Search the forum,

Discuss 110mm Core drill recommendations in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phil

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
I have a couple of jobs coming up which will require a 110mm hole for soil pipe cutting. I just cant make up my mind on whether to hire, buy a cheap cutter and use it in my Hammer drill (no clutch :mad:) or shell out god knows how much on a decent cutter and machine.

I've already bought two powertools in the last two weeks so maybe I should wait, but then again these holes aren't going the drill themselves and hiring is such false economy. :(

Whatever I get it won't be used every day maybe 4 or 5 110mm's a year but if I do get a machine I will use it for 40mm wastes etc.

Cant make up my mind. :confused:

send a pm to *********, he is the qualified man to answer that one.

May aswell get one, last you a life time, never know when you might just need one in a hurry to finish a job and the local hire place hasnt any in or has been burgled.

Thanks for the replys.

If you got a half decent 110mm cutter say ÂŁ70 /ÂŁ90 or whatever they are, how long before they go blunt?

Will my 850W Bosch hammer be enough power to drill 110mm??

if you use a hammer with core drilling you will bugger the bit and break the ends rotary only for core drilling

and knacker your drill, you need a drill with a clutch!
Quite apart from knackering your drill, it will break your arm quite possibly if and (when) the core bit jams in the wall.

My advice is buy a cheap SDS drill with a clutch or a used core drill.. Will save you a lot of armache...

Thanks for the replys.

If you got a half decent 110mm cutter say ÂŁ70 /ÂŁ90 or whatever they are, how long before they go blunt?

Will my 850W Bosch hammer be enough power to drill 110mm??

It might well kill your drill. One of the big hefty 1500 watt SDS breakers off ebay for ÂŁ30 does it though as Ive used one for a couple :D . Not on hammer mode of course.

Oh, and they get VERY heavy with the time it takes to drill a core through a hard wall, so I would advise a proper core drill!! a good book, and a seat

Last edited:
Yeah difinitely need an sds I did one a few weeks back and it still took a couple of hours.

I can highly recomend the macrist core drill ddm2.DDM2 Hand Held Drill | Marcrist. I bought mine from a macrist rep who visited a hps branch in dover for about ÂŁ160 when it was still a prototype. Beieve me once you've tried this baby you will never use another core drill again. If you google marcrist ddm2 and click on shopping you can find it for about ÂŁ250. worth every penny! Also it is a very fast machine.

Last edited by a moderator:
We do the 110mm diamond core drill or holesaws for drilling holes into:

Tiles - Granite - Porcelain - Glass - Ceramics - Travertine - Pottery - Marble

http://www.*********.com/google/110mm.jpg

It will drill holes down to the depth of a stanard 30mm thick granite kitchen worktop.

http://www.*********.com/bigholes/smaller/Dsc08134.jpg

To stop the diamond drill from slipping just cut out a bit of plasterboard.

Stand on it.
http://www.*********.com/bigholes/smaller/Dsc08132.jpg

Once you push through the plasterboard then start drilling holes into your tiles.

dont bother buying the rothenberger core set mine has lasted less than 12 months and cost ÂŁ140 my first core set cost ÂŁ60 and lasted 5 years

how good are the marcrist ones - ive heard a couple of people say theyre great ?

marcrist or milwaukee???

i also dont do that many cores and used to hire every time. On the last job i bought a sparky BUR2 350E (ÂŁ120) from machine mart or screwfix and a cheap core set from the electrical wholesaler TCL (ÂŁ50).

while on the subject how much faster and how much longer to expensive cores last than cheep ones (i now only but good qual drill bits since they are much faster and last much longer)?

sds drills dont go fast enough to do a decent job and you tend to burn them out quickly. the marcrist is a good drill and worth the money you have to pay. Ibought a sparky recently which was supposed to be a core drill but it has already burnt out one clutch. Back to marcrist again once it gives up.

sds drills dont go fast enough to do a decent job and you tend to burn them out quickly. the marcrist is a good drill and worth the money you have to pay. Ibought a sparky recently which was supposed to be a core drill but it has already burnt out one clutch. Back to marcrist again once it gives up.

I do find that the clutch sliops quite easlily on the sparky, easy on the arms but hard on the clutch so I can well understand that.

You need a large clutch breaker type drill. A 110mm core will knacker a regular SDS drill and burn out the clutch.

The Marcrist ones are pretty good as are the Norton ones. Avoid "market stall" ones.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to 110mm Core drill recommendations in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock