Discuss Young Plumber Immigrating. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am a 16 year old who has aspirations to become a plumber. To me the problem wont be, not having the skills, as I have confidence in myself to do a job well done. One of my main worries is not being able to find work in the one place I've dreamed of working in,. LA. I have dreams of working in Los Angeles as a Plumber and have done most of my homework. However what I can't seem to find anywhere is what the Plumbing environment is like out in California. Someone please help me and fill me in.

Thanks.

Firstly do you have any entitlement to Live in the USA?

If not you'll find it virtually impossible to get there and train to do a job that anyone of 10's of thousands of USA Citizens could do.

Firstly do you have any entitlement to Live in the USA?

If not you'll find it virtually impossible to get there and train to do a job that anyone of 10's of thousands of USA Citizens could do.

What do you mean entitlement? Thanks for the reply.

If you are not born there isn't easy to get an work visa a lot of requirements to fulfill

I am a 16 year old who has aspirations to become a plumber. To me the problem wont be, not having the skills, as I have confidence in myself to do a job well done...

Your current plan is essentially the plot to a 1970s **** movie:

Step 1: Train as plumber
Step 2: Move to LA
Step 3: Do work on Movie Star's house
Step 4: Marry Movie Star

but this is only going to work in practice if you change the order a bit:

Step 1: Marry Movie Star
Step 2: Move to LA
Step 3: Train as plumber
Step 4: Do work on Movie Star's house

I think the OP needs to move to LA first. Can't see training in UK and moving to the USA after to be the best solution: his qualifications probably won't be valid in USA so he may struggle to get a contractor's licence (or license, as they'll spell it); his experience will be from the UK so work will be problematic as he'll not be familiar with the fittings and systems in use in the USA.
Not saying impossible, but if the OP has thought this through, I wonder what he thinks of my comments above?
This is an interesting thread though: aspiring to work as a plumber in LA is very specific...

The USA is near on impossible to emigrate to from the UK.

Unless you have family ties or dual citizenship you got no chance I'm afraid. Failing that you need 500,000 dollars in the bank, which at your age I'm assuming you don't have!

Sorry to burst your bubble but I always wanted to do something like that when I was younger. Got more chance of going to Canada or New Zealand mate

My mate actually married an American and it was a ridiculous amount of work for him to get accepted into the U.S. There's a lot of hoops to go through, as has been said really difficult without family I'm afraid

A lot of the plumbing in The US is different to UK. Apart from this, in most, if not all states, you need to be licenced to be a plumber. In The Uk, you can legally operate as a plumber without any qualifications in the trade. US, you need licence (bit like UK Gassafe) for plumbing, then one for gas/HVAC. All of your work has to be to 'code', and the standards are quite high. Even different states have different codes.

As said above, unfortunately it's very difficult to live and work legally in The US if you are a foreign national. If you had a skill that has a shortage there, it may be easier. USA isn't short of plumbers though. So unless you're wealthy, have close family connections or marry a Yank, it will be virtually impossible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Young Plumber Immigrating. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.
Back