Search the forum,

Discuss 1.5inch female connector. Pipe broken off inside. Any way to connect another pipe? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

NeilFawcett

So we have a 1.5" female connector, and the pipe going into it has snapped off, leaving itself glued flush in there. The pipe is for an exterior pipe leading down (at about 45 degree) into a drain. So can anyone think of a way to connect a fresh pipe onto it?

It's basically as per this image - http://images.discountleisureproducts.co.uk/images/products/zoom/1350554885-27644900.jpg (but the hold pipe has snapped off perfectly leaving no way to slide in a replacement.

The diameter of the female part is approx 49mm and I need to attach a pipe - ideally another 1.5" pipe to it.

There is no room to saw it as this is a 90 degree elbox connected straight onto a pipe coming through the wall. So no room to play with, and the pipe coming inside is hard to access.

Surely there's someway to connect a 1.5" female to another 1.5" female? eg: Wrap something around that glues/braces them togethor? Just need a solid 1.5"/49mm ring that will go over both females parts and glue/stick/weld them togethor?

At the moment I've got it sitting in a 50mm pipe which leads down into the drain to get the water from a->b. And even that is OK as the water is flowing down. Worse case I'll just try and make something out of that, and have have that 50mm pipe carry the water from the 1.5" female outlet down to the drain, and silicon seal around the small gap when the 1.5" female sits inside the 50mm pile.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: 1.5inch female connector. Pipe broken off inside. Any way to connect another pipe

With regard to the inch and half plastic fitting,
1) Cut the pipe flush to the fitting so there is a stub of pipe left glued into the fitting.
2) Usinga hacksaw blade cut lengthways inside the stub so you cut all the way through the pipe without cutting into the fitting. Do this in 2 places to make life easier.
3) Wedge a flathead or a small woodchisel between the stub of pipe and the fitting and the pipe will come away from the fitting. Take care not to break the fitting whilst doing this.

Is this clear?

There is also a method using fire, but we will not go down that path.

Re: 1.5inch female connector. Pipe broken off inside. Any way to connect another pipe

wouldnt be able to do that if I'd made the joint, after all the glue is supposed to weld the plastics together. if it has snapped, the plastic is probably suffering fm uv damage and needs replacing, start again fm inside to get a decent result

The pipe has broken off perfectly inside the female socket. There is nothing sticking out at all.

So you have a perfect ring of 1.5" pipe inside the female connector, glued in there.

Are you then suggesting cutting through that glued in ring/pipe, without damaging the outer female? Even though it's completely glued/welded in?

he was

I'd be worried about cutting throught the female ring?!!? And even if I do perfectly cut to 'channels', the plastic inner pipe is surely glued around the whole join?

it should be, suggest post 3 your only option

Thing is, if I mash up that exising female joint, that's it - It will be one hell of a job to fix it - We're talking about loads of plumbing now inside the house on the other side of the wall to get to that pipe, cut it free, and put in a new pipe. The inner pipe is grey, the outer pipe is grey, how do I know where to stop when cutting?

As I said, worse case, I'd be happy to place a 50mm pipe around that joint, and silicon seal it on. That's what's on there at the moment as a temporary fix and even without any attention all the water is flowing down from the 1.5" pipe into the 50mm and into the drain.

If the choice is doing that, or damaging that one 90 degree piece on the exterior wall and moving the problem inside the house to that length of pipe, and then probably requiring a plumber for 4-8hrs, I'll try the simpler/safer option at about a 30 degree angle...

A 50mm is soooo close to being the right diameter for a snug fit around thet female 1.5" connector! Just a tiny gromit or something would make it perfect!

And remember this pipe, is leading down at about 30 degrees into an open drain etc. So it doesn't have to be 100% water tight etc. Just needs to get water down from the female 1.5" connector, down 70cm to the drain.

If I can get a (male) 50mm -> 1.5" female adapter, I would hope I could sit the 50mm part of it entire on/around the female 1.5" connector in question... resulting in a 1.5" pipe going down just as before! The 50mm join around the 1.5" female bit (which is 49mm in diameter) I'll then silicon seal into place too! eg: This - http://www.spafixdirect.co.uk/product/1.5-inch-50mm-adaptor

why ask?

Can you not somehow get a 2 inch pipe to secure over the top of it?

Now a decent plumber would be able to knock you up a piece of 40mm uPVC pipe which they would have warmed up over there touch to soften & carefully pushed inside another piece of pipe to make an adaptor/reducer which you could glue into that fitting / pipe stuck in the wall, yes it would reduce the bore for a short section but it would be a S/W joint not a pushed over fitting with a bit of silicone.
Get to know the materials you work with & what can be done with it ! :arabia:

Last edited:

Well, as the old 1.5" pipe has totally broken off, I've currently got a 50mm diameter pipe sitting over the top of the female 1.5" pipe. This all points down at about 30 degrees and goes into an open drain about 70cm away.

Even just like this, with no attempt to seal, all the water goes down the 50mm pipe. So I would hope if I can get a 50mm to 1.5" adapter I could silicon seal this on/over the 1.5" female "stub" and thus form a perfectly effective (& not untidy) replacement down pipe just as it was before!?

Now, while buying my 70cm of 50mm pipe, I was talking to the guy at the hardware store, and he recommended I go to our local garden centre where they have a pond section. He said they have all manner of strange adapters due to odd pumps/pipes. So I may even find some sort of rubber adapter I can jubilee clib (paint it all white) over the top of the 1.5" female stub etc to give me a 1.5" pipe again. Or at least a olatic 50mm->1.5" adapter which I can silicon seal on.

I just don't think I can risk trying to get the remains of that 1.5" pipe out of the female socket. I think an adapter, and fresh pipe is the best way to go...

Now a decent plumber would be able to knock you up a piece of 40mm uPVC pipe which they would have warmed up over there touch to soften & carefully pushed inside another piece of pipe to make an adaptor/reducer which you could glue into that fitting / pipe stuck in the wall, yes it would reduce the bore for a short section but it would be a S/W joint not a pushed over fitting with a bit of silicone.
Get to know the materials you work with & what can be done with it ! :arabia:

That's basically what I think I'm heading towards, but the other way around :) With a 50mm pipe around the approx 49mm diameter female remains... Even unsealed with water flows down it from the 1.5" fine. So I just need to find the best adapter or means to (a) attach a 50mm pipe around the 1.5" female stub, and convert it back to a 1.5" pipe again.

omho but a botch is a botch which ever way you do it.

What about a fernco coupling ...regards turnpin:)

omho but a botch is a botch which ever way you do it.

Maybe... But if it works 100%... Looks 100%... And saves me ÂŁ100 (or so)... I'm fine with it...

If I can find a nice adapter (eg: 50mm->1.5" adapter) then I suspect I could just take a couple of inches off the old pipe that's broken off, attach it to to the adapter and voila. Done...

What about a fernco coupling ...regards turnpin:)

You star! That's the sort of thing! I'm hoping that's the sort of thing my garden center stocks (as they do ponds etc).

If I can find one to simply go over the outside of the female 1.5" and then onto regular 1.5" - Perfect! eg: I recon 49mm down to 43mm

Good news is, I found this on the Fernco site - http://www.fernco.com/dimensional-d...le-couplings/stock-couplings-1056/1056-150125

Spec:-
Dimension A minimum - millimeters: 44mm
Dimension A maximum - millimeters: 50mm
Dimension B minimum - millimeters: 34mm
Dimension B maximum - millimeters: 43mm

So that implies a pipe of total diameter 49 should fit in A, and a pipe of total diameter 43 should fit in B nicely!

Just paint it white and done!

Now using a Fernco in this instants really would be a bodge job (rubber & a jubilee clip) "do I spy the Indians coming though the pass fetch ma horse" I am out of here.!! :cowboy:

Bodge it? Yar Hoo:cowboy:

Last edited:

Now using a Fernco in this instants really would be a bodge job (rubber & a jubilee clip) "do I spy the Indians coming though the pass fetch ma horse" I am out of here.!! :cowboy:

Why?

This is an exterior 70cm pipe leading to an open drain? If once it's attached and painted it's basically unnoticeable and undetectable, what's the problem?

More over, if it means not having to rip loads of piping out from inside the house (& I mean loads), from behind kitchen cupboards that are completely in the way, risking introducing even more hassle and work?

But if your wisdom dictates I should personally mess around for a day, or dish out ÂŁ100+, to end up with nothing more than 'piece of mind', fair enough.

I bet, when an 'adapter' is fitted and painted, no one will ever notice...

Why?

This is an exterior 70cm pipe leading to an open drain? If once it's attached and painted it's basically unnoticeable and undetectable, what's the problem?

More over, if it means not having to rip loads of piping out from inside the house (& I mean loads), from behind kitchen cupboards that are completely in the way, risking introducing even more hassle and work?

But if your wisdom dictates I should personally mess around for a day, or dish out ÂŁ100+, to end up with nothing more than 'piece of mind', fair enough.

We have already done that bit Neil & I don't disagree with you on going inside but where my own professional standards as a plumber kick in, is the use of a bit of rubber & a jubilee clip to repair a pipe (painted or not). There are now lots of people out there who think like you & not me but I hope by maintaining good standards & correct use of materials I can separate myself for them so that customers will appreciate the difference.

We have already done that bit Neil & I don't disagree with you on going inside but where my own professional standards as a plumber kick in, is the use of a bit of rubber & a jubilee clip to repair a pipe (painted or not). There are now lots of people out there who think like you & not me but I hope by maintaining good standards & correct use of materials I can separate myself for them so that customers will appreciate the difference.

That's fair enough - But I can tell you the pipe coming through the wall is immediately glued/welded into another joint/pipe (inside), which in turn is glued/welded to others, and all this is behind kitchen units. As such access is difficult, so an easy job turns into a difficult job (for me at least) :(

So I can either attempt to risk (I use the work risk, as I'm not a plumber) doing the 'platinum' repair and undoubtedly spend hours and hours doing it. Or I can employ a plumber, which will most likely cost nigh on ÂŁ100+ I suspect.

The alternative is to construct a simple (water tight) neat and tidy join between the existing 1.5" joint and the down pipe, which works 100%. If this can be achieved easily and aesthetically, in just a few minutes, with no risk, then I'm happy. :)

Why?

But WE all know, and that's what's important!

Plumb Centre or Pipe Centre do rubber connectors with 2 jubilee clips suitable for low /med pressure IF there is enough sticking out of the wall. Still looks horrid but a 5min job.

Seems like I`m 5mins too late with last post

Plumb Centre or Pipe Centre do rubber connectors with 2 jubilee clips suitable for low /med pressure IF there is enough sticking out of the wall. Still looks horrid but a 5min job.

Just got a 1.5" to 1.5" rubber connector from local garden center. This actually holds the female end and the male end togethor and obviously forms a water right seal around each. There's no standing water involved, only lower pressure passing water so I doubt it will leak.

So was a 1min job to fit :)

As long as it holds (can't imagine it won't), I'll simply paint white and doubt you'll even notice it against the white pipe its connected onto, and the white brickwork an inch behind it :) (Note: The jubilee screws are around the back so out of site etc)

Fingers crossed!

I'm a bit late with this but a smallish sanding drum in a cordless drill or if you're very careful a hole saw would get the pipe out of the middle. You could then glue a new bit in using a gap filling cement. Proper job then with no bodging. Doesn't help the OP but it may help someone else.

I'm a bit late with this but a smallish sanding drum in a cordless drill or if you're very careful a hole saw would get the pipe out of the middle. You could then glue a new bit in using a gap filling cement. Proper job then with no bodging. Doesn't help the OP but it may help someone else.

All good options, but I'd just be terrified of rendering the female->female 90degree bend useful. And if that happens, as it's glued onto the tiny pipe coming through the wall, it would then take the repair inside the house where the piping is hard to access and complex.

I've taken the low risk (& luckily cheap and easy) approach - At least for the time being. Good thing is, I can undo it with a screwdriver should it ever want to be done 'properly' :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to 1.5inch female connector. Pipe broken off inside. Any way to connect another pipe? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock