Currently reading:
3/4" olives in 22mm compression fittings.

Discuss 3/4" olives in 22mm compression fittings. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

doracake

Hi,

I have to tee into an old 3/4" pipe for a new shower.

I read somwhere you can get 3/4" olives to go into standard 22mm compression fittings.

Is this the done thing? If so are they readily available?

cheers!

just ask at your local merchants for some 3/4" olives.
they are a noticeably different shape ( or at least the ones I have are )

They are also known as green rings as they are colour marked as such. Any plumbers merchant and larger B&Q stores sell them in packets. I compress them first onto the pipe, slacken off the coupling and wind about 8 turns of PTFE tape around the olive/pipe end and they then go into the metric fitting as a nice snug, tight water proof joint.

You can also get JG Speedfit push fit fittings which are 3/4 to 22mm and they are excellent. I get mine here:
John Guest Speedfit JG Speedfit Conversion Connector (size: 22 X 3/4 NC2324)

Yorkshire also make a soldered fitting.

you can get both, not a fan of the cheap soft copper crap since they are always bashed

all the ones i use are round, but the 3/4" x 22mm ones are smaller bore and have a green mark on them

Hmm! Yes quite common to use them especially when we first went metric? I know I was there Ha! Ha!

- and they are copper, checked they are 3/4" - just a bit to small to fit a 22mm pipe

28052012389.jpg28052012388.jpg28052012384.jpg

you also get 3/4" x 22mm york st couplings, obviuosly you need a bit more room to fit 2 of these with a 22mm tee in between, but its always another option, and soldered ones wont leak later

Every time I've bought 3/4" olives they've been copper. Bought them from various merchants, online and in B+Q. Maybe it's a regional thing.

The guy in the plumb. shop did refer to these as Green rings. They seem to have done the trick.

Cheers gents!

Simon, which way do these olives fit?, is the thick end nearer the body or the nut?
Allan

I hope someone answers this question, its also been bugging me...:uhoh2:
only picked these up a few weeks back and have not needed them as yet.
I would go with just see which way seems to fit/work best

The thick end goes into the fitting and the narrow end is onto the pipe end. They look similar to the old olives found in drifted fittings back in the day. Smear some paste, like Boss white round the narrow end before slipping them onto the pipe.

The tapered 3/4 " olives like those, are probably made that way to suit various fittings which may have larger tapers. The long taper goes to the fitting, as said.
Usually the ordinary 3/4 olives do most fittings ok. Ones I see are brass.
A heavy 22mm olive can be used if it is compressed slightly till it is a tight fit for 3/4" pipe. Then it can be compressed fully to make a square on joint, (not twisted as most 22mm olives would be ).

The tapered 3/4 " olives like those, are probably made that way to suit various fittings which may have larger tapers. The long taper goes to the fitting, as said.
Usually the ordinary 3/4 olives do most fittings ok. Ones I see are brass.
A heavy 22mm olive can be used if it is compressed slightly till it is a tight fit for 3/4" pipe. Then it can be compressed fully to make a square on joint, (not twisted as most 22mm olives would be ).
Can you confirm that they way I have the olive in the picture is the correct orientation? cheers Allan

copper2.jpg

Yes, that's the correct way. Always the short taper towards the nut & the long taper to the fitting.

Do first tighten the joint & then undo it to check olive is compressed fully & grips the pipe, then a smear paste.
3/4" pipes are heavier, stronger pipe than new pipe, so olive, needs tight (without over tightening obviously)

Best, thanks, done a few comp joints in my amateur diy life, but just wanted to make sure as I'm replacing my lead main and stopcock tomorrow.
Allan

Good luck with the new mains! As Kirkgas said, solder imperial-metric connectors are tops if possible.

Good luck with the new mains! As Kirkgas said, solder imperial-metric connectors are tops if possible.
Not a big fan of plastic but the JG Speedfit 3/4 x 22mm conversion push fit straights are tops in my book too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to 3/4" olives in 22mm compression fittings. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock