Search the forum,

Discuss 15mm pipe run from central heating manifold query in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi Guys

Im aware the say you should keep 15mm runs supplying radiators to 12 metres. However if running one rad from a manifold, how much can I get away with?

Im not holding a gun to your head. One of my runs has to be just over 13 meters.

Thanks in advance.

Donkey.

22mm as far as you can

I’m guessing it’s plastic then ?

I’m guessing it’s plastic then ?
Yes Hep2 15mm barrier. Im trying to keep the manifolds away from the bedrooms. Hence the longer runs from the manifold to some of the rads. I have heard you get a click and woosh when they switch on. From the boiler to the manifold I can use 22 or 28 mm, thats not the issue at the moment. The pump will be by the boiler.

13M x 2 = 26M total, if you are happy with rad dT of 15C then flowrate required = 3.4LPM., head loss through 15mm piping ~ 1m, rad valves+radloss say another 0.8M, total of 1.8m say 2m loss, if 22mm pipe then piping loss ~ 0.1M, + radvalves&radloss of 0.8M = 0.9m say 1.0m total loss. theoretically may get away with it with a bit of rad balancing, others will soon inform.
water velocity through 15mm piping at 3.4LPM ~ 0.55m/sec?.

13M x 2 = 26M total, if you are happy with rad dT of 15C then flowrate required = 3.4LPM., head loss through 15mm piping ~ 1m, rad valves+radloss say another 0.8M, total of 1.8m say 2m loss, if 22mm pipe then piping loss ~ 0.1M, + radvalves&radloss of 0.8M = 0.9m say 1.0m total loss. theoretically may get away with it with a bit of rad balancing, others will soon inform.

If you are happy with 2681 watts, 75% of rad rated output which you will get with a boiler temp of 70C, rad dT 20C, then better again because of lower flow rate required of 1.92LPM.

Did you account for it being plastic and an internal dia of 12mm ?

15mm Hep2 internal dia is 11.3 mm; copper is say 13.6. The area for 11.3 is 100 mm square, 12.5 is 145mm square. Emmiti recommend a max run of 10 meters (20 metre out and back) before you take a noticable reduction in radiator output.

16mm MLCP internat diameter is 12 mm.

In addition (info supplied by Wavin)
Hep2 barrier 22mm internal dia 17.7mm
Hep2 barrier 28mm internal diameter is 22.5mm

Last edited:
12.5 gives 123 not 145; anyway you seem to really want to do it in 15mm so go ahead.
🙂
Ah sorry Ben I meant 13.6 internal diameter for copper 15mm giving 145 mm sq.

If I plan it correctly, I can use 15 mm. Im trying to make the instal as cost effective as possible. If I start using 22mm Hep2 the cost goes up quite alot, and the reels are smaller and the waste goes up. I dont want any joints in the run other than at the source and destination. I can get 100 metre reels of 15mm.

All the rooms have to be able to control their respective rads, they have thermostats in every room.

The house is 3500 square foot on 3 levels.

20mm mlcp cheap enough

Reply to 15mm pipe run from central heating manifold query in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock