Search the forum,

Discuss Zero ground clearance under single panel rad in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi there,

I live in a fairly old house, which seems to have had some interesting modifications quite some time ago.

This includes our lounge radiator. It is mounted less than 5mm above the solid floor, and then a thick pile carpet has been crammed underneath, resulting in zero air flow into the bottom. How much is this likely to hinder its performance? There is approx 300mm clearance above to the window sill, so I'm not sure why it would have been mounted this way in the first place. Any thoughts, or should I just extend/replace the pipes from beneath the floor to raise it a little?

Thanks in advance.
JB

Is it a modern convection heater ??

It will hinder it a lot. They mainly heat by convection and need to be a decent distance above the floor. Manufacturers will always give a distance above floor level. (6" is approx right there and there about's),

That's what I figured. Thanks, and it depends on your definition of modern I suppose. It's likely as old as the extension, so 70s.

Well as in does it have fins and act as a convector heater or is it just a flat radiant panel. Either way it's not gonna work well.

is it electric? :)

take the rad off and try lifting the pipes sounds like some numpty has re-hung the rad brackets in the wrong holes !!

Nah, it's oil fired CH. but yes, that does sound quite likely.
And yes, it's just a standard single panel, like this:
single-convector-steel-single-panel-radiator-diagram.jpg

Maybe the floor has been levelled through and the radiator not repositioned higher?

ok thanks all. It's a pretty big room, over 300sqft, so really need it working at full capacity. I'll raise it a few inches and hopefully we'll notice the difference!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Zero ground clearance under single panel rad in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock