Search the forum,

Discuss 3 port motorised valve wiring question. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Ok Dal, let’s try and break this down: at any point were you able to have separate heating, separate hot water or both (mid position)? Obviously you have a wiring fault,but could have always been like that including the programmer. If you are like me and stubborn until it’s fixed then providing you can work safely maybe check this out:

Y Plan central heating system
Thanks CBW.I will have a good look at the wiring and report back to you.Much appreciated for your time.
Dal

Let us know what you find. I’m a bit busy for a an hour or so now but CBW and the others who commented can help. Before I go for now you say the old valve wouldn’t give CH without HW, that sounds like the second switch had packed up (assuming it’s the same principle inside as a Honeywell).

I’m not familiar with these corgi branded valves unfortunately. I was under the impression that the levers are for system filling and not a switch to bring on boiler? As CBW has linked, check that out. Also like he said have you ever had independent control?
In the wiring centre how many wires are in the connector with the orange boiler live?
Let us know what you find. I’m a bit busy for a an hour or so now but CBW and the others who commented can help. Before I go for now you say the old valve wouldn’t give CH without HW, that sounds like the second switch had packed up (assuming it’s the same principle inside as a Honeywell).

I think someone quoted earlier that they are similar to Honeywell.

Dal, did you try the link I sent earlier regarding the Corgi valve? https://www.banicocontrols.com/uploads/media/instruction_954311.pdf

Either way, let us know how you get on. Ciao for now.

If you decide to try different wiring combinations in your connector box make sure your programmer is independently fused with a 3amp fuse! I incorrectly wired a replacement three way valve and fried mine because it had a 13amp fuse.

If you decide to try different wiring combinations in your connector box make sure your programmer is independently fused with a 3amp fuse! I incorrectly wired a replacement three way valve and fried mine because it had a 13amp fuse.

Oops! You live and learn ;)

Am I reading this right. You accidentally wired up a new three port wrong (it happens to all of us) and because there was a 13amp fuse you fried the programmer before fuse blew? That I understand but there should only ever be one fuse on these systems (apart from any that might be in boiler), have I read that wrong?

Yes. Thats exactly what I did. There is one isolating fused switch in my airing cupboard which protects the control box, programmer, 3 way valve and cylinder thermostat. I inadvertently wired up a replacement 3 port valve wrongly and because the isolating switch had been wrongly fused with a 13amp instead of 3amp fuse it burnt out the programmer! So I ended replacing the programmer - as well as the fuse!

Ah I see. Yes I’m fully aware of how a fuse protects the system and components, however I initially read your comment as you had two switched fused spur lives into the heating circuit. As you know this is a no lol. Was on a job once and the heating circuit had two lives to it through two switched fused spurs, we didn’t realise, isolated the first then got a shock when taking out some of the wiring. Never again lol

Reply to 3 port motorised valve wiring question. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock