Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Checkout our Plumbers Insurance area - heavily discounted Public Liability Insurance and Van Insurance specifically designed for plumbers.

Discuss 3 port motorised valve wiring question. in the Central Heating Forum area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

1. Dalminty

Dalminty New Member

Good evening everyone,
    Question 1
    I have just replaced my 3 port motorised valve head and wired it in.
    When looking at my chocolate block connector the orange and grey wires are in different places than the diagram on the instructions shows.
    As you look at the terminal block for all the wiring, there are 10 segmants to the chocolate block.
    My wiring shows no 8 on the choc block a grey wire and no 7 on the choc bloc a orange wire.
    On the instructions,no 8 shows orange and no 7 shows grey.
    Could someone please tell me which is correct.

Question 2
    Could the above wiring problem affect my heating programmer as I now can't have just hot water without having the heating on aswell.
    Before I wired in the new valve I was getting heating on with water aswell.
    The programmer seems now to be working the other way round.
    The programmer is a Honeywell ST699.

Thanks everyone.
    Dal

2. SJB060685

SJB060685 Top Contributor!!

Grey is HW off and orange is to connect to boiler live. Without seeing your wiring centre I couldn’t see what’s what.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. CBW1982

CBW1982 GSR Top Contributor!!

What make is the motorised head?

4. Dalminty

Dalminty New Member

Hi,Thanks for your reply.

5. Dalminty

Dalminty New Member

The valve head was bought from toolstation and is boxed up as corgi.The valve assembly is a Banico zvm22.
    Thanks for your reply
    Dal.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Riley

Riley S. Mod Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Banico are kind of a Honeywellreplica.
    if memory serves I am pretty sure that their heads are interchangeable. Have had a problem with a few of them failing in a short space of time

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  7. Dalminty

Dalminty New Member

Thanks Riley.
    I have replaced the head and wired up exactly as the wires came out.
    I used to put the heating on at the programmer and always have to put the water on aswell otherwise the boiler would not fire up.
    Since changing the valve and wiring it in I have to put the heating on and the water which means that when summer comes the rads will be on.
    Cheers Dal

8. SJB060685

Sounds like programmer is set to gravity?

9. Dalminty

Dalminty New Member

Thanks SJB.
    What does thst mean in English?

10. CBW1982

Have a look here, doesn’t mention which numbers:
    https://www.banicocontrols.com/uploads/media/instruction_954311.pdf

11. SJB060685

when you switch heating on at programmer does the HW light light up as well?

12. S.P.S.

S.P.S. GSR

It’s impossible to say if your wiring is correct, even with a picture really, as you need to trace wiring back from the programmer/stats.

When changing a motorised valve, did you put one wire in at a time, in place of the old valves wires ? Or did you take them all out and the put all the new ones in...?

As if it worked before it developed a fault, then it should work nownwith a replacement? I would guess you’ve wired it in wrong.

Stu.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. Dalminty

Dalminty New Member

14. CBW1982

No worries, happy to help. I think you may have a programmer wiring issue as well. I could be wrong but you said in your question 2 and reply to Riley that you have always had to put hot water on also?

15. Dalminty

Dalminty New Member

Thanks for your reply Stu.
    I took a picture on my phone and done a diagram as wanted to make sure I done it properly.
    It's just funny looking at a few wiring diagrams for the banico and honeywell valves the orange and grey wires are in different numbers on the choc block.
    Cheers Dal