Search the forum,

Discuss 1st Boiler you fitted in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Rob Foster

Esteemed
We must all remember our 1st fit. Mine was a ELM Le Blanc 4.20, 2nd was a 3.? Le Blanc with only french instructions and we connected the mains water up to the gas feed - spreads asked why water was wizzing out pipe thro wall ! 4.20 was a combi with no diverter valve - 2 circuits around heater, dhw and Chw

Last edited:
Main multi point and a Worcester boiler

Ideal Concord W RS, one of the first cast iron, wall hung, Room Sealed natural draft balanced flue boilers.
You had to have mussels to lift them on the wall on your own.

It was still going strong nearly 30 years later when house was modernised.

Last edited:
Went back to the first GLOW WORM i fitted last week- open vented system- at the time PF and new rads except one. Trouble was F+E had a thing!? growing on top like a squid about 1/2" thick - an orangey brown, thick enough to pick up and then it ripped and slipped back into the deep dark depths! Never seen that before has anyone else?

IMG_20180815_095359131.jpg

When I started ANYBODY could fit gas , then corgi came in and eventually was made essential and we all had to pass tests, then ACOPs, then ACTS, it goes oooooooooooooooon and on a licence to print money INMHO

Maybe - he did add some rads after I'd been there, and I told him about if he drains down etc... You thinking it's globbed inhibitor in f+e?

Hello Ted808,

It was probably because the F&E Tank did NOT have any Corrosion Inhibitor poured in after filling the Heating system that the `Bacterial slime` built up on top of the water.

When Inhibitor is put into an Open Vented Heating system a small amount is supposed to be poured into the F&E Tank after the system is full up to prevent the build up of Bacteria / `Slime` in the Tank.

That used to be printed on Fernox and Sentinel Corrosion Inhibitor containers - I have not needed to read any of them for about the last 40 Years.

However - as we know a newly filled Heating system will need venting for at least another couple of days and dependant on the size of the system and how much Air has to be released / water filled from the F&E Tank during that period that small amount of Inhibitor can be diluted enough to make it ineffective / not able to prevent Bacterial / `Slime` build up.

So ideally the small amount of Inhibitor should be added to the F&E Tank after ALL of the Air has been vented from the system which will probably not be by the Heating Engineer / Installer so not practical.

There will be some evaporation of water from the F&E Tank which over a period of time will also cause the dilution of the Inhibitor in the Tank and cause it to not be able to prevent Bacterial build up.

In my opinion Heating systems with F&E Tanks should have Corrosion Inhibitor added to the Tank at least every 5 years - better still - have the system drained, refilled and chemically cleaned and then drained and refilled with new Corrosion Inhibitor about every 5 years.

Having a Heating system that was filled and Corrosion Inhibitor added 10 - 15 or 20 years ago and expecting the Inhibitor to still be protecting the system after all that time is a `false expectation`.

Something else regarding the dosage of systems that is often misunderstood / not fully explained by the Corrosion Inhibitor manufacturers is the `treats up to 10 Radiators` / 100 Litres system capacity specification - they mean 10 x SINGLE PANEL Radiators.

So if we do not want to actually calculate the water capacity of each system I would always recommend 2 x Containers of Corrosion Inhibitor for the `average` House or Flat with 10 or 12 Radiators.

What You have encountered regarding your description of `being able to pick it up ` ! is quite extreme in my experience - although not unheard of.

Regards,

Chris

Last edited:
Servowarm 40 masterrad with anodised steel pipe work and a Grecian Urn F&E fitted in one of the bedrooms!
Wow my dad had one of these when I was about 10 in 1968 - it was ace and you filled it up with a milk bottle in airing cupboard - thank you

MAXOL G.jpg
Talking of old boilers did anyone fit one of these ? (MAXOL micro turbo 502)
I couldn't believe it when I came across this little beaut under a kitchen worktop & still working!!

First boiler was a solid fuel BB on council house upgrade (Worked for local council) tenants had a choice of solid fuel or gas, on the ruff parts of the estates they always had the Solid fuel one, so they could burn anything, usely floor boards from under stairs or beds were the first to go followed by doors or wooden fencing.

Glass fronted solid fuel boiler was the first full heating job I worked on from start to finish when I was aged 13 on school summer holidays.
Way back during the war.
Strangely I still remember some of the work and the customer.

Reply to 1st Boiler you fitted in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock