Search the forum,

Discuss 3/4 Brass coupling with nylon thread, why? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Plumb Duff

Hi all, I recently got with a pressurised water heater connections consisting of 3/4 brass nipples and brass couplings, the coupling has rubber seals and nylon internal thread, why would this be the case and can I not just directly couple to the water heater without the coupling supplied using 3/4 elbows to the water heater with the nipples fitted? What is the purpose of the supplied coupling? (attached photo)

Attachments

• viber image.jpg
    viber image.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 44
I should perhaps clarify it is the nipple that is designed to first connect to the water heater then the coupling into that, if I can connect direct to the nipple with an elbow (and this would be the preferred way due to space constraints) then I don’t need the brass/nylon coupling?

In reply to SimonG (thank you) surely the heater protected from damage by the nipple? Correct me if I'm wrong.

Jcplumb is absolutely correct and the warranty is worthless without them.

JC yes that sort of makes sense to me as it looked like it was designed for electrical isolation (albeit water is a conductor) having said that I'm using PVC covered aluminium pipe and it would suite a lot better if I could use the supplied coupling a couple of metres from the tank as opposed to directly onto it, would it make any difference... in your opinion?

It's not for electrical insulation it's to stop corrosion caused by dissimilar metals.

Advise duly taken they will be fitted, many thanks to all that replied

To be fair them ones look decent ones, normally there a bit of formed plastic just normally bin them as the tails out the heaters are plastic any way :s so no need and they always break/ snap as they can't take the heat and cooling

Ariston water heaters

also are you G3 registered as any pressurised water heater needs to be installed by a G3 qualified person

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to 3/4 Brass coupling with nylon thread, why? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock