Search the forum,

Discuss 162mm core drill Advice please in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

hi all need some advice on drilling a big hole :)

Need to fit a pipe for extractor in kitchen and the OD is 156mm. This is only a one time job so not looking to buy any expensive kit this time around.

Any ideas what coredrill to use?

I hired a makita 8406 last week and bought the 162 core drill from toolststion. When I got it home and attached the core drill the thing would slip like silly just offering it up to the wall. Pilot hole pre drilled. Not sure if the drill was broken as I could grab the arbour with my hand and make the clutch slip. Took it back to hire shop and got my money back. The drill is only rated to 150mm but thought going really slow would not be that bad.

It seems really difficult to hire a 162mm bit. I had to buy mine but don’t have a drill to use it with.

For the price of a hilti I could buy a crappy Titan sds and use that with the core bit I’ve now bought. I’ve read on the forums mixed stories of using cheap powerful sds drills with big cores.

What do you think?

depends if you just want to use it once most hire shops i know use hilti so just hire one from there

as for the drill you had sounds broken as the clutch was coming on too soon / no load

Does the hire shop have another? The 8406 should be up to the job if you're careful but as suggested it sounds like clutch was already goosed. Just remember once you have a start with the core drill to remove the pilot drill.

You might wish to make a guide for to stop the core bit slipping on the wall by just drilling 4 pieces of timber onto the wall to make a square the same size as diameter of core.
Or cut a 162mm hole in a piece of plywood and screw it to wall on a couple points, if you can be bothered.
You won’t need your pilot drill to start drilling then

What are you going through? Use core to go in 1/2 inch, then stitch drill with whatever you have - should be able to keep it neat enough for grill to cover.

Reply to 162mm core drill Advice please in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi guys, was wondering if someone could give me some advice. I’m looking at buying a Milwaukee sds which will be for general use such as drilling a variety of size holes and also for some core drilling from time to time in thermalite and also solid brick. I would like the drill only mode on the...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone I’m looking at buying a core drill. Any recommendations please or ones to avoid would be very much appreciated. Thinking of Makita or Millwaukee in 110v any thoughts much appreciated.
Replies
Views
Hi all, I need to buy a core drill set (4inch, inch1/2, inch1/4) to use with my SDS drill. What sets would you recommend? I'm after something reasonably good - probably diamond tipped. But reasonably priced. Thanks everyone, Jennie
Replies
Views
We have gutted the bathroom back to bare brick. But to find a good quality toilet and bath is a nightmare. I think I have sorted it and then someone says that's not the right type etc. For a 1700 x 700 or 750 bath I was going to either buy Carron, Twyford or Duravit. I want a strong one that...
Replies
Views
A number of issues have been raised from a boiler replacement. Boiler not operating and with no pressure. Tile damage Sprawling pipe layout in kitchen (Retrospective view of alternate option when it was found that promise of removing pipes from airing cupboard could not be fulfilled). Battery...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock