Search the forum,

Discuss 2 questions. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

finchy01

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
1) And I'm embarrassed to ask this but, what's the simpletons way of defining pressure and flow rate. Because I have a job with poor flow rate which gets a lot worse when 2 or more outlets opened but 3bar (it's an unvented system so I was surprised at the poor flow rate)

2) I'm getting 16ltrs which reduces to 12 when I go through the water softner. How can I increase this.

A its unvented even at 16ltrs that's not enough. My thought was stick in a cold water boost set with break tank but wondered if you guys had a better idea. Monies are no object but I don't want to charge the client for this when there might be a far simpler and lower cost option for them.

Thanks as always.

You need to be checking the pressure and flow rate before the softner first. If this is good, then the water softner is the culprit. If not, they may have a small water main.
You can get high flow water softners. Some softners have inlet and outlet hoses they are very restrictive. They can have filters in the hose connections, or inside the softner head.
If the softner Is ok then it's onto the pressurised cylinder. There are a few things on this that can cause your problem. But to work on them you need to be G3 registered and qualified. If you are, private message one of the moderators and we can tell you the associated problems.

If you find the water main is poor, a pump and break tank fitted AFTER the softner is the solution.
I have a very simple bit of kit to check water flow/ pressure. It's a bit of 15mm hep2o pipe with a tee, this has a pressure gauge on it. After that, is a lever valve and a couple more feet of pipe. I connect one end to the best water source available. Close the lever tap, turn the water on and measure static pressure ( how much the water main has with no flow). Then turn the lever valve on and fill a bucket. Look at the gauge and record the pressure and then time how long it takes to fill. This will give you dynamic pressure ( working pressure) and how many litres a min the system can give.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for reply. I am g3 but the issue starts before Combi valve on kitchen cold so I've discounted that as a problem. It's 16ltrs bypassing softner, 12ltrs with softner in line. I was thinking cold water boost up in loft (after softner as you also mentioned) but as I say, was looking for any other alternatives as upsizing mains isn't feasible as it's down the end of a VERY long track.

Thanks for reply. I am g3 but the issue starts before Combi valve on kitchen cold so I've discounted that as a problem. It's 16ltrs bypassing softner, 12ltrs with softner in line. I was thinking cold water boost up in loft (after softner as you also mentioned) but as I say, was looking for any other alternatives as upsizing mains isn't feasible as it's down the end of a VERY long track.

your supposed to have at least 20-25lpm on your mains for an unvented system, so if you havent you shouldnt have installed one without sorting the pressure and flow

two options

ask your water supply what flow and pressures are in your area and maybe upgrade your incoming water mains to 25-32mm alk

or break tank and pump

Thanks guys. I thought I'd have been a wash with suggestions on this one but seems my initial thought of boost set is best option.

Shaun, I didn't install this. I've just been called in to sort this amongst other problems. Upgrading water mains isn't an option I don't think as like I said, it's a long run from external stop tap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to 2 questions. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello, I have a tank Bradford White 50 gallon gas hot water heater for a 1700 sq ft home with 2 1/2 baths, HOWEVER, I am only one person living there. It was installed in March of 2015 so it is 8 years old. I believe life expectancy for a typical hot water heater is around 10 - 12 years so I...
Replies
Views
Hi Could I ask for some help with a water flow rate problem. I have good mains water pressure on the ground floor. There is no tank in the loft but an unvented cylinder in the upstairs airing cupboard. A gas heat only boiler. Upstairs I have two en suite rooms. One with a shower and one with...
Replies
Views
Good morning I installed a Harvey’s water softener recently. Have a semi detached property with 3 showers and a 2 toilets with a mega flow cylinder 25mm mains pipe work with 22mm onwards. I put the softener before the prv which was pre installed with the unvented cylinder as the rep said...
Replies
Views
I have a CH circuit on a 2 way zone valve. It’s a long circuit with 15 rads on it but rather than shutting down the last 5 rads in the circuit when not in use which is 90% of the time, can I put a 3 zone valve on the flow after the tenth rad and divert to a new T piece on the return to...
Replies
Views
We have a gravity fed hot water system in our the house we have just recently moved into. It works fine with the downstairs shower, however we are about to upgrade the upstairs bathroom and are considering installing a shower bath. My concern is that although there is more than sufficient...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock