Search the forum,

Discuss Y Valve Strainer / Filter Position Which Way Around in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

wildhorses

Hi I'm putting a Y value on to strain out the rubbish. It has a gauze basket that I can put in for a week each year to remove larger lumps and debris from the system.

So I'm fitting the valve and will remove the gauze basket for the majority of the time. Not fitting a system filter so don't need any advice in that regard thanks.

What I would like to know is which way around is it better to fit it. There is a arrow which I will align with the flow (and this is obvious so it can catch the bits on the return flow before they get into the boiler). Got isolators before and after etc

But does the Plug and trap bit go upside down or towards the ceiling or does it not matter, which if this is the case I might put it side on as cleaning would be easier.

_______
...../
..../

or

.....\
......\
----------

thanks

Basket on the bottom to catch debris, if its on top and bits might just fall back into the pipe when the pump id off.
Probably best left in permanently and cleaned out regularly.

Why are you asking this if you're not going to leave the strainer in permanently? What a waste of time! Where did you pick that idea up from?

Where will the rubbish be hiding for the other 51 weeks of the year?

Wasn't this question asked already and the answer was its pointless as the strainer will block up far to quickly if your draining it to put a strainer in just do it properly and put a filter in even though its not what you wanna hear, as Rams told you a week ago it will block easily and leave you with no flow just either flush with a good cleaner and inhibit or powerflush this strainer idea is a non starter

Last edited:
wildhorses, in your other posts recently you mentioned moving the hot water cylinder and re routing feed and vent pipes.
surely with all this work going on there would be the possibility of fitting a magnetic cleaner somewhere??
ideally it needs to be fitted on the return closest to the boiler to protect the boiler heat exchanger becoming blocked,
but it would be better to fit one some where/anywhere on the system than not to

seems to be some confusion here, some people are saying it will block all the time, some people saying it needs to be left on. Some people are saying Y filters are a non starter but as far as I'm aware they are 1000's of these fitted. They get blocked the boiler overheats and signals an overheat/low flow code and shutsdown, the service engineer cleans it out starts it up and away you go, or clean it out myself it seems pretty easy. The idea was to get any larger bit's of sedimant out of the system after a power flush (that may still come lose) as a lot of the original pipework has been rejigged. I'd prefer that I caused a blockage in the 22mm Y Valve then in the heat exchanger that on the boiler. In reality if it does not cause too much flow reduction I will just leave it in.

As stated before I cannot get a magnaclean or such other in as far as I'm aware, this needs to be in the return to the boiler , that is common i.e. not on the HWC side or the Rads side so hence I have about a three foot section of pipe which is above some kitchen cabinets, it goes past a wall vent past an extractor hob canopy and has pipes above and below it. The rest of the pipework to the pump runs though the floor and a wall so no room there. If I decide to refit the kitchen then I'll move a cabinet to leave some space or make a false back to a cuboard so I can have a system filter but at the moment no.

It's not about if I don't want to hear the advice or not. The boiler maker is quite happy with a y filter so I was just looking to work out the best way round.

thanks

Hello, if you have had it powerflushed properly and the pipe layout is good - rejigged or otherwise then with the right inhibitor you do not need to worry - the boiler peeps just need to know it was clean and then inhibited. A filter or strainer is belt and braces. If it is now or was a sealed system then any addition is overkill as you will not get corrosion of any significance but you might need a convenient way to top up inhibitor on a sealed system.

if you can get a y filter in then any decent plumber can get a magnaclean or equivalent in, as far as blockages go, if a y filter blocks that would reduce flow to the boiler and possibly cause damage to a low water content heat ex, which is why the magnacleans etc are designed to keep hi flo rates should they be full. Afterall a magna clean is designed to pick up the magnatite and crud in your system that will block your heat exchanger and thats what your trying to avoid!! Overall you need to talk to an experienced engineer and get him or her to install the kit, as you show a total lack of comprehension of whats needed based on your original quetsion on how to fit a filter!:chillpill: now having said that ,you have something else to think about thats already been said by the others, prehaps you should listen to the advice you asked for.

if you fit a y strainer go up one size larger than the pipework they are very restrictive

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Y Valve Strainer / Filter Position Which Way Around in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock