Search the forum,

Discuss Would you go ahead and install? in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Hey guys,

First time installing shower tray at home, its a Mira Flight Low , 1400x900 onto marine ply floor which has been strengthened with noggins as much as possible. Turns out I've got a high point of +3mm in one corner (with the level across the edges). I've done a basic water flow test and it appears fine, but its clearly nothing like simulating a running shower. I've checked the inner tray with a smaller level and there is a clear run to the waste from all sides, but more pronounced on the side with the 3mm high point.

I was intending to use CT1 to bed the tray as can forsee me making the levels worse if I attempt to bed on sand / cement mix.

1. Would you attempt to correct the 3mm when fixing the tray
2. Would it be feasible to simply add less silicone to the high area (still some) in the hope it would reduce the difference?

Shame as all the other measurements a bob on, I'm basically cautious of messing round too much with the levels as I'll likely make things worse! Plus, I was hoping to have the tiling done this weekend!

Thanks in advance, ANY advice / views are very much appreciated.

G

Thanks Simon.

Assuming that would need the ply covered with SBR?

Worth saying that the ‘bob on’ measurements are exact and the tray is VERY snug between the 3 walls, meaning that it will be a significant challenge laying onto a bed of adhesive or cement without making a hash of it.

would you advise against trying to level with the silicone as it won’t work or because your preference is for adhesive?

really appreciatethe response

Too many pipes for insulation or anything between joists.

I've dumped a load of water from a big Flexi-bucket onto the tray. Theres some migration to the lower side, but not enough to come close to spilling over the side. There is a still a decent fall INSIDE the tray and all water drains away.

I'm looking at using a self leveller and then silicone, or just silicone. Sand / cement or adhesive won't be an option as I'll have to remove the backer boards.

We advise against silicone because it allows movement which you don’t want. It is also against manufacturer instructions for the same reason.

As SimonG says, your best bet is flexible tile adhesive - use rapid set as you said you wanted to tile it asap.

If you’re on marine ply then prime it with acrylic primer first ( if you already have sbr that’s fine too).

If you have to remove the backer boards then do so, or are you just waiting for someone to validate your method?

We advise against silicone because it allows movement which you don’t want. It is also against manufacturer instructions for the same reason.

As SimonG says, your best bet is flexible tile adhesive - use rapid set as you said you wanted to tile it asap.

If you’re on marine ply then prime it with acrylic primer first ( if you already have sbr that’s fine too).

If you have to remove the backer boards then do so, or are you just waiting for someone to validate your method?

Thanks Ben Gee

Silicone is advised for securing to the ply on the manufacturers instructions, that or sand cement.

Yes, waiting for someone to validate!

Likely going to remove the backer boards. Discovered the level I've been using was duff, bought a new one and sods law I've found one of the shower walls is 4 mm out as well. Tiling should be fun.

Should have paid an expert to do it or checked my spirit level for accuracy. Idiot. Not a happy man.

Could be worse, you could have paid an idiot to do it! (masquerading as a professional)

At least you’ll know it is all done right, and you’ve got a nice new shiny level too.

Good luck, sounds as though you are being nice and thorough so should turn out well.

Reply to Would you go ahead and install? in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi Everyone, For those who like a long read but I could rally do with some advice. Might be a bit long this. For background. A gardener/landscaping friend of mine is going to install an irrigation system in a customer's garden. He asked me to pop around and measure the pressures and flowrates...
Replies
Views
Hello. This is my first ever post asking for help. I had a bathroom renovation done early this year which I did myself. I wanted to have a low level shower tray sitting flush to the ground and was not able to get access to the main vented stack as it's boxed in from the inside of the house and...
Replies
Views
Hi I've fitted the above that has a 400 fixed panel and the sliding door which means the door is restricted to opening 400mm. The customer is unable to enter it as he is not small enough, so l will have to adapt or replace it for him. Its on a sit on 100mm high acrylic tray, another point he is...
Replies
Views
N
Hey guys, I've searched the forum, but haven't found anything useful. I don't know the name of the thing I'm looking for, so I apologize in advance if this is something basic that I should have found in a search. So basically, my electrician is an old fella who doesn't know much about heating...
Replies
Views
I am generally a decent handyman, can usually make 2+2=4 and take care of most things to avoid troubling experts with just the basics, but know also not to bumble around blindly beyond that. We moved house last week and with the glorious hot weather we weren't bothered about the heating, more...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock