Search the forum,

Discuss Y plan rads heating up when hot water on in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Subby

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Hi all. I have a problem with the rads heating up when there is call for hot water only on a small 5 radiator y plan system with regular boiler, grundfos alpha 2l pump , nest 3rd gen stat and drayton 3 port.
When the thermostat calls for heat the valve switches over, boiler fires and pump runs, the rads start to heat up a little , it does not appear that the 3 port valve is passing as the heating pipe at the valve stays cool. Is there some other way that heat could be leaking to the rads? The rads are piped up with 10mm.

I've got a feeling the cylinder return is not the last return, it may even be the first (the furthest from boiler)

You have a similar problem as Dempseys post the same action is needed to cure the problem regards kop

Thanks I think his problem is zone valve passing, my problem appears to be "reverse circulation" as the cylinder return is not the last tee before the boiler.
I am trying to get my head around this reverse circulation.
Am I right in thinking if the cylinder return is not the last tee, then hot water flows through the coil, down the cylinder return, then through the return of a radiator further down the line out through the flow and then around the other rads through the flow pipes, out the returns back to the boiler . Is this what is happening?
Why does this only happen if the cylinder return is not the last tee?
As a side note, Are bi directional trvs a bad idea on this type of system as they allow the water to flow backwards through the radiator?
Just trying to make sense of it

If you are confident the valve is working as it should you could try fitting a non return valve just after the return connection from the cylinder where it tees back in the common return back to the boiler , this would stop heat creeping down the return pipework and warming the radiators when the hotwater is heating cheers kop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Y plan rads heating up when hot water on in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello. I've just replaced our old Potterton EP2 CH controller with a Drayton Wiser HubR (& peripherals). The old backing plate wasn't compatible with the new universal one, but the wiring was pretty close AFAICT (N, L, 1, 3 & 4 connected) .When I first powered it up but didn't have any TRVs...
Replies
Views
Customer complained of hot water tank getting hot when no demand Y plan system couldn't see any issues so I watched it Timer set to CH only, HW off Thermostat turned to on Heating comes on as normal, valve moved to CH position After around 20 minutes the 3 way valve moves to mid point and...
Replies
Views
When I put the central heating on the hot water gets drawn through the pump but is then being diverted straight back to the boiler instead of the rads What is this, and how likely is it that it is faulty? That sits in between the hot water to the rads and hot water to the hot water tank...
Replies
Views
I have had a problem where 2 downstair radiators are not heating up the same as the rest of the radiators around the house, now previously i had an electric boiler which heated all the radiators just fine, but around a few years ago i had a gas one fitted and the radiators in the living and...
Replies
Views
G
I've just bought a 3-floor house with a gas boiler on the ground floor and hot water tank on the middle floor. When I switch on the hot water at the timer panel, it works but it also heats up all the radiators above ground floor. I have to close them individually to stop this. The rads aren't...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock