Search the forum,

Discuss Wrench/pump pliers for chrome work ? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Sanke

Hi guys
Usually when fitting chrome showers taps etc I wrap my pliers with a towel or wrap the nut with insulation tape What do you guys normally do ?

Use these

knipex.JPG

or these
bahco.JPG

If just using an adj wrench how to you ensure the chrome isn't scratched ?

I read a tip on this forum not too long ago about using leather to protect the chrome.

yea bachos for me to,what knipex is that tamz?

Smooth faced cobra's. You can get them for around ÂŁ40. Not cheap but quality tools.
Sometimes better than an adjustable as they won't slip. They won't mark chrome.

A tip for anyone buying tools.
Buy the best you can afford........then when you can afford it, buy the best;)

Had a set of Facom's years ago and they were decent enough grips.
Tried and bought most types over the years as i have an obsession with buying tools:eek:
Used knipex for the past 20 odd years as they suit me, mainly alligators for everyday use. They are a permanent fixture in my back pocket!
You can abuse them any way you like and they will never slip or strip or catch your fingers. The new 250 ones have 9 adjustments instead of 7 so open up enough to grab an 1 1/2" nut like the bahco's. I didn't like them to begin with but now think they are better than the old ones. It is just what you get used to.

This guy is doing them at a good price
Knipex Alligator Waterpump Pliers 88 01 250 75355 NS on eBay (end time 23-Nov-10 23:52:42 GMT)

now that is a good price tbh the knips are my preferd grips but set number 4?5? 8? etc have gone missing left on job /apprentice lost them(later being quite likely) so fancied a change

I used to buy them by the display box load but the more you have the more you loose.
The biggest problem is laziness on my part, leaving the apprentice to tidy the tools away.
You just need to slap him a bit harder:p

I used to buy them by the display box load but the more you have the more you loose.
The biggest problem is laziness on my part, leaving the apprentice to tidy the tools away.
You just need to slap him a bit harder:p

now thats the best idea i have heard all week

if he gets there LOL you have probably been to the arms and read that thread but i am cool now dont want to kill him anymore just hate him instead

some cheap pump pliers come with removable plastic teeth, rubbish for anything else though. machine mart do a set.

Ive always used bahco myself but came across these online has anyone ever used them are they much good?

[DLMURL]http://www.monument-tools.com/web_images/72dpi_min500pix_A/MON2023.JPG[/DLMURL]

Last edited by a moderator:
On a similar line. How do you get those tiny chrome plated plastic buttons off that conceal the grub screws in taps.
Any ideas.
Thanks,
Malc.

Ive always used bahco myself but came across these online has anyone ever used them are they much good?

[DLMURL]http://www.monument-tools.com/web_images/72dpi_min500pix_A/MON2023.JPG[/DLMURL]

they are rubbish

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Wrench/pump pliers for chrome work ? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

So you just bought or moved into the house, switched on the heating, and only some radiators are completely hot, while others are lukewarm with coldspots in the middle, and the gas/oil bill was massive while most rooms are struggling to reach even 18C and pose a heath risk? The previous...
Replies
Views
M
priced a job there for a bathroom swap with shower tray, bath, basin, toilet and chrome towel rad and shower pump at hot water cylinder quoted ÂŁ780 including materials the sanitaryware were in same position slight connection changes offcourse and towel rad moving about 2 feet. and shower...
Replies
Views
C
Hello Can anyone advise be on what pipe wrench to buy, I have decided on Rigid but cannot determine what model to go for. Heavy Duty or Aluminium, what do you guys think/recommend? 18". Link> Wrenches - RIDGID Professional Tools
Replies
Views
T
I visited a customer yesterday afternoon as her megaflo leaking, slow dripping water from the base onto the base support. After checking usual spots I noticed water under the red plastic cover on the outlet, prised a section of to get a better look and found a nice "pond" around the hot outlet...
Replies
Views
Robtheplumb
R
D
I am a bit ashamed i have to ask this as i am a qualified plumber,although i took early retirment about 10 years ago. I have no real knowledge at all when it comes to combi boilers at all. Anyway my daughter has just moved into a new house,which has a Glow Worm Betacom combi boiler fitted. There...
Replies
Views
denwyn
D
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock