Search the forum,

Discuss 22mm toilet overflow pipe in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks! It is white sealant - Dow Corning 785. I'll keep an eye for it getting manky!

Thanks! It is white sealant - Dow Corning 785. I'll keep an eye for it getting manky!

I found white silicone tended to be too obvious & also shows every little irregularities in the surfaces - particularily if floor tiles have grooves and also at the tile joints. Clear silicone will not show these & frankly the 'dark' joint you get using clear silicone looks better even on white tiles. Try just setting a new pot on top of tiles & you will find the unjointed base actually looks better than a white jointed base, imo anyhow. Wall tiles to basins I use white silicone ("Forever White" which is guaranteed to stay white & no mould) on basins to walls etc.
Dow Corning 785 I found was going mouldy in wet places like shower tray joints.

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice.
I'll leave it as is for now, but will remove and replace in the future if goes mouldy or looks bad. Any tips on removal? Is use builders wipes and a Stanley blade...

It still looks pretty good in that photo & I would be happy to leave as is. Just thought I would mention my preference for clear silicone on floor. Also prefer clear to chrome shower doors frames (very little used & not really showing).
I remove silicone much the same as you, but have bought a plastic tapered silicone removing tool that I have not tried it. I discovered some of the cleaning sprays attacks the old silicone which is handy. Problem is the risk of scratching the surfaces. I never nowadays use loads of silicone as there is no point in it & it is wasteful but on top of that it is too hard to remove later & what it sticks together.
One thing I highly highly recommend is those silicone tooling shapes. Brilliant & wipe all the excess fresh silicone away & shape the joint depending on which corner shape you use.

By cleaning sprays, what kind of thing do you mean?

I have some rubber ended tools for silicone profiling.

I can't remember the spray I have, but it is the cleaner of the same make as one of the polymer sealants. I will look at it & come back to you on that. It won't remove all silicone but will help remove layers of it.
The "rubber" tools I have for working silicone are actually made of silicone rubber & have different corner shapes - all tapered of square, round & various bite shapes corners. I got them from Lidl for about £4. I find I can get them to flex against the tiles, removing all the silicone even where the tiles have dips or joints. I should have had them years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to 22mm toilet overflow pipe in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock