Search the forum,

Discuss Zoning education. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great idea, just not cost effective unless new build.

Me no understand Leo please explain????:thinking:

Cost of new install in existing house : circa £4000

cost of new instal in existing house (zoned) : circa £4600

customer " I'll take option one please"

Cost of new install in existing house : circa £4000

cost of new instal in existing house (zoned) : circa £4600

customer " I'll take option one please"

Try this for size Leo, gas saved in first year £600, your move!!!

Your having a laugh, gas saved first year £80 max. Third year synchron motor fails. Costs £95 to repair. Your move. Oh and my combined gas and lecky bil isl £1200 with a standard efficiency boiler. So how your going to save £600 is beyond me.

Your having a laugh, gas saved first year £80 max. Third year synchron motor fails. Costs £95 to repair. Your move. Oh and my combined gas and lecky bil isl £1200 with a standard efficiency boiler. So how your going to save £600 is beyond me.

Leo,

Does your mam pay the gas bill at your house, I live under a stone and it cost me more than £600 a year for gas

Zoning is pointless in yer average 2 up 2 down.

dancin,

It all relative, and someone who as a 2 up 2 is probably on relative earnings and I say probably having started my married life in one, I had no money then, the answer
to all this is simple zoning ain't going up in price the rate gas is.

Please explain the estimated savings happy flyer, how have you come to this figure?

Please explain the estimated savings happy flyer, how have you come to this figure?

Nostrum,

It was a mere statement not and estimate, how could I estimate it when I don't know what the said gas bill was anyway, I just know that full house zoning saves money,
time and temperature control of every room in the house is the future, maybe you can't see it just yet, but you will. When I was a lad car did 25 mpg at best and petrol was 20 p gallon,
am I painting the right picture, cars do 60 MPG and petrol £6.00 gallon.

I must be the only person on this forum who believes that full house zoning saves money and is a good investment or you are all winding me up!!!

Not really, but I base my opinions on fact not a figure plucked out of the sky.

£600 equates to over 13,000 kwh's of gas at 4.5p/kwh. Based on Ofgems estimations, the average house uses between 16,000-20,000 kwh annually for space heating AND hot water, I find your estimation a touch on the optimistic side?

£600 equates to over 13,000 kwh's of gas at 4.5p/kwh. Based on Ofgems estimations, the average house uses between 16,000-20,000 kwh annually for space heating AND hot water, I find your estimation a touch on the optimistic side?

Bloody hell Nostrum, who knew!

I recollect that one chap last week said his gas usage was 42,000 kwh, plucked out the sky yes but conceivable in London, mind you this is not what me and you are talking about, we are talking about Mr & Mrs Average 3 bed, look at it this way and see if this helps. Cost of 8 zone valves fitted lets say £1000.00, lets say it saves £150.00 per year, now let put that £1000 in TSB on high interest at 2% £20 per interest per annum tax paid, get the maths now. It might pay to borrow the £1000 from TSB to have the valves fitted.

My hoose is zoned and communal areas do get bit warm if all zones are on and all doors open but then upper floors just don't come on.

Ermi,

I know me and you don't always see things eye to eye but you must be the next only person of this forum who understands that whole house zoning really works, it is refreshing to
see you taking the initiative to zone your house I know they are not all time zone and temp, but it would not take much to do it.

Good luck with your lower than average running costs Ermi

Tony

£150 is still a bit optimistic if you ask me. Using the highest average figure of 20,000kwh - 4000kwh for hot water allowance so 16,000kwh. A 10% saving say for zoning would be a fair guess I would say? So 1600kwh annually x 0.045 = £72

So, the customer pays £1000 for zoning the payback (without any allowance for price increase) is approx 13.5 years. There's also no allowance for maintenance.

larger houses yes, averages houses no in my opinion.

Last edited:
£150 is still a bit optimistic if you ask me. Using the highest average figure of 20,000kwh - 4000kwh for hot water allowance so 16,000kwh. A 10% saving say for zoning would be a fair guess I would say? So 1600kwh annually x 0.045 = £72

So, the customer pays £1000 for zoning the payback (without any allowance for price increase) is approx 13.5 years.

Have taken into account gas rising at 10% per year or maybe even 15% per year, who knows, this is like rolling rocks down hill and pushing them back up again, just best sticking to whatever you do now hey, that's what we have always done. I don't think Ermi has wasted his time with what he has done and he doesn't either.

Last edited by a moderator:
In bigger properties, definitely yes. Your average three bed, no, it won't pay you back.

Not really happy flyer, just because I don't agree with your wildly optimistic figures doesn't mean I'm a closed book. In fact quite the opposite. How though, do you expect to give your customers honest and accurate advice if the figures don't stack up? Do you expect them (or us) to believe you just because you said so? That's not how I operate, rather I like to give them some solid figures to dwell on and decide whether its want they want or not.

Simple zoning doesn't work for other reasons, for example zoning bedrooms independently to living space is fine until you have children that go to bed at 6-7-8pm. Most wouldn't put the kids to bed in a cold room to save a few quid, you might?

complicated zoning costs a fortune and I still don't see the benefits as a retro fit with un insulated intermediate floors, losing heat from downstairs to upstairs, educating the customers to close all the doors etc most don't even turn the lights off when they leave a room!

Not really happy flyer, just because I don't agree with your wildly optimistic figures doesn't mean I'm a closed book. In fact quite the opposite. How though, do you expect to give your customers honest and accurate advice if the figures don't stack up? Do you expect them (or us) to believe you just because you said so? That's not how I operate, rather I like to give them some solid figures to dwell on and decide whether its want they want or not.

Simple zoning doesn't work for other reasons, for example zoning bedrooms independently to living space is fine until you have children that go to bed at 6-7-8pm. Most wouldn't put the kids to bed in a cold room to save a few quid, you might?

complicated zoning costs a fortune and I still don't see the benefits as a retro fit with un insulated intermediate floors, losing heat from downstairs to upstairs, educating the customers to close all the doors etc most don't even turn the lights off when they leave a room!

Nostrum,

After all this above I am beat and whacked, my head hurts, Churchill said " you can fool some of the people some of the time, but not all of the people all of the time" with that little well known gem I rest my my case, I will go with you for now, heating controls if they be temp or time & temp will never ever catch on, not worth a toss, is that better, I am a Nostrum convert, I have seen the light, just let it all hang out, peace man, use as much energy as you like, someone else will always find more, they always do....but not shale gas we don't like that one.

Wonder if I can convert Ermi, take all that zoning tosh out he installed, wonder where he got that idea from, college maybe, reading to many books and glossy magazine off plumbing trade counters. :aureola:

Last edited by a moderator:
Ermi,

I know me and you don't always see things eye to eye but you must be the next only person of this forum who understands that whole house zoning really works, it is refreshing to
see you taking the initiative to zone your house I know they are not all time zone and temp, but it would not take much to do it.

Good luck with your lower than average running costs Ermi

Tony

All my zones are time and temp with Myson mprtrf controllers in almost every room. Downstairs loo is on same ufh as kitchen tho. It's expensive to do £300 per room ish excluding labour

All my zones are time and temp with Myson mprtrf controllers in almost every room. Downstairs loo is on same ufh as kitchen tho. It's expensive to do £300 per room ish excluding labour

Now you have done it in Ermi these guys will believe you rather than me but £300 a zone, never, I wouldn't like you to come and work for me, your lunch breaks are longer than the working day, I suppose you are good, but not fast yet, that will come with practice, still keep plunging at the energy conservation, its only energy conversation on here.

Now you have done it in Ermi these guys will believe you rather than me but £300 a zone, never, I wouldn't like you to come and work for me, your lunch breaks are longer than the working day, I suppose you are good, but not fast yet, that will come with practice, still keep plunging at the energy conservation, its only energy conversation on here.

Dear Mr Happyflyer, chill out. A lot of us don't agree with you accept it and move on darling.

Now I am being bullied and I have ever right to put my point across as forcefully as you and you accept mine point of view you are not on your own with your slant on
the none sensible use of a finite resource, energy.

It's not my intention to bully anyone! If you feel bullied by me I am sorry for making you feel that way. You are obviously a knowledgable engineer, but I this case I don't fully agree with you.

Now I am being bullied and I have ever right to put my point across as forcefully as you and you accept mine point of view you are not on your own with your slant on

Everybody has a right to an opinion on the forum imho. However nobody has to accept anyone's opinion. A discussion about people's different views is good and having read this thread I think saying that you are being bullied is wrong, people just don't agree with you. Doesn't make them right or you right, it's just life. If everybody agreed with each other it would be a really boring world.

£300 is cheap, didn't include rads.
2 port Honeywell £45 plus
Myson mprtrf £79 plus
Pipe work and insulation £120 plus
Roughly £300.
It's a reasonable sized house and manifolds are near boiler or service riser.

As for time and practice ? Granny eggs you shall suck?

Bullying now your being very silly
Man up is this Girl Scouts

when I did energy efficiency even a terrace house needs zoning now only single open plans don't - but heard they are changing it back to how it was next year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Zoning education. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock