as a W-plan. You could just leave it like that. I have a W-plan and I don't find the time waiting occasionally for CH due to HW preference is a problem. Maybe different if you use a lot of hot water.
upload_2018-10-29_21-27-0.png
upload_2018-10-29_21-28-7.png

Last edited:

Reply to 3 port valve problem in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, I have a Vailant EcoTec Boiler with a Megaflo. These are controlled by a Honeywell controller. I have one 3 port diverter, where one of the outputs goes to a 2 port diverter prior to the Megaflo (I believe this is some safety feature). I have run into an intermittent problem where some...
Replies
Views
Hi All, Hope somebody can help :) I have a vented HW system with a pressurised Ch system but got bit of a annoying issue, when the hot water comes on all seems ok then after about 15/20 mins i started to hear a trickling noise from hw cylinder which i can also hear in the boiler. The central...
Replies
Views
In our sealed Megalo system, when hot water tap is used (say in bathroom shower) the megaflo is taking in some fresh water, I guess to compensate for the water used. The incoming water go via a pressure relief valve [most likely its this one: Heatrae Sadia 8 Bar Pressure Relief Valve -...
Replies
Views
Trying to find out exactly what happens when my system boiler is called to supply the radiators and hot water cylinder at the same time. For example today, whilst the boiler was on heating the water, the room stat triggered the boiler to supply the rads. The diverter valve installed in the...
Replies
Views
M
I've got a heating boiler which heats up the water in a tank located in a cupboard upstairs and then from there I get hot water & hearing. I get hot water ok but the heating doesn't come on when turning the thermostat to a higher temperature. I've got a 2 way motorized diverter valve which would...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock