Search the forum,

Discuss 1 radiator not getting as hot as the others in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

i live in a 3 bed small terraced house. we have 3 radiators upstairs and 2 down stairs. they all get to the same temp apart from the one in the lounge.all radiators are hot [ i have bled all several times] , the one in question is i think farthest from central heating pump [which is upstairs in airing cupboard ] the boiler [a glow worm flexicom ] is downstairs in kitchen. boiler has been serviced regularly and i have cleaned the magna filter.all radiators get hot to the top. can anyone help ?

i live in a 3 bed small terraced house. we have 3 radiators upstairs and 2 down stairs. they all get to the same temp apart from the one in the lounge.all radiators are hot [ i have bled all several times] , the one in question is i think farthest from central heating pump [which is upstairs in airing cupboard ] the boiler [a glow worm flexicom ] is downstairs in kitchen. boiler has been serviced regularly and i have cleaned the magna filter.all radiators get hot to the top. can anyone help ?

May we assume that the radiators have thermostatic valves (TRVs) on them?

If so, as an experiment, turn down the TRVs on the radiators on the top floor and see if the lounge one starts working correctly.

When you cleaned the magnetic filter, how much sludge came out?

Was the system working fine before the summer, i.e. this has only been a problem since you started using the heating this season?

Last edited:
May we assume that the radiators have thermostatic valves (TRVs) on them?

If so, as an experiment, turn down the TRVs on the radiators on the top floor and see if the lounge one starts working correctly.

When you cleaned the magnetc filter, how much sludge came out?

Was the system working fine before the summer, i.e. this has only been a problem since you started using the heating this season?
just standard on/ off type valves fitted. all radiators are about 35/40 years old. the magna was quite full . after i flushed system and put inhibitor in.there is about 10deg difference in temp. the hallway rad is ok.to be honest the wife has complained about the rad for a couple of years !!

just standard on/ off type valves fitted. all radiators are about 35/40 years old. the magna was quite full . after i flushed system and put inhibitor in.there is about 10deg difference in temp. the hallway rad is ok.to be honest the wife has complained about the rad for a couple of years !!
to be fair all radiators work except 1 [slightly lower temp ]

to be honest the wife has complained about the rad for a couple of years !!

Okay, no real need to worry yet, but when she starts staring at the cold radiator for long periods and not saying anything to you it's time to get an engineer in.

If your filter contained a lot of sludge, my guess is that there's also sludge in the pipework and/or your lounge radiator that needs flushing out. You might be able to prove a partially blocked pipe with a strong magnet.

If shutting a couple of ther other radiators causes the lounge one to come up to temperature your pump may be failing but I'd want to rule out 'sludge' first.

If you want to try DIY, Fernox F3 is safe and effective (read the instructions). It won't be as effective as getting an independent local heating engineer to check the system and power flush if necessary.

Check the naughty radiator out, does it get hotter at the top ? And remain cool along the bottom ..when all,the the rest of your system is going well , let us know please Rob Foster aka centralheatking

Check the naughty radiator out, does it get hotter at the top ? And remain cool along the bottom ..when all,the the rest of your system is going well , let us know please Rob Foster aka centralheatking
the radiator in question is cooler at the bottom, as suggested before i turned off the upstairs rads and the radiator got hotter. hope this can shed some light

I would say this radiator is sludged up, despite any filter you have installed. Turn off both ends , undo tak it outside and flush it through and see what happens, cheaper than a new pump. Rob Foster aka centralheatking

When you take it off, watch out for dirty water on carpet, if your quick, make sure the bleed is closed flip the rad upside down to carry out Centralheatking
should have read your message first !! water on carpet !! anyway, flushed the rad out twice with garden hose fair bit of black water. re fitted but found no real improvement. i replaced the rad valves [manual ones ]

should have read your message first !! water on carpet !! anyway, flushed the rad out twice with garden hose fair bit of black water. re fitted but found no real improvement. i replaced the rad valves [manual ones ]
i found the copper pipe to the rad valve [inlet i would think ]was hot but the exit or other side was just warm

Try re balancing the system next, close off the other rads and see if the naughty one gets hot, then open the others little by little and spread the heat out. I understand that gas leak detection spray is good for getting the black sludge out of the carpet, who found that out I don’t know Rob Foster centralheatking

Try re balancing the system next, close off the other rads and see if the naughty one gets hot, then open the others little by little and spread the heat out. I understand that gas leak detection spray is good for getting the black sludge out of the carpet, who found that out I don’t know Rob Foster centralheatking
ok, thanks

Reply to 1 radiator not getting as hot as the others in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock