Search the forum,

Discuss yorkshire plus solder? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

traineedrip

Ive been doing lots of endfeed practice and im getting there. helped out a family experienced diy`er move some rads and we used yorkshire.

was very impressed on the neatness, perfect silver line around the joint.... until family member insisted on adding more solder to it! in my mind it made them pointless and he`d be better off with end feed.

so. do you add more solder to yorkshire fittings or use them alone?

basic question i know:eek:

once it looks like a nice seal around the fitting/pipe it generally is . i see lads horsing on solder -these guys doubt themselves .i d say.

Why use solder ring fittings anyway? they are 3 times the price and look unsightly. You would be better off practicing with end feed.
Steve

Why use solder ring fittings anyway? they are 3 times the price and look unsightly. You would be better off practicing with end feed.
Steve

Wasnt my idea Steve. And due to cost i wont be doing much practice! (more than happy with end feed, and i think it requires more skill + cheap for practice) But i think being proficent in both fittings is the way forward if only for confidence.

Just had it in my mind that solder ring would be ok without more solder, and going by Buffys post, it should be. If it isnt then its my soldering rather than the fitting.

Thanks for setting my mind straight:eek:

how does a yorky fitting look unsightly?
how is having the correct amount of solder in each fitting a bad move
In the eighties a pal of mine worked for the local council, who stopped using end feed types, changed to yorkshires and saved ÂŁ100,000 on rolls of solder. they issued none to any plumbers use the correct size flame and flux,the ring runs cleanly,wiped with DRY clean cloth and BINGO perfection

also the smaller fittings 15,22,28 are reasonable

Last edited by a moderator:
Yorkshire fittings are unsightly when compared to E/F especially when painted, but thats just my opinion.
Obviously having the right amount of solder on each fitting is not a bad move, but why would you have the wrong amount with an end feed if you are a skilled tradesman.
If I am to believe that the council saved ÂŁ100 K, it would be more likely due to the fittings being accoutable for and the solder sold at boot fairs etc. Also have you never seen the bunches of grapes that council plumbers used to decorate their joints with?
The fittings 15,22,28 are far more expensive unless they knocked off from a council.

Trainee
You don't need to add extra solder but at least you have gained valuable experiance using different types of fitting.

I use end feed for 99% of stuff but do carry yorkshire for using in "tight" spots where its not easy to get right round the joint. Cost is a big issue , bags of end feed are pennies compared to yorkshire.

i agree with nickh yorkshire are good in tight spots but are more money. i got told in college that yorkshire fittings have 7 time the amount of solder acturally needed so theres no need to add more solder, unless like when i first started you burn the heck out of the fitting with mapp gas and have to resolder it, my college tutor didnt like that :)

There is a real danger that if you add too much solder to a joint (any joint) an 'icicle' of solder will end up inside the pipe, which can later break off and cause problems.

I had just such a case recently, where the 'icicle' had moved along the pipework till it met a motorised valve and jammed it, resulting in the plastic gears shearing and wrecking the valve, which had to be replaced at great expense (to the customer of course!)

Will it make the fitting leak over time if adding extra solder ?

No, it should actually help make a good joint IMO, but you just want to add a little extra solder and not overdo it. Certainly risk of solder running inside pipes, but that is also true of end feed fittings.
If you did overheat a Yorkshire fitting, you will be at risk of a leak, so I would recommend you have a roll of lead free solder at hand. Also wire solder is good for adding flux to the joint as you heat it.

well I doubt it if anybody ever saved 100k back in the eighties on council work!! even tho I wasn't born I guess solder was even cheaper back then ! I use Yorkshire fitting at work , very handy in awkward places. but I always use end feed at my own jobs, solder always runs down pipe when using Yorkshire fitting in my opinion, would never use them In a cylinder cupboard or boiler room etc.

Like other's have said, what is the point in using more expensive Yorkshire fittings if you're going to add solder anyway? Totally defeats the point of buying them in the first place. I just use end feed unless I have to solder in a place I could only get one arm in.

Pay three times the cost of an end feed and then basically use it like an end feed fitting!

The fella I served my time with insists on Yorkshire, so I've ended up using them just out of habit, although I use both I prefer Yorkshire now, I find if you add your flux make the joint remove excess flux before soldering you don't get any runs at all

I find Yorkshire or End feed both fine to do proper neat joints.

Disadvantages of Yorkshire,
1, Generally more expensive,
2, Usually dirty inside fitting & below the solder ring
3, Internal groove breaks capillary action
5, Can't have one side soldered first if you need to do, say just a branch which would be awkward to solder in place

Advantages of Yorkshire
Handy to just heat carefully until you see solder ring around edges.
Particularily in awkward tight spot.

Disadvantages of End feed
Very few, except you have to end feed solder

Advantages of End feed
1, Cheaper
2, Can use cheaper leaded solder which is also easier to use and good for heating systems
3, Cleaner, smoother fitting inside
4, No groove inside
5, Can be soldered one end of fitting out of place

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to yorkshire plus solder? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock