Discuss 2016. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

dancinplumba

Esteemed
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Subscribed
[SUB]is it true there will be no gas heating in new builds from 2016 ?

[/SUB]

Apparently so, whether or not it actually happens is another thing.

Can't see it happening, the utilities will still want to sell it so I guess they'll run a service and when people move in they'll get boilers etc installed.

Its very much happening now !!!
Most new build sites now are building without gas appliances now by 2016 all new builds must be gas free
district heating from 2 wood chip boilers which went out to HIU's was last new build i worked on last year

otherwise ground source and ashp is future

????
What will u use instead?
electric? Ground source? air source?
Gonna be a cold winter in that house?
I cant see it being true unless there is something to replace it

????
What will u use instead?
electric? Ground source? air source?
Gonna be a cold winter in that house?
I cant see it being true unless there is something to replace it

Very much true fella , this country is to gas hungry

dunno what british gas will call themselves

prob bristish air source power flush

gas will be around for decades but renewables are the future because gas will cost too much. gas is cheaper than heat pump (air source) currently but not for long less than 10 years and ashp will be the main I am sure

Also new builds for housing associations from next year will be built without gas.
Good job they don't use fossil fuels to generate electricity at the power station, else it be a bit daft really.

Also new builds for housing associations from next year will be built without gas.
Good job they don't use fossil fuels to generate electricity at the power station, else it be a bit daft really.

Not only new builds in cornwall ha's are transfering now to renewables

The thing is that ASHP & GSHP have higher running costs than mains gas so on-grid is not economically viable at the moment. But in 2016 who knows what price gas will be?

New builds are great for renewables as they are that well insulated but its everybody else whos houses will cost a fortune to get insulated and will pay a fortune for gas instead.

As for electric coming from gas I think in the near future most will come from nuclear power.

Will still take over a hundred years to change over to 100% renewables gas will be around for our working life times no problem.

most of the renewables are too costly and under perform, better supply the new build owners with some thick jumpers LOL

[SUB]is it true there will be no gas heating in new builds from 2016 ?

[/SUB]
The ACS assessor told me that 2 years ago. I understand it will only effect new build so we will still be allowed to fit gas appliances in existing properties beyond 2016

The ACS assessor told me that 2 years ago. I understand it will only effect new build so we will still be allowed to fit gas appliances in existing properties beyond 2016

theoretically we could still fit gas to new build a month after they are sold, will just be a massive bill for the bill payer as they get a gas supply to the house

Sorry, a bit long. It's a good read though.

I found this PDF on www.decc.gov.uk

"The Future of Heating:A strategic framework for low carbon heat in the UK" March 2012
http://www.decc.gov.uk/assets/decc/...t/4805-future-heating-strategic-framework.pdf

From the above:
And, while natural gas will supply the majority of our heat demand well into the 2020s, cutting emissions from buildings and industry means taking the carbon out of heat in the longer term, managing demand through energy and resource efficiency, and replacing fossil fuels with low carbon alternatives.
This does not need to be a threat.We can see this as a great opportunity for the UK; an opportunity to diversify our sources of heat, make our processes more efficient and our companies more competitive, to develop our cities and towns in sustainable ways that prepare us for a low carbon future, and to bring renewable heat into the mainstream alongside gas boilers, a market which currently sees around 1.6 million new boilers put into homes every year.

From Chapter 2: Transforming Building-Level Heating
• In the majority of UK homes and businesses, heating spaces and water means burning gas in a boiler. For some, it means burning oil, or using electric heaters. Low carbon heating offers cleaner and often more efficient alternatives which will prepare our homes and businesses for the future with sustainable and secure supplies of heat.
• While gas will supply the majority of our heat for many years to come, the change to low carbon is already beginning. Many new homes is now fitted with a heat pump, able to operate three to four times more efficiently than a gas boiler, and businesses are increasingly using heat pumps as a convenient way to both heat and cool their buildings.
• We need to start building the market for low carbon and renewable heat now, both to achieve our goal of supplying 15% of UK energy from renewables by 2020 and to deliver affordable, efficient low carbon heat in the future.

Where we need to be
2.1 By 2050, we need to remove all direct greenhouse gas emissions from heating our buildings.This is exceedingly challenging, and means that any heat generated at building level must be set on a low carbon footing by replacing fossil fuel-based heating technologies within individual buildings, such as natural gas or oil fired boilers, with low carbon alternatives.

2.2 Before we do this, maximising the efficiency of our gas boilers will help realise cost and carbon savings in the short and medium term.
Carbon Plan Trajectory

2.3 By 2020, condensing boilers are expected to have reached around 75% market penetration. Condensing boilers already save consumers over £1 billion a year; further deployment by 2020 could save an additional £1.3 billion.

Hydrogen Storage
2.45 As hydrogen can be generated at the point of use via the electrolysis of water, hydrogen could be produced at building level, and stored until needed during peaks in demand. Stored hydrogen could then be combusted in a modified gas boiler, or converted back into electricity using a fuel cell to run electric heating systems and electrical appliances.

A Hydrogen Grid?
2.47 It may also be possible to repurpose the existing low-pressure gas distribution grid to transport hydrogen at low pressures, which could be used in modified gas boilers and hobs, and in building-level fuel cells.

5.6 Also this decade, the replacement of most of the remaining 13 million non-condensing gas boilers with high-efficiency condensing boilers will improve energy efficiency and reduce emissions.

Looks like the condensing gas boilers are not going anywhere yet.

theoretically we could still fit gas to new build a month after they are sold, will just be a massive bill for the bill payer as they get a gas supply to the house

If it's a one off build in an area where there is already gas it would (might) be possible, unless they are going to block notifications.
If it's a new estate National Grid won't be allowed to install a network.

Sorry, a bit long. It's a good read though.

I found this PDF on www.decc.gov.uk

"The Future of Heating:A strategic framework for low carbon heat in the UK" March 2012
http://www.decc.gov.uk/assets/decc/...t/4805-future-heating-strategic-framework.pdf

From the above:
And, while natural gas will supply the majority of our heat demand well into the 2020s, cutting emissions from buildings and industry means taking the carbon out of heat in the longer term, managing demand through energy and resource efficiency, and replacing fossil fuels with low carbon alternatives.
This does not need to be a threat.We can see this as a great opportunity for the UK; an opportunity to diversify our sources of heat, make our processes more efficient and our companies more competitive, to develop our cities and towns in sustainable ways that prepare us for a low carbon future, and to bring renewable heat into the mainstream alongside gas boilers, a market which currently sees around 1.6 million new boilers put into homes every year.

From Chapter 2: Transforming Building-Level Heating
• In the majority of UK homes and businesses, heating spaces and water means burning gas in a boiler. For some, it means burning oil, or using electric heaters. Low carbon heating offers cleaner and often more efficient alternatives which will prepare our homes and businesses for the future with sustainable and secure supplies of heat.
• While gas will supply the majority of our heat for many years to come, the change to low carbon is already beginning. Many new homes is now fitted with a heat pump, able to operate three to four times more efficiently than a gas boiler, and businesses are increasingly using heat pumps as a convenient way to both heat and cool their buildings.
• We need to start building the market for low carbon and renewable heat now, both to achieve our goal of supplying 15% of UK energy from renewables by 2020 and to deliver affordable, efficient low carbon heat in the future.

Where we need to be
2.1 By 2050, we need to remove all direct greenhouse gas emissions from heating our buildings.This is exceedingly challenging, and means that any heat generated at building level must be set on a low carbon footing by replacing fossil fuel-based heating technologies within individual buildings, such as natural gas or oil fired boilers, with low carbon alternatives.

2.2 Before we do this, maximising the efficiency of our gas boilers will help realise cost and carbon savings in the short and medium term.
Carbon Plan Trajectory

2.3 By 2020, condensing boilers are expected to have reached around 75% market penetration. Condensing boilers already save consumers over £1 billion a year; further deployment by 2020 could save an additional £1.3 billion.

Hydrogen Storage
2.45 As hydrogen can be generated at the point of use via the electrolysis of water, hydrogen could be produced at building level, and stored until needed during peaks in demand. Stored hydrogen could then be combusted in a modified gas boiler, or converted back into electricity using a fuel cell to run electric heating systems and electrical appliances.

A Hydrogen Grid?
2.47 It may also be possible to repurpose the existing low-pressure gas distribution grid to transport hydrogen at low pressures, which could be used in modified gas boilers and hobs, and in building-level fuel cells.

5.6 Also this decade, the replacement of most of the remaining 13 million non-condensing gas boilers with high-efficiency condensing boilers will improve energy efficiency and reduce emissions.

Looks like the condensing gas boilers are not going anywhere yet.

I know its important, but I am bored of this thread now.

I want someone to invent domestic nuclear powered boilers, got to be the answer. After all all the energy saving lamps are full of mercury and that was banned years ago, but the government deemed it fit to push them on us!!!!!!!!!!

I can see the need to find a better source of heating but all the ashp i have come across humm to blumin loud.A big problem in the uk is that new home's are packed in on new site's,i think the guy from next next door will be out with his baseball bat when his kids can't get to sleep at 10'o clock lol.The goverment has only made thing worse with mcs green deal ect it has put the overall cost of renewables through the roof ie big registration fees for us.:13:

Also by offering these incentives (RHI etc) the majority just look at it as an income rather than a long term viable heating solution. A lot are looking at the bottom line figures rather than the best solution for their home. I was all ready to go MCS, I have the QMS in place, i'm a member of REAL and all I had to do was cough up the money and get inspected, but until the attitude of the industry and public changes, i decided to keep the money in the bank.

Solar P.V is a prime example (also been involved in this) as soon as they cut the tariffs the bottom dropped out the market, it's still a very viable solution but the 'return' isn't so generous so people aren't interested. The take up is so slow now the rates are static. People who are buying, are buying for the right reasons though which is good, just not many people buying!

Have you noticed all the solar panel companies now becoming heating experts overnight, biomass, heat pumps. Joe bloggs solar now becoming joe bloggs renewables or whatever, makes me laugh, just jumping on the next gravy train.

Last edited:
We were working next to place where they had several local pv firms into quote. In the end they were rushed with all sorts of deadlines special only till 6.00pm deals This whole thing reminds me of the feeding frenzy that was double glazing and all the others that followed. Watch this space as eventually the tarrif is agreed for the latest round of new nuclear build. It will make air source heat pumps made out of albino unicorns look good value

There is too much money tied up in the national gas infrastructure for them not to find something else to poke down to the pipe to consumers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to 2016. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Fitted unvented hotwater cylinder building control looking forms signed it off job was in england i am qualified northern ireland send out a form to fill in what do u need to sign off in england as building control said they dont give out forms like they do in northern ireland
Replies
Views
Our kitchen mixer tap has started dripping. Like so much of the plumbing in our almost new build bungalow, it is lacking! The plumber didn't install any isolating cocks in the H&C feed to the tap so how can I identify which of the valves is passing? Shut the whole H&C water system down?
Replies
Views
Recently had a Viessmann Vitodens combi boiler installed, quite often when the adjacent cold mixer tap is opened the boiler starts for a few seconds! Can anyone tell me what is causing this? And how to cure?
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
My son has an apprenticeship interview for to become a plumber and heating engineer. The have said there will be a multiple choice exam for this for suitability. The thing is my son panics during tests/exams. Is there any book I can buy him to practice the multiple choice test for the exam? What...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock